Monday, November 4, 2013

Currently.

Untitled

Reading: So I have a big pile of books to dig into, including Dinner: A Love Story and Replay. I recently finished up this book (review to come) and I have been wanting to read the rest of her books too- any recs on which to start with? The past couple of weeks I've been pretty slow with reading, and it makes me so sad. I love finishing book after book, and I feel like I'm happiest when my book consumption well outweighs my television watching. On nights when Hank's at band practice and once the boys go to sleep I have a couple of choices- I can work on my blog (although that's usually naptime business for me), I can watch television, or I can read for a couple of hours. Recently I've been so sucked into watching random television I haven't made much time for books and I feel totally unbalanced. Can anyone relate? So this week my focus is on reading and shaking off this "blah" feeling I get from spending too much time in front of the television.

Doing: Right now I'm in a major simplifying mode. I was talking to Hank about this the other night (and then totally related to Liz's post on the topic) but the older I get the more I just want less. And when speaking about my wardrobe, I want better things, but less of them. Timeless, classic pieces. So I have been working on paring down my closet to the things that make me happiest. I'm still not to my normal size yet so some of the items I need (hello, new jeans!) aren't happening quite yet, but I've been sorting through what I do have, giving away or selling things that no longer suit me, and making a list of things I would like to own. I'm not sure if it's a fall thing, a grower older thing, or what, but it feels good and I'm excited to eventually get to a point where I don't have a closet full of things I rarely wear.

Feeling thankful: for my sister. Growing up we were always close, but since we both became Moms we've become even closer. We went from talking every couple of weeks to talking every single day, many times a day, and it's the best thing ever. Nothing beats having a sibling who is your best friend- they are the one person who really, really gets you, because they know your whole story. They're the ones who know where you come from and most of all, unconditionally love you all the same. There's a quote I just love by Clara Ortega: "To the outside world we all grow old. But not to brothers and sisters. We know each other as we always were. We know each others' hearts. We share private family jokes. We remember family feuds and secrets, family griefs and joys. We live outside the touch of time." Perfect, right?

Watching: So I'm totally going to go against my "read more, watch less" blurb up there and tell you what I have been watching that's pulled me away from reading! This season's X Factor is so good- I even have Hank watching it which is unheard of. And don't tell him I told you, but he's enjoying it too! I love so many of the singers, but right now my favorite is probably Lily McCloud- she's amazing. Do you watch it? Then of course Parenthood is fantastic. I don't think there's been an episode where I haven't cried. 

Working on: So the other night I ordered stuff to get started with Project Life. It's funny because I vaguely remember seeing it mentioned on other blogs, but I would always kind of skim past because I am NO scrapbooker. The other night though I was organizing my hard drive and realized that if I didn't get started on baby books and making photo albums I never would. So I searched a bit on Amazon and ended up getting these kits for the boys, binders, and a few other Project Life supplies. Even when I ordered I had NO idea what a huge world Project Life really is. I got sucked into a Google/Pinterest/blog rabbit hole the other night and felt totally overwhelmed, but my dear friend Amy pointed me in the direction of a few inspiring PL blogs and site and I'm starting to figure out how I want to tackle it. I'm super excited. Right now I'll just be focusing on the boys' books (the kit I linked above really makes it easy), but maybe when I'm done I will begin to actually Project Life week by week. We'll see. Do you do it? If so, leave a link in the comments so I can check yours out.

Loving: watching Henry and Charlie's relationship grow more everyday, apples and almond butter, planning our holiday decor, reading back in my paper journals, new friends, Disneyland dreaming, getting to have a date night with Hank the other night, when afternoon naps coincide with one another (magic!), and the Nekter juices we've been guzzling. 

So, how about you? What are you up to today? Feel free to do your own "currently" post on your blog and link back in the comments for everyone to check out. And thanks again to my dear friend Megan for providing the original inspiration for these posts.

34 comments:

  1. I'm with you on wanting better things, but less "stuff." Am definitely going to check out the Ephron book. I haven't read anything by her but have heard good things.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My really good friend Michelle does Project Life and LOVES it. She blogs a lot of it at Table for Five (her blog). She has three boys, and is pretty rad, so maybe she can give you some good inspiration for yours too!

    I'd love to see the list of items you are shopping for as you pare down/upgrade. Another post?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been thinking I need to read more and watch less too! Netflix instant download can be so addictive but offers pretty dumb stuff, half the time I stop and think, "why am I even watching this?" Thank you for sharing, I love this format, it's making me stop and think about my life more intentional.
    Jill (Millee-Margaret.blogspot.com)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the layout of this post and I definitely think I'll be using it, too! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Loved your post!! I decided to do one myself! ( http://kellyinlosangeles.blogspot.com/ )

    ReplyDelete
  6. I spent the weekend organizing my closet and dresser! I find I usually do it twice a year and those two times happen to be spring and fall. I like the purge and the admission to myself that there are some things I know I won't ever wear again and that's okay.

    The Rambling Fangirl

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm in the same place post-pregnancy: not quite ready to buy new clothes, but so ready to clear out the old. Right now my closet is bare, and it feels good to have a clean slate!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely post. feeling thankful for friends near and far...and the rain that clears the air here in the sandpit.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I keep meaning to get through and get rid of some clothes, and put aside the warm weather ones. Soon, I hope. I haven't done a Currently post in ages but I love the opportunity for a brain dump - thanks for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I need to start reading something soon. Might check one of those out.

    Here's my currently post: http://designedbydiana.blogspot.com/2013/11/currently.html

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the pic, you´re as pretty as can be! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. oh, I know what you mean! I always feel best when I'm tearing through books and finishing one after another :) I'm on a roll at the moment and since I know you like these kinds of books (John Green, Lauren Oliver..), I have a recommendation: Every day by David Levithan. it is such a great book.. I seriously couldn't put it down and had to stay up til 4am to finish it! love these moments :)
    (and now I gotta order some more books by David Levithan, haha.)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've been the same way! There has been a complete difference from want and need in my life. I want a simple life. I don't need excess. Quality over quantity!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What blogs did Amy direct you to? I would love to know! I am just starting PL as well and am totally overwhelmed!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Finally did one of these.
    http://rachelmramirez.blogspot.com/2013/11/currently.html
    And I am definitely for the "stuff" purging. I moved across the country and got rid of a lot of stuff due to that but I fear that I'm slowly replenishing.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Less really is more! We really embrace that philosophy around the holidays and do our best to donate + give + simplify.

    Here's my recent "Currently" post
    http://mommaruthsays.blogspot.com/2013/10/currently.html

    ReplyDelete
  17. Have you read The History of Love by Nicole Krauss? She's married to Jonathan Safran Foer. I absolutely loved it and think you would like it too!

    ReplyDelete
  18. always love your currently posts, my friend.

    1. yes, i totally understand the unbalance between reading and tv - i have been feeling that a lot lately but i think i'm about to beat it with having finished a book last week and about to finish another one today. it feels really good. ;)

    2. loving Xfactor. the cute couple is my favorite!

    3. and YES, i don't have kids yet - but i really want to start scarpbooking pictures of mine and Ryan's first year of marriage. i want to get into a routine 'cause as soon as the kids come, i know it'll only get harder (not that it'll be anytime soon, but you know what i mean). i will look into PL - i have heard of it but am a little overwhelmed by it. can't wait to see your pages!

    ReplyDelete
  19. You've inspired me to do a "currently" post on my blog!
    www.lifeat111.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. I do Project Life. I love that it can be as simple as printing photos and writing on cards then sliding it all in a page protector. I don't share it on my regularly but the few posts I do have can be found here (http://ygfasings.blogspot.com/search/label/Project%20Life).

    ReplyDelete
  21. I am so intrigued by Project Life! I started using Blurb.com for family "yearbooks" in 2008 and have never really looked back. Now I feel like I'd rather just keep using the same medium but I do think the project life books are really awesome and secretly sort of wish I'd done those instead! =]

    ReplyDelete
  22. I have a growing stack of books, too. Recently I started my first big girl-grown up job and I have done nothing but work then sleep because I am so, so sleepy. I think I need to take a weekend to just read.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I have always loved these posts, Danielle. I had been feeling the same way with reading until my friend Megan put a book called "Unorthodox: The Scandalous Rejection of my Hasidic Roots" by Deborah Feldman. I couldn't put it down and it made me feel so many feels. (It also makes me look at the women in South Williamsburg so differently now.) Sometimes it just takes that one book to reignite your reading fire, yeah? Have you read this book? I feel like you would love it.

    Oh and, word, about Parenthood. That show gets me every time.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I can totally relate to watching too much TV and not reading enough. How does this happen?! I've just been feeling so lazy after baby goes to bed..I'm afraid reading will put me to sleep at 730! Also, I want to take everything I own to Goodwill. My years of garage sale/thrift store hunting are catching up to me and, while I have some really awesome pieces, a lot of our things are starting to feel like 'filler stuff'. Same for my wardrobe..clearance items aren't always the most flattering..ha! Thanks for sharing, I think these are fun posts :) xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  25. I can totally relate. As I get older I find that less is definitely more. I want less clutter, less mess, and just less. Better clothes that can be paired and interchanged together sounds like a much better option!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Oh man, I clicked on the Project Life link but quickly closed it. I don't want to start something like that!

    Here's my currently post: http://followk.blogspot.ca/2013/11/currently.html

    ReplyDelete
  27. Thanks for the inspiration, Danielle. It really got me thinking.

    Here's my "currently" post: Sincerely, Dani Rose-- Currently.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I defintely feel you about the books and clothing. I tend to get bored SO quickly that I end up with a lot of half finished books, and I end up in a cycle of reading. It takes me a while to get back around.... And with my weight loss, I'm finding my closet is getting very scarce...

    I've been wanting to start PL, but I haven't had the funds. I would love to see what you do with it! I've seen a few examples and it looks great.

    Christen
    http://christenlouise.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  29. Good luck on the reading front! I seem to go through phases where I read for hours each day, and then I can't bring myself to crack open a book for a week. Project Life seems so awesome, but I worry I wouldn't have the time to devote to it. Can't wait to see how yours turn out!

    I did a "currently" post recently as well:
    The Phillipses: Currently

    ReplyDelete
  30. What a great post! it must be so fun and sweet to watch the boys interact :) I hope that you have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  31. I really want to try Project Life. It looks so much easier than regular scrapbooking. I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Great Post! I like red bag,am also buy that type of bag.

    ReplyDelete
  33. I realize this post is not current, but I'm just catching up in my blog to-reads :)

    You can find my Project Life posts here: http://lemonandraspberry.com/tag/project-life/
    SUPER simple, not embellishment "scrapbooking". Does it count as scrapbooking if I barely use any supplies? :)

    Good luck! PL is great :)

    ReplyDelete
  34. you are such a talented writer & an inspiring blogger - i stumbled across your blog years ago - (pre babies) & have came across it again (you have two now- how exciting!) it's still as wonderful as ever, & i just wanted to say you inspired me to do my own 'currently' post. you're fabulous. xoxo

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips