Monday, January 20, 2014

Local Love: Hugo's



I get questions about our little town all of the time. Where should we eat? Where should we go? And for years I've been saying "oh, I'll totally write a post on that" every time I send an extra long email to a reader or friend coming through Prescott. Adie and I even went out a few years ago and took photos for my own "Slice of Prescott" (remember those?) but I decided to end that feature before I ever shared my own. Most recently my friend Diana started a wonderful "Locals Only" feature over on Our City Lights and it finally inspired me to get my butt in gear. So thank you, D.!

My family and I live in a small town called Prescott (read a fun post about it here), located in the mountains of Northern Arizona. Most people are surprised to learn that we get all four seasons, because Arizona is most often thought of as a desert state with insanely hot temperatures. That's not the case though- we are actually surrounded by beautiful forests, experiencing snow in the winter and heat in the summer (but nothing like the 120 degree weather Phoenicians get).

Prescott is a very special, inviting place (our town's slogan is actually "Everybody's Hometown"), and Hank and I feel extremely lucky to call it home. There's definitely a slower pace of life up here, but we love it. Hank's a second generation Prescottonion and I think it's awesome that if we end up staying here for good, Henry and Charlie will go to the same schools Hank attended as a child. Prescott is just a wonderful little community and I thought what better way to highlight it than through a series like this.

So for the first "Local Love" I had to look to one of our favorite spots, a place that is so, so close to my heart: Hugo's!


Hugo's is a tiny Mexican food restaurant located a couple blocks from the town square. Some people may categorize it as a "hole-in-the-wall" kind of establishment, in that it's quite small, and like most hole-in-the-wall spots you happen upon, it's amazing. Hank and his friends have been going there for close to thirteen years now, and it's become a special part of our own family's life as well, as it's played a role in so many things- one of our first dates, where we always take out of town friends and family, a first meal after giving birth to Henry, and the place of many fun lunches and dinners with friends on the back patio.


Hugo's is run by Manuel and Tino, and they make some of the BEST food I've ever tasted, and the very best Mexican food, hands down. It's fresh, healthy and wholesome, and there is truly something for everyone. Their menu is full of all sorts of items, but if I had to choose a favorite, I'd say it's a toss up between their carne asada (I get it soft taco style) or their pinto bean and cheese burrito. Hank usually gets the same thing, which is a green corn tamale (seriously, try it) with beans and potatoes on the side. You honestly can't go wrong with anything they serve, and they are always happy to offer up suggestions too. One big highlight is their que mada, which is one of their homemade salsas, and a must-try, alongside their homemade chips that are provided for free with every meal at their help-yourself salsa bar.


Hugo's is a order and pay at the counter kind of place, and there are six tables inside and many more outside. It's vegan-friendly and very child-friendly as well, which is always a plus. It's a popular spot for both lunch and dinner, and one of our favorite things to do in the summer is enjoy a meal out back, then walk to the square for ice cream.

Hugo's is classic Prescott spot and I can't recommend it enough. And in true small-town fashion, if you do go, be sure to tell them Hank and Danielle sent you!



Local Love is an ongoing series highlighting some of my favorite spots in and around Prescott, Arizona. 

31 comments:

  1. This sounds like a lovely local place! Prescott's slogan is so heartwarming, I absolutely love "Everybody's Hometown". I really miss the Mexican food in USA, here in the UK it's good, but just not quite as amazing!

    Beth // SANS SOUCI

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it great? I love it too. It sounds like you need to make a trip to AZ for some good Mexican food! ;)

      Delete
  2. My boyfriend's grandfather was a Prescott native. Kyle, my boyfriend, talks about it all the time and insists we move to Arizona when the time comes. Seeing these pictures and reading your story makes the thought of moving all the way from big city Atlanta to small town Prescott a little more exciting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michele that is too cool! What a small world. I'm sure if you guys do decide to come back, you'll love it. Have you ever visited?

      Delete
    2. I haven't ever been that far out west, but we are planning a trip hopefully this fall. He's in school and works part-time and I work full time so finding a break in all the madness is the hard part.

      Delete
    3. Oh how fun! Well I hope you do make it out here sometimes soon! <3

      Delete
  3. We also have a local spot called Hugo's, however it's a burger establishment that's been a favorite in our college town for some time. It's also kind of has that hole in the wall feel, but I love places like that. Your Hugo's sounds amazing. It's so colorful and the food sounds fantastic! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I love that! The smaller, hole-in-the-wall type places are always the best! Yay for Hugo's! <3

      Delete
  4. I'm originally from Mesa and we (family and friends) used to always drive to either Prescott or Payson to get away. When I met my husband, we frequented Prescott far more often becaus his grandmother lives in Dewey, so some of our first dates were in Prescott as well. Though I've never been to Hugo's, I will definitely check it out if we ever find ourselves in Prescott again (we moved to Huntington Beach and haven't looked back at AZ, lol) however, my father in law is headed to Dewey for the next month and I will definitely pass along the Hugo's recommendation.

    On a side note, I love Diana's Locals only feature as I'm not only new to Orange County, I'd never even visited prior to moving here, so I find it incredibly useful. I can't wait to see what you feature next, to see if I glimpse any of our old haunts, and to add to the places we need to check out when we visit again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am from Mesa too (moved there in the 8th grade). I love it. And how neat that you've been to Prescott- I hope you get to come back soon!

      Have a wonderful week, April! xo

      Delete
  5. Yum! Local gems are my favorite!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love Hugo's! Can't wait to see what else you'll be featuring :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. this is such a good post! i remember emailing you before i visited prescott last year, asking for recommendations. i'll definitely check out hugo's when i return one day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I hope you do! :) You'll love it!

      Delete
  8. Such great photos!! I am in love with Mexican food and you have convinced me that this is a place I need to visit :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've been jonesin' for a trip up to Prescott... thinkin' I might make some time here in the next month!! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jen let me know- I'll come meet you for some Hugo's! <3

      Delete
  10. Yum! We went there when we visited in 2012 thanks to your guidance. Definitely recommended + vegetarian friendly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So happy you liked it! It's 10:45pm currently and I wish I had some right now! haha.

      Delete
  11. What a fun looking local place!! I'll have to check it out next time I'm in Prescott.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! Please do, and let me know what you think! xoxo

      Delete
  12. i am one of your readers who sent you a what-to-do-in-prescott email. i went to prescott for a weekend alone as a gift from my husband who knew i needed a short mama break. i went to hugos at your suggestion and now i'm crazy about it. we go every time we are in prescott and have sent others there as well. i can't wait to see what else you post here! i hope at some point you will share about the mega thrifting you have in prescott, it is my most favorite arizona city for thrift stores. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah that makes me SO happy! I also wish I could help on the thrifting but I am not a thrifter. However my friend Adie is a master thrifter so maybe she can do a guest post? I will ask her! :)

      xoxo

      Delete
  13. Oooooh yay! I am a HUGE lover of mexican food so I have to try it next time I am in town. I am dying to move to Prescott. It's my dream to live there!

    xoxo,
    Tara O.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love Prescott!! One of my good friends, her parents have a condo up there and I've visited a few times. When I was in high school we always had our youth group winter retreats there in Prescott. Downtown is so cute!!

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips