Monday, December 30, 2013

Christmas 2013

The best part of every part of my life is family. And since becoming parents, the best part of every holiday are the children. In our family we now have three little ones between my little family and my sister's, and really, nothing is better. It was Charlie's first Christmas and it was a good one. We spent Christmas Eve with part of Hank's side, then came home to do our own traditions. Growing up my Dad would read The Night Before Christmas every Christmas Eve to my sister and me, and once Hank became a father he gifted him a new copy with the sweetest inscription. And that's one of the neatest things about being a parent; getting relive your own childhood once again with fresh eyes and the foresight to really take it all in.

Christmas Day was full to the brim with family, good food and presents. Hank and I don't actually exchange gifts with each other outside of doing stockings and instead focus on traveling throughout the year. The boys though, got some really wonderful books, puzzles, and a few new toys. Henry's "big" gift this year was the kid's kitchen from IKEA, and he was really excited. We got my Dad a telescope and my Mom a gift card to her favorite spa, and there were smiles all around...between the little talks we had to have with Henry about why every present isn't for him, and why it's so nice to give presents to other people, too. It's tough being three...

It's hard to convey the feeling I get when I look around a room full of my family, all smiling and happy and healthy, together in one place. I feel peaceful. And so, so lucky. I know things never stay the same, but this year, right there in my living room surrounded by the people I love the very most, I had to stop and whisper a little "thank you" into the air, for all of the goodness. Because even though we were opening presents and getting "things," it still reminded me that the best things in life aren't those things, they are these people. Lucky. Happy. Healthy. Wishing for the same over the next year and beyond.

Happy holidays, from our family to yours!



14 comments:

  1. This is such a nice post. So lovely to see you and your family so happy and grateful for what you have.

    Here is to an amazing new year!

    Red

    ReplyDelete
  2. This made me smile. The least pretentious Christmas post this year. Many of these pictures speak of love.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful post, Danielle! It's so great to see how much love and goodness there is in your life xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a gorgeous post. Amazing photos (I love how small Charlie is next to his stocking!) - it looks like your Christmas was full of love and warmth. Happy New Year x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Little kids in Christmas PJs are the best. This was the first year in a long time we had a tot for Christmas. So much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So wonderful. My niece has the same santa onsies. Merry xmas darling

    ReplyDelete
  7. So wonderful. My niece has the same santa onsies. Merry xmas darling

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks like a beautiful Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your Christmas looks beautiful & goodness me that table set up is amazing! Happy new year! :) x

    ReplyDelete
  10. So cute! Such an adorable posting. I love your family pictures! Merry Christmas & Happy New Year! :)

    Visit our blog :: http://shuconnie.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is totally off topic but, where did you get your leggings?! They look so comfortable and pretty! Also, your photos are great, hope you had a great christmas and new year's eve!

    ReplyDelete
  12. The update is not about money while the acute situation. Place of operation, then what will help your employees or you can very simply to reward instant loans. In addition, if the immediate need cannot become too long to control the money to leave. As regards the procedure for the submission and all of the expression of immediate cash loans takes place through the ropes. This is money directly after assigning automatically move into account.
    http://uk-instantloans.co.uk/
    http://www.textloanss24hr.co.uk/
    http://www.80to1000poundloans.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your family is beautiful! So special that Henry and Charlie get to spend it with their cousin Lucy. Family being together for Christmas is just how it should be. I can't wait for the day when my sister has kids! I am ready to be an auntie.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful pics! Can you tell me where you bought that knit cat from? I love it!

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips