Tuesday, January 21, 2014

January's Cookbook Update

Untitled

So I'm well into month #1 of my Cookbook of the Month Project and I'm loving it. I've made a few different recipes out of this month's pick- Super Natural Every Day- and more than anything it's inspired me to get out of the little "cook the same thing all the time" bubble I was living in. Plus, I now have a handful of great dinner recipes to add to our rotation.

Here are four favorites:

1 // Pan-Fried Mung Beans with Tempeh and Broccoli

Untitled

2 // Kale Salad with Toasted Coconut and Sesame Oil

Untitled

3 // Parmesan, Garlic, and Broccoli Quinoa Patties.

Untitled

4 // Dilled Green Beans with Seitan and Leeks

Untitled

Out of all of these dishes I'd have to say the Dilled Green Beans with Seitan was my favorite- and Hank and Henry's too! I was also pleasantly surprised by how delicious the leeks were. It was actually my first time cooking them (I always found them to be intimidating for some reason) and I'm happy to have tried something new and feel like I did a good job with it. And even some of the things I don't cook on a regular basis, like seitan, were super easy. That's what I am loving about Heidi Swanson's recipes- there are minimal ingredients and it's all laid out for you, plain and simple. All of the dishes have been great so far, and I'm looking forward to trying the baked oatmeal tomorrow morning.

Are you planning on joining in next month? I'll post next month's cookbook pick before the week is over, and if you do decide to join in on Instagram be sure to use the hashtag #sometimessweeteats and share photos of your shopping, prep, meals, etc. It's so fun connecting with everyone and seeing what they choose to cook, and of course seeing how it turns out. I'm looking forward to watching this project grow more as the months go by, and I can't wait to share February's cookbook in the next couple of days.

Until then, happy cooking!

xoxo


23 comments:

  1. these dishes look devine. i think the dilled dreen beans with seitan and leeks would have been my fave too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was pretty surprised because I'm not always the biggest dill fan, but the flavors went together so, so well. You've gotta try it!

      Delete
  2. Love the look of the kale and coconut; Heidi is always so inspiring with her choice of ingredients.

    This is such a great project, think I'll join you....
    Lottie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. Thanks Julie! They were really great. <3

      Delete
  4. Leeks are so good!! Yum yum yum.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was so surprised how great they were! A new favorite for sure.

      Delete
  5. I tried to make quinoa patties last week (Not the particular recipe you made) and they fell apart in the pan! Any tips?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also had tried to make quinoa patties in the past and they totally fell apart so I anticipated that happening with these, but they stayed together just fine. Maybe look up this recipe and give it a whirl? I would say the egg base definitely helped. So maybe add more egg into yours?

      xoxo

      Delete
  6. Sounds like a fun group activity to partake in. Are you strictly vegetarian/vegan though?

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are going to LOVE the baked oatmeal. So so so yummy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait! It's on the menu for breakfast tomorrow. :)

      Delete
  8. Replies
    1. Thank you! They were truly delicious!

      Delete
  9. I'll have to give that dilled green bean dish a shot! We received a slew of cookbooks as wedding presents about a year and a half ago -- which was so so wonderful! Unfortunately, since we received so many at once I never slowly worked my way through them when forced to buy cookbooks one at a time.

    Can't wait to hear what you make as your next pick! Heh - I'm keeping my fingers crossed it's one already on my shelf! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh gosh you HAVE to! It's amazing. I will post the next book tomorrow. :)

      xoxo

      Delete
  10. Your photography is beautiful btw! I'm dying to phase in some more "fun" dishes into our rotation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. and thank you so much- would you believe these are just iPhone shots?!

      Have a great night, Caroline!

      <3

      Delete
  11. all looks so so so delicious!
    xo, cheyenne

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips