Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Right Now.

Charlie and Mama

Our right now is a beautiful thing- it's all new, everyday, with an almost 3-month old and an almost 3-year old and life moving faster than ever. It's the beginning of November now, and we're just starting to see our breath in the cold morning air when we venture outside, me holding Charlie, Henry in his pajamas, to wave goodbye to Daddy as he leaves for work. Our right now is the time of diaper changes and nursing what feels like every minute and an almost always-loud first born and a mama that always seems to say "just a little quieter, please" during naptime. There are baby hands. Oh, those baby hands. The dimples in the knuckles, the first hint of rolls around the wrist. That sweet, sweet newborn smell and the softest hair right at the nape of Charlie's neck. It's me, 31 years old, starting to feel old sometimes, laughing with Hank over the laugh lines we are beginning to see. Our right now is feeling more in love with this man I've been with for a decade now- the person who has seen me at my very worst, but somehow, someway, still loves me. It's me laying in bed at night, staring up at the ceiling, Charlie in the middle, and I think about life before, and life now, and try to imagine what life will be like. I think about being a little girl, and dreaming of what would be, and I think about being in that. And it's weird and cool and happy and sad, all at once. Right now is full of waking up in the middle of the night to that sweet baby who needs me and only me, and I feel like the luckiest person in the world that I am that person, to that baby. It's this unit of four. Our unit of four. It's our family, and the knowledge that we are building something, together. Right now is a time of change for us. Painting walls white and paring down the "too much." Simplifying. Our right now is full of so much life, with these two little people, that it's hard to remember what it was like before. And so I type this quickly while two baby monitors hum on, words coming into my head to my fingers and onto the screen, and no matter how hard I try to capture it all, it will never be enough. Words will never be able to describe the way it feels to see your husband belly-laughing with your oldest son on the floor over a silly joke they just made up, laughing so hard they're both crying. Words can't begin to capture the way Charlie smells fresh out of the bath, towel wrapped around his tiny body, that smile and that laugh and those sighs. Nothing I could ever write here will be able to bring me back to this right now, a time of babies and our first home and figuring this life out as we stumble and get back up, and stumble again. The other day while driving, Henry was in the back singing a song so loudly while Charlie looked out the window at the shapes and shadows rushing by. Hank's hands were on the wheel, tapping in time to music we had faded to the front, and I sat there in awe for a moment, thinking about how out of all the right nows I've ever had in my life, I think this one, right now, would have to be the sweetest.

20 comments:

  1. what an uplifting post. especially with so much technology now it feels like it can be hard to be in the 'right now.'

    i kind of like growing older, because i feel like people finally take my seriously. i looked 18 until i was about 25 years old. you can ask me again at 40 and see if i've changed my mind yet. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved this Dani. Makes me wish we could sit and chat about motherhood and compare dimpley babes;) x

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful post--so many reminders to slow down and enjoy! Last week, my husband said, "I'm really loving the little lines I'm starting to see around your eyes when your smile." Just in the last year has the idea of growing older started to sound exciting rather than dreadful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this. Can feel your gratitude and love through your words. Sounds pretty dreamy :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just love you and your sweet family. I hope one day I can hug you all.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wish I took more time to slow things down and enjoy my time with my 16 month old as a newborn, but I'm glad I realize that now, so next time I realize how fast time will go! Those laugh-until-you-cry moments are coming more and more often now, though and they're my absolute favorite!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This "Words will never be able to describe the way it feels to see your husband belly-laughing with your oldest son on the floor over a silly joke they just made up, laughing so hard they're both crying. Words can't begin to capture the way..." Is how I feel about my right now and my 5 year old and new 8 week old boys. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely words Dani... sit back and soak them all in.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So full of beauty and truth and gratitude. Words won't ever be enough, but aren't you glad you have them?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the way you stop to take life in, lady. Reminds me to do the same!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is beautiful. Exactly how I wanted to start my day. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Such a lovely little one. The moments pass by all too fast, so it's great to see you enjoying each precious second. They are all so unique...

    ReplyDelete
  13. another lovely post, how i love your blog!!!
    love, josie xo
    p.s. i have my own blog too, but it's in dutch so i'm guessing you won't understand ;-)
    www.josieslittlethings.be

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow I could really 'feel' your emotion behind this post. So beautifully written and a wonderful blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Very sweet post! I have a three-month-old and an almost-three-year old (plus a four-year-old), so I can really relate to so much of this.

    www.animpulsetosoar.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a lovely, inspiring post! I may not have a husband or kids, but thank you for reminding me to treasure my "right now": my boyfriend surprising me with dinner after a long day, snuggling with my cat before bed, or just a sunny walk on my way home from work. Each day is full of beautiful moments, we just need to be reminded of that every once in a while. :)

    http://sierrabritton.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  17. Such a nice post Danielle!!!
    I love that you are able to recognize what's making you happy right now as opposed to what made you happy before or what will make you happier in the future. I feel it's so important to focus on the right now even though it's super difficult most of the time. Thanks for this post as it will be a nice project for me :)

    Jessica
    www.littlemapleleaf.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. So beautiful...thank you for reminding me to document our right nows. The best we've ever had!

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips