Wednesday, November 20, 2013

A Post Where I Pretend Blogspot is Livejournal

quite possibly the only orange thing i own
a silly old Photobooth pic to set the mood 

Remember doing little surveys like this? It reminds me so much of Livejournal, and especially the ones Sarah and I would always fill out. Those were the days, right? At least my favorite "online" kind of days!

Anyway, I know I always love reading things like this on the blogs I read, so I figured I would do it too. If you're a long time reader everything below may be old news to you, but maybe a few of you will learn something new about me that we can connect on. I've seen this around a lot lately, but most recently saw it on the darling Cam's blog. Here we go!

1. When did you first start blogging and why?

I started officially "blogging" here in November of 2008, although I had been online journaling (via Livejournal) since 1999/2000. That is SO crazy to me, to think I've been part of an online community for such a long time. In fact, I still am friends with some of my LJ friends from back in the day. It's pretty amazing.

2. Have you had any past online presence?
Yes, Livejournal like I mentioned above. I started the whole online thing though back in middle school in the 90s with AOL, then of course AIM in college. Friendster. Myspace. Etc.

3. When did you become serious about your blog?
I never started this blog with the intention of being a "blogger," or gaining an audience. That happened the more I wrote, but even when I had just a couple of readers I always took it seriously, because writing has always been a big part of my life and I would have continued to write, audience or not.


4. What was your first blog post?
My first blog post was almost five years ago to the day, just kind of talking about why I was making the switch over to a blogspot account.

5. What have been your biggest challenges blogging?
Challenges have come in waves, and changed a lot as a grew as a person, which also meant I was growing as a blogger. I think the biggest challenge for me was really getting to a place where I'd be writing and sharing, regardless of who was reading. And more so, truly not caring about negative comments, nonconstructive criticism, whatever...and really not caring, not just pretending not to care like I had for so long. When I got past that, it was like I had a renewed love for this space, and I haven't looked back since. Now my biggest challenge is making sure I'm protecting my children and their privacy, while at the same time documenting and sharing our life. It's tricky. I wrote more about that here.

6. What is the most rewarding thing about blogging?
Two things: one, that I am able to go back and read my thoughts from any given day- having this space as a time capsule of my life. That's really the coolest thing about having a Livejournal from so long ago- being able to ask myself "what was I doing on this day, in say...2001?" And knowing the answer. And two- the community. I've met some of my most favorite people and a number of close friends from blogging and I'm so grateful for it.

7. What is the most discouraging thing about blogging?
Nothing really. And this might be a weird answer, but I think it makes sense because it wasn't always my answer. Now, more than ever, I appreciate this space so much and I look forward to coming here. I don't feel discouraged by it in the least. But if you would have asked me a couple of years ago I would have said I felt discouraged when I compared myself to others or something in that vein. Now I just remember that this is my story, and I'm the only one who can tell it. That's a pretty powerful thing.

8. What is your lasting inspiration or motivation?
I get inspiration from everywhere, but I always feel most motivated and inspired to write after I read a good memoir or a blog where the writer really writes.

9. What is your blogging dirty little secret?
I don't know if it's a dirty little secret, but every single blog post you see is done either during naptime or after the kids go to bed. People often ask me how I find the time to still blog regularly with two little people running around, and really, I just make the time once they are asleep. Writing is my outlet, so I have to do it. And it's really as simple as that. It's a big part of my "me" time, and similarly to working out, it's how I de-stress and feel like I'm using my brain.

10. What is your current goal as a blogger?
My biggest goal right now is to continue to write things that are true to ME. In 2014 I really want to focus on telling my story, because that's why I started this space and have continued to share here. 

11. Have you learned or become passionate about anything through blogging that caught you by surprise?
Totally. The biggest thing would be photography. I absolutely love taking pictures, and although I enjoyed it before blogging ever was part of my life, it really allowed me to explore that interest a lot more.

xoxo

p.s. if you decide to fill this out too, be sure to link me below!

26 comments:

  1. Your "Livejournal" writing style is what keeps me coming back to your blog time and time again. :) It's pretty easy to lose authenticity as a blogger. I feel like your commitment to fostering community on your blog and telling your story (in your own voice) is what your readers appreciate most. Just sending a little blogging love your way. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww Mollie thank you so much! This comment made my morning and I really appreciate it. <3

      Delete
  2. I was the same way, I was never intending on blogging or being a blogger, It started out as something just to express thoughts, and now I can't stop! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I think that's the best way to keep doing ANYTHING, blogging or whatever. Do it because you love it.

      Delete
  3. OOOH the days of livejournal. I just made a blog very recently, and haven't posted anything yet.. (i've been following several blogs forever) but I always had a livejournal, and I love this post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh how fun- I love fresh spaces! When you start blogging be sure to send me a link! :)

      Delete
  4. I love going through my old livejournal posts too. Your writing style is fantastic & looking forward to reading more from you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks lady! And oh gosh, I love that so much too. I sucked into a blackhole of old posts last night! haha.

      Delete
  5. I love this! I actually hadn't even heard of LiveJournal before…Haha, b/c I'm a blogger that started smack in the middle of motherhood and now I am trying to catch up with all of you young things! :) Love your heart. Great Qs and As…

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay for mamas! Lots of love to you! <3

      Delete
  6. This is great! I love your blog for its honesty and outlook on motherhood, it real and refreshing!! I am new to blogging, and it is an outlet for me more than anything else. But I am also loving the fact that I am able to relive moments with my kids through various posts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Kelsey! Your comments means a lot to me :D

      Delete
  7. I love reading about your progress. As a new-ish blogger, it's really interesting to read about someone else's progression. I was pretty slow to the online community, but at a certain point I knew I wanted to have a space to think about motherhood, to share, not just reflect. I'm so glad that you have such a healthy relationship with your space. It reflects in your writing, always.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Rachel! I think having a space of your own (online or off, really) is so important. After all this time I feel like I'm REALLY understanding that now.

      Delete
  8. I love this... all of this. Especially number 8! I feel like there are so many blogs out there following the trendy route so when I find one (like yours) that has a real talent for writing and keeps the focus on the message and the content and the story itself instead of pinterest-worthy graphics, I hold onto it with both hands. I love these questions. I love your answers. I just love your blog.

    Stop by sometime, let's be friends. ;) www.bradleycowan.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brad! Thanks so much. Your words mean so much to me. I can't wait and check out your blog later today. :)

      Delete
  9. I still check my LJ from time to time to read about myself in the early 00s. Its pretty funny to look back and see myself still kind of the same, but lightyears apart from where I am now. Even though my LJ name was Lynn XXX, I'd probably still use that haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! Funny thing- I went to log on yesterday and it had disappeared! I almost cried but then realized I had the wrong username somehow. Heart attack! LJ love forever ;)

      Delete
  10. I'm glad I got to see your post about blogging about your kids because I've taken a huge step back from blogging. I didn't feel comfortable with the fact that Logan's face is just out there for the world to see. She's on my blog, on apartment therapy, on pinterest, and on my instagram (though it's private). I kept thinking about Katie (Skunkboy) and her daughters image being used for a pedophiles intagram.. I thought about how smart it was of Ashley (under the Sycamore) to not use her children's names at all.. I thought about Logan not having a choice.
    It's hard to find a happy medium because being a mom is all that I know right now. She is my whole life and that's what I write about. I'm still trying to navigate through my feelings and trying to figure out how to continue to have a writing outlet with my blog, without compromising Logan's safety or well being.
    xo
    Ali

    whenlifegivesyoumellins.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. I loved reading this! It's so fun getting a peak into your head. ML

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm so happy you posted this, and I whole-heartedly appreciate your explanation of "needing" to write.

    With my wily wee ones running rampant, I sometimes feel that blogging is the only time I have that's truly my own- no milk to pour, no stories to read in silly voices, no crazy hair to unknot. Just me and my thoughts...

    And MAN, I would've loved to have had you in our English department if we'd have been teachers in the same high school. You probably left your kiddos with incredible lessons, sista!

    Here's to keepin' it real!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love your blog and thank you so much for sharing your answers to these questions :) It was fun to get to know you a little bit more!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Finally got around to it! http://www.niceties.co.nz/2013/11/blog-q.html

    ReplyDelete
  15. World Most popular Upcoming Latest cars and vehicles, Latest Mazda Models, Racing Cars, International Sport Cars, Concept Cars, PS-Pod, Strange Vehicles, Nissan, Royce Corniche, Ford Concept Cars, Strange Vehicles, Mercedes and More Sport Cars and Vehicles with Pictures and Info
    WorldLatestVehicles.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. thnx for the information..
    blog is really gud,Help my india is the World Best Forum and Blogging Site which provides the all category of forum and blogging and Social Community site.

    Online Communities











    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips