Tuesday, December 31, 2013

2014: Simplify/Travel/Cook

anyone know this image's source?

If you've been reading my blog for awhile you know how much I love making little goals. My pal Elsie summed it up perfectly in her resolutions post: "I love making goals and I can honestly say having big goals is one of my personal keys to productivity, success and happiness." I am that same way, and I find myself making goals on the regular- monthly, weekly, and through all of the little lists I find myself making- daily. So of course New Year's is one of my most favorite times of the year.

There are so many things I could work on or work towards but I somehow managed to pare it down to three:

1. Simplify. I've already started to do this, but I want to simplify every area of our life. My closet, my online life, our home, even the way I handle things. This is something I've been working on for the past few months and it's wonderful. Focusing on less things and more experiences; quality over quantity.

2. And that leads me to number two and focusing on experiences and traveling. This year we'd really love to spread our wings a bit and visit some new places. And now...to figure out where we want to go.

3. Food. So here's the deal with food and me. I love to cook and I love to eat, but most of the time I find myself eating the same things over and over, and cooking the same things for my family, over and over. I'm bored, and I'm sure Hank and Henry are bored too, even though I know neither would admit it. I feel lazy when I half-ass meal planning and cooking and I hate feeling that way, so instead of being annoyed at myself I'm going to really focus on this area. I ordered a few cookbooks and I'm truly looking forward to trying some new things. And of course I'll be sure to share here.

It's neat to look back over the past year and take stock of growth, and evaluate what worked and what didn't work. 2013 was definitely a year of change and evolution. It was also a year full of a lot of sadness as I lost both my Grandma and a handful of friends (including our dear Andrew) in the same week. When things like that happen, it's a powerful reminder of our own mortality, and if I took anything from those experiences it's the very cliché but very true "life is so short." And it really, really is. In the same year I lost my beloved Nanny, Charlie was born. One of the saddest things right alongside one of the happiest. Death and life all happening at once. It's been a wild, wild ride and although I thought 2012 was a transformative one for me, I'd have to say that this past year topped it by far. It feels good to look back and feel like I really made some strides.

Most of all though, 2013 made me a mom of two with the birth of our sweet Charlie boy, and for that, I will always hold it dear.

So incredibly excited for this new year, and for the all the possibility it holds.

Are you setting any goals, intentions or resolutions for the year? Share below or link me to your post. I'd love to see.

Happy New Year's Eve!

26 comments:

  1. Not an impossible list - meaning you're down-to-earth. Hope your resolutions end up well. I think they will.

    Happy New Year to you!

    Beauty Fashion Skin Care Blog -Girlie Blog Seattle | Casual Chic Style

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thanks girl! Happy New Year to you as well! :)

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thank you Darianne! Happy New Year! <3

      Delete
  3. I so relate to your goals... I haven't thought of mine, but I'm sure our lists would be quite similar.

    Sarah
    sarrrahgirl

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great minds think alike for sure! ;)

      xo

      Delete
  4. I sure do love making new goals for the new year! Happy 2014 to you and yours!
    http://stefanieshouldbearealityshow.blogspot.com/2013/12/hello-2014.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wishing you the happiest of new years! Best of luck with your goals. You got this!

    ND, I love you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Sam! I hope you have a wonderful 2014 <3

      Delete
  6. Happy New Year! Wishing you all the best and every success ^_^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Kate! Lots of love! :)

      Delete
  7. Great goals! I also wish to simplify certain aspects of my life and branch out with cooking. I feel like we eat the same thing over and over again regardless of how many recipe I pin!

    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh gosh me too...I have so many great idea pinned but rarely do them! Hopefully this year I'm more successful. Happy New Year, friend!

      <3

      Delete
  8. Traveling is on my list for 2014 as well! Life is going by so fast and I don't want to look back in 10-15 years and ask why I never took the chance to travel when I had the time to.

    And I'm so sorry about your loved ones. <3 I lost my grandmother just a couple weeks ago so my heart goes out to you, your family, and friends.

    I wish you and your family a very happy and healthy 2014! <3

    Sara - andalittlechaos.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES! I'm so with you on the traveling thing- Hank and I got to travel a bit before kids but we have so many places still on our list to check out! Here's to a year of jet-setting!

      <3

      Delete
  9. I just posted my 5 main goals for 2014 at my blog (aileenbarker.com) and I'm so excited. I love fresh starts, I love planning, I just love it all. I'm a Monday person because I feel like I have the whole week so when a new year starts? It's the most exciting thing for me. Lots of planning to come during the next few weeks :) I'm loving all of your goals -- they are very similar to my own. I've been simplifying over the last year or two and I'm still working on it, but it's amazing letting going of things so you can make room and time for life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right there with you- fresh starts are the best. And of course we're on the same page about Mondays too. NY is just like a Monday...but x 100000.

      I hope you have the most wonderful start to your year!

      <3

      Delete
  10. This is a great list, and honestly very similar to mine! My entire list of resolutions basically focuses on simplifying my life. I wrote about it here: http://www.edensjunkdrawer.com/2013/12/a-simple-year.html

    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks lady! Can't wait to check yours out too :)

      xo
      Dani

      Delete
  11. I do love that New Year kind of forces the non-goal setters (like me) to set some goals. Your goals sound really achievable too and your mention of weekly & monthly goals makes me think that maybe, just maybe I should have a go at setting those this year too! I wrote a post on my New Years resolutions here http://girlinthepjs.blogspot.com.au/2014/01/resolutions-for-2014.html

    ReplyDelete
  12. 2013 was such a year of loss for so many people. We lost my aunt, who was only 43 and a mother of 4 kids, to cancer in October. It took her from us within less than 4 months of knowing the cancer was on her brain. It has completely changed our family. But there was so many beautiful things in that pain and I can't help but try to be thankful for every moment I get because you never know how much longer you have. Wish you all the best in 2014, Danielle!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I also made a post with my words for 2014 if you are interested in reading it! http://lovelyladykatieann.blogspot.com/2014/01/my-words-for-2014.html

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips