Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Henry's 3rd Birthday Party

A few months ago I was looking through photos my Mom had set aside for me and I came across some from my 4th birthday. It was a party my parents had thrown for me in our backyard- homemade strawberry cake (my request every year), all of my friends running around in the grass, and random food and snacks piled on a card table, the adults gathered around laughing and talking. In the photos I could just feel the love. And I thought a lot about the parties I've had for Henry so far- kind of elaborate undertakings where I found myself focusing more on the cake toppers than on the actual occasion we were celebrating. And I thought about how now, at 31, I don't remember a thing about the decorations or the fancy touches, or the expensive favors my Mom did or didn't have every year- I only remember all the love that surrounded me.

And that's not to say there's not a time and place in my life for fancy, over-the-top kids' parties. In fact for Charlie's first I may go all out like I did for Henry. But now as Henry is getting older, I find myself gravitating towards more of a simple way of doing things. So this year we did a simple celebration for our big, almost-three year old. I rented out the local gymnastics gym, invited some of Henry's friends and all of our family and we celebrated for a couple of hours, everyone running around and playing like kids. The night before Henry helped me make Funfetti cupcakes, and together we put together goodies bags that included a Clif bar, a fruit leather, stickers and a Hot Wheels car- his favorite things! It was so, so nice to be able to just sit back and enjoy, and then of course, go home afterward with nothing to clean or put away. Heaven!

Henry turns 3 this upcoming Friday, and I'm excited to celebrate one more time....although I know that night I will probably cry a bit too. Birthdays are a little difficult for me. As much as I get excited about all the good on the horizon, it's still sad that my babies aren't always going to be babies, you know? Anyway, here are a handful of photos from our fun Saturday! It was a really wonderful day.


18 comments:

  1. That looks like so much fun! Hope Henry had a great birthday - Your little family is too cute.
    { Raspy Wit }

    ReplyDelete
  2. The look on his face on the second to last shot says it all! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. How fun! ^^ I know that happy face infront of those cupcakes is adorable!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It makes me so happy too- glad my sister was able to capture it in a photo!

      xoxo

      Delete
  4. he has pure joy written across his face! what a fun time to remember.

    ReplyDelete
  5. my youngest son turned three on saturday and we totally did it low key with him as well. but that's also his personality. my oldest loves to be over the top, and the young one is a homebody. i think everyone had a much better time with a laid back party this year.

    happy early birthday to henry! i remember reading your blog back when we were pregnant at the same time. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it crazy how fast it all goes? Now excuse me while I go stare at sleeping Henry and remember when he was just a baby! </3

      Delete
  6. i got SO sad at wesleys first birthday, that was huge, def no more baby there :( i'm sure i'll be the same for the rest of them!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely photos! Looks like so much fun. I LOVED those trampolines all connected together as a child (to be honest I still do). Kids birthday parties are so great, I remember my mum making my dinosaur shaped cakes with starburst inside. Amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So much fun! As a kid, I loved trampolines and running under the parachute. Happy Birthday, Henry!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gah tiny Fred Perrys are the cutest things ever!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think it's refreshing to see a kids party like this! My daughter is in preschool now so she goes to a *lot* of parties and the gymnastics parties are always her favorite. I mean, it's for them right? And man, I'd love to jump in that foam pit too :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hahaha, I think my favorite picture is the one with all of the adults playing with the parachute.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy 3rd birthday Henry!! We had so much fun jumping and running around. It was so neat seeing how happy Henry was the whole time. Great job mama!

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips