Wednesday, December 18, 2013

The Instagram Trap & An Update

You guys, I've fallen into the Instagram trap.  I think it's a pretty easy trap to fall into, when you're a blogger or writer- maybe some of you can relate? Every single day I post over there, and even though I'm not writing epically long captions or sharing updates, I still feel like I'm getting it all out and writing it all down. But I'm not.

So here's a real update.

Right now life is good. Earlier this week I went through a weird sad few days but then yesterday starting feeling much better. I'm at this place right now where I'm beginning to realize that I was totally wrong about a second child, and how I thought Charlie's newborn and baby stages would go by so slow, because I knew to savor them even more this time around. They are absolutely soaring by and it's equal parts exhilarating and depressing. I cringe to even use the word depressing when talking about my children, but I'm someone who has a hard time letting go of things, and isn't parenting really just an exercise in letting go, a little more everyday? For someone like me that can be hard. I think too much, and I especially think too much about the passage of time, so when I woke up on Monday and realized Charlie babe was already four months old I felt panicked. Only two months until he can try solids? He's already wanting to sit up and is rolling- will he be crawling soon? Without sounding like a cliched version of even myself, I am in true shock that he isn't still a tiny newborn sleeping all day long in my arms.

Henry is three now and three is so sweet, and so challenging. When he's good he's amazing, but when he feels like being difficult it can be challenging. He's the sweetest boy I know, but also the smartest, so when you pair a hot temper with these things it can be an up and down kind of ride. We're both learning though- me, how to be a parent of a three year old, and him, how to be a three year old. Preschool discussions are on the table and I think that is happening soon...which brings me back to the earlier paragraph as I ask HOW did we get here so fast?

Life in the Hampton house right now is all about Christmas. We've got holidays on the brain, and I'm not complaining. I do feel a little frazzled, a little behind in getting things done, but I really feel like this has to do with social media playing the biggest role its ever played and seeing so (!) much (!) holiday stuff shared every second, from the moment December arrived. Or maybe even the moment November arrived.

Some random update-y things: I started doing hot yoga again this week and I don't think I've ever appreciated 90 minutes in a quiet room so much in my life. It kind of zapped my sad feelings right away and I want to go everyday, even though I know just once or twice a week is what will really happen. I've been working on just going with the flow more, especially during the holidays. Going with the flow is not something I specialize in, so I'm really trying to let go and not feel a responsibility to overplan everything. Hmm, what else? I feel annoyed at this post because when I started to write it I felt like I had all of these things to share but now I feel like I just went on and on about things I didn't even intend to write about (who knows what those were anyway). The main thing is that I just feel very lucky lately. Healthy, happy babies and Hank to make me laugh and love harder every day. That's the main point of this update. Lucky. Happy. Healthy. And I hope 2014 is more of the same.

Happy almost-Thursday. I've stayed up far too late (again).



  1. Oh love this post! I can relate to so many things. My baby turned 7 months last week and I feel like it's all a blur. And with a 2 and 3 year old as well I feel like I need so many more hours in the day to capture moments. But I am with you on 3 being challenging, much more then 2 ever was!! But preschool helps, my son is obsessed with his school. Which makes me happy to see him so happy!!

  2. Sounds fabulous and busy- hot yoga hopefully keeps the balance. Here's to more good things! Merry Christmas! X

  3. It's so easy to fall into cliche with motherhood; that desire to just stop the dang clock. I'm with you 100%. I want more hours in the day with them.

  4. How did he grow so fast? Your life sounds busy, but better than boring, aye?
    Lots of love!

  5. I always love these little update posts from you! I had commented on your Instagram that I couldn't believe Henry was 3! It's crazy! Ove to you this holiday season!

  6. I've wondered how you are keeping a 3 year old boy busy/entertained with a baby to care for too...hard stuff! My almost 3 year old started a mothers day out when he was 2 1/2 and it's been so nice to run errands 3 year old free. I'm the last of my friends to have their second ( due with another boy in February) and they've all told me if I can get him in preschool more days then def do my 1st is starting 5 mornings a week for 3 hours and I think it'll be so nice to have those mornings to just me and the baby. I'm feeling a bit guilty for the 5 days, but living in a new city with no family to help I know it's for the best and will hopefully scale him back to 3 mornings once I've settled in with the baby. We also did the Montessori scool and I'm excited about their concepts, he'll be in a classroom of 3-5 year olds which is pretty neat, can't wait to hear what y'all end up doing with Henry.

  7. I've got 2 boys that are 4 and 19 months and I'm right there with ya mama! It really is the hardest, but every once in a while there is a great day sprinkled in and honestly that's what I'm living for at the moment. Those days give me a little more strength to preserver until the next one! The saying "the days are long but the years are short" is so cliche but I think it was probably originally said by a mom of two :) Don't get me wrong, I love having two boys more than anything (and am so thankful that I didn't get girls haha)!

  8. I understand how you feel. Since I started working time runs so fast and life with a toddler can be so demanding. What have helped me the most is me time. I don't get lots of it, sometimes not at all. But even like that everything gets better.

  9. i have felt the exact same way this last week too! our oldest daughter just turned 5, and to me five feels like such a big deal. after 5 they're just... old! our youngest is 15 months now, and although we decided on a vasectomy for my husband after our son, i'm totally regretting it now. i want another one. but you're doing the right thing with soaking it up, trying your best, but also giving yourself some mommy time. you need that to breath. you're a great mom dani, even by just reading your blog. you're real and passionate and true to your heart from what i can tell. i really admire it all <3
    -sweet grace-

  10. I know just how you feel, once my daughter hit 6 we had another baby because I just missed the baby stuff - the giggles and cheeks and baby-ness of it all. Soak it up! Mine is 19 months now and I don't want it to end!

  11. Ah yes the IG trap. I can relate. The tiny infant stage does seem to soar by and I wish sometimes you could just hit the pause button for a good 10 minutes and really stop and look in and soak it all up just a little bit longer.

    Have a Merry Christmas with your sweet family xo


Blogging tips