Monday, December 9, 2013

Magic, Magical. The Polar Express and Lots of Snow!


I have to hold back from using the term "magic" or "magical" more often than you would think lately, but I guess that's a good thing, right? It's definitely the kind of thing that happens when Christmas is coming, and you have your whole family in one place, and you drive up north through the mountains to go on a train ride and there's a blizzard and snow and holiday lights are everywhere and...you get the point. Magic. Henry has been in total Christmas heaven the past week or so, between decorating the tree to the Polar Express. Sometimes I wish I could be a kid again, just for a minute, and do all of this once more with the heart and the eyes of a child. There's truly nothing better.

This weekend (this magical weekend!) was chock full of family and festivities. My family came to stay with us and we made our way north to Williams on Saturday evening to board the Polar Express. If you're not familiar with the book (or movie), check it out here. And if you are familiar with the story, you'll probably find it neat to know that the train looks just like the train the book- in and out. We took the 7:30pm ride, and in a nutshell, you board the train, they pass out hot chocolate and cookies, read the book aloud, and sing carols on the way to the "North Pole." Once you arrive (it's all lit up and looks like it could actually be Santa's house), Santa boards the train and gives each child a silver bell. So many things follow the story- the chefs handing out the treats, the "hobos" hanging out in the train station, the conductor coming around the punch the tickets, even the seats inside the train cars. It's an AMAZING experience, and although we went last year and loved it, this year was even more special to see Henry get so incredibly excited. Add in a full-blown blizzard and you have a truly authentic experience.

The rest of the weekend was good too- on Friday I attended the Prescott Center for the Arts Charity Luncheon with some girlfriends, then Sunday we had a big family brunch at the Dinner Bell. In between was a couple good workouts fueled by Britney's new album, a lot of good food, and girl talking with my sister. This past weekend was definitely a good one.

Here are some photos from my handy iPhone:



24 comments:

  1. I did not know this! How cool. I bet Henry had a wonderful time. Oh to have a white Christmas. I am on the train home from work (Sydney, Australia) and it is 85 degrees. Hot and humid.

    ps you can't say magical enough with a ride like that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would LOVE to visit Australia. I bet it's just beautiful...and maybe even a little magical too! ;)

      Delete
  2. It would be really lovely to have a white Christmas...I'm in Britain, so it could happen...We sometimes get snow, just not at Christmas. :( And goodness, it struck me how much Henry is growing - I've followed your blog since you were pregnant with him. Where does time go?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Annie that is SO cool to know you've been reading for so long. It's wild how quickly the time goes...Charlie will already be 4 months old!

      Delete
  3. Yay! I was looking forward to seeing these pictures. Both boys look like they're having a blast. I think it's so sweet that Charlie has no idea what is happening, but he's still happy about it.

    The Rambling Fangirl

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Cristina! And I know, right? I figure he'll at least have the photos to look back on. :)

      Delete
  4. Okay, first of all you look GORGEOUS in that first picture! So, so pretty!
    Second, I'm beyond jealous of this Polar Express experience. I know I said that in your last post about it but I didn't realize it was a big re-creation of the movie/book all the way down to the hobos outside of the train. Sooo cool! Henry is one lucky kid. We do something like that where I live where you take a little plan way up to Northern (more Northern than where I live) Ontario to meet Santa and go to the "North Pole". But I have a feeling it's nothing like this experience. I totally want to do this one day when I have a family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jessica thank you so much! I attribute some of that to the filter I put on it...takes away some flaws! ;) haha.

      It's funny because before we went last year I didn't know it followed so many of the details either. It was a pleasant surprise!

      Delete
  5. these pictures are so festive and fun - and this Polar Express experience looks beyond amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was so fun! You guys should definitely do it one year! :D

      Delete
  6. It would be nic to be able to do this

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my gosh that looks like so much fun! As a book nerd myself, I'd love to experience one of my faves come to life like this, truly magical!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I SO wish more of my favorite stories did things like this! How neat would that be?!

      Delete
  8. That's one sly looking Santa! I'd love to do this, what amazing memories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He definitely was. And to be honest, he wasn't actually all that nice! But maybe that's what happens when you are in a huge suit in a heated train car, trying to make a million kids happy all day! ;)

      Delete
  9. That looks like such an incredible experience! What an awesome way to "get excited" for Christmas! The food looked amazing, too!

    I have a lifestyle, fashion, and beauty blog as well! I blog about anything and everything including recipes and my husband's and my first baby that is on the way! It would mean a lot to me if you checked it out and told me what you think of it!

    Kelcie Talk

    ReplyDelete
  10. I did this as a kid, but I was a bit too old for it. I would have LOVED it when I was younger! I am excited to do things like this with my own little one in a few years!

    ReplyDelete
  11. WOW! I had no idea there was a thing like this. How delightful. I'd love to go (or, heck, to work there). Your Henry seems at just the right age to go too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Where did you get your coat? I love it!

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips