Wednesday, December 4, 2013

A Good Handful of Years


Tonight I realized there's only a good handful of years that will ever be like this. The magic. The newness of it all. And it's like that with anything in life, you know? Relationships are only sparkly and new when they're sparkly and new. And the first time you read the best book of your life will only be that first time you read it. And Christmas as a child only lasts as long as you're a child, and before the world kind of creeps in and changes things up a bit. So this right now, the whole wide-eyed, magical experience of Christmas, will only be here for a short time. I know this. I thought about it as I watched Henry sort through our ornaments tonight, marveling over the shiny ones, the sparkly ones, the ones shaped like stars and sleds and snowflakes. He believes Santa will be coming down our chimney with a sack full of gifts. He believes we will be seeing him on the Polar Express this weekend, and going to the North Pole. He knows with every ounce of his little three-year old body that this is true, and that Christmas is a time for MAGIC. And to see him believe and see him feel all of the happy feelings that bubble up in every moment during this time of the year is enough to make me cry just typing it out. I feel SO lucky. And in a blog post it can be hard to convey these types of things but I just have to say it because that's all I can think about. I feel so lucky to have this little block of time when everything is new and fresh and sparkly, and Santa is real and his reindeer are real because I'm reliving it all over again too. I'm a child again, stars in my eyes as I hang ornaments and bake cookies and allow a little part of my heart to believe in the beauty and simplicity of everything this season brings. The spirit of Christmas is alive and well in this house, and for that I am so, so thankful.



20 comments:

  1. This is so sweet, and so very true! I love how deep kids believe in the spirit of Christmas. How everything deserves an oooo and an aaaa! My 2 and 3 year old are the same way, they just breathe so much life into the holidays.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a sweet post and something so important to remember. I don't have children, but seeing my tiny students get excited about this time of year (year after year) always makes me really happy. Kids love the holidays for all of the right reasons and it's really special to see. Thank you for sharing these magical moments with us.

    The Rambling Fangirl

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm having a hard time with Christmas this year. I wrote about it yesterday and it made me feel even worse to put it in words. Christmas seems to be bringing me more stress than years past. But I really love your perspective, and I'm desperately trying to keep it in mind when those negative thoughts creep in. I hope you are having the loveliest and most magical of holidays.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely post. I'm excited to have my first Christmas with my partner this year and I fully intend to immerse myself in the magic of it all. It's so important to savour every minute of these wonderful moments ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautifully written, gave me shivers! Nothing beats seeing Christmas through your own young child's eyes x

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are the sweetest photos! You've got to love this most magical time of year!

    ReplyDelete
  7. my husband and i talk about this all the time. and now that our oldest is in first grade, he comes home telling me so and so told him there was no santa. and whenever he stops believing, i know my three year old will be right behind him. and that hurts thinking about.

    have you ever made henry a video at portablenorthpole.com? you can make a free personalized video from santa. you get to add your own pictures, and santa even says your child's name. it's really awesome, and it always makes me cry. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh man this made me cry. Time goes by way too fast. Thank you for the sweet post.

    ReplyDelete
  9. dani, this is seriously the sweetest and so very true. it's so hard to come to grasp sometimes that they won't be like this forever :( you're a great mama and i admire you very much! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  10. We were just discussing this last night, our 3 year old is all over anything Christmas and we have a 1 week old baby. It just seems like our hearts want to burst right now thinking how lucky we are to have these two amazing kids and the joy we have yet to come with them. All the best to you and your beautiful family.

    ReplyDelete
  11. these pictures are so adorable. makes me so excited for when our little one will actually be here next christmas, and we can start making christmas traditions!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is such a beautiful post. You coveyed the magic really well and i love the pictures. It is so nice people being happy, enjoying life and being grateful for the happiness they have.
    I work with 30 five year old kids and i am very lucky to be able to see life through their innocent eyes. That is magic too.
    Enjoy it!

    Red

    ReplyDelete
  13. I totally envy people with kids during the holidays. My husband and I don't have kids, my sister and husband don't either so at holiday get togethers it's a little less fun and magical than it was when we were kids and a little more adult and boring if you ask me!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is so well written! Enjoy the holiday season with your family! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love this! I always love seeing the holidays through the eyes of a child. And I love your photos. :D

    ReplyDelete
  16. Dani! I've been reading your blog for about a year now. I love every post you make. I especially love your blog because you really are such a good writer. It is so cool to hear you talking about your life now and how much you love it, and also how you wrote to yourself at 16 asking if you would have thought things would turn out like this. It makes me excited for the future, since I'm 19. I can't wait to have a cute family like yours (seriously, y'all are so precious) and I know I will be just as thankful as you are now. Have a good weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is perfect for every mama out there :) a perfect little reminder to make these memories and to cherish these moments with your child through their little excited eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  18. where did you find that sock monkey ornament? that's SOOO cute!! here in croatia we decorate the tree on xmas eve so your custom looks sooo early to me:) i mean xmas is still a few weeks away:) very lovely photos!

    ReplyDelete
  19. this is so unbelievably lovely, aw I wish Christmas was still this magical for my family but we're all too grown-up now so *cries :)

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips