Tuesday, February 11, 2014

In A Flash

Untitled

So yesterday we went to check out a preschool for Henry. Before we even visited I had a feeling it would be "the one" based on what we've heard from friends and the research I did, and I was so happy to find that it was indeed everything I had hoped. But my goodness, I was not prepared for the emotions I'd be feeling as we sat in the class Henry will soon be a part of and watched them sing and laugh and answer questions. Henry jumped in and found his place in the circle, sitting right down there on the letter "P," singing the ABCs with all of his heart. And at the end he clapped, turned around and smiled at me, making sure I was still there and making sure I saw how wonderfully he had sang the song.

I know next week when he actually goes off to his first day my tears will come, but tonight I'm feeling them too. I've written countless times about how I feel like such a huge part of parenting is letting go a little more everyday. And it really is. There was a part of me that thought the day when Henry would be starting school wouldn't happen for a long time. And I guess three years is a long time, but it doesn't feel that way. Not at all.

But even as I type this I'm filled with so much excitement. It's a small program- 2 teachers for 14 kids, and it's a really special school that focuses on "the whole child." When we took our tour I saw art everywhere, music, a community garden, and in the preschool classroom itself I saw learning mixed into everything they were doing. It's hard, because there's a huge part of me that would love to homeschool my babies all of their life, but what's right for my family and our boys is this. And so off he goes next week, taking those first teeny tiny steps towards growing up. Leaving behind a bit of his baby-hood and stepping into these new bigger-boy shoes. And I guess that means I'll have to step into some new shoes too, as I navigate this next phase of our life, dropping off and picking up and filling time. Like I always tell Henry, we're both learning. And next week he'll be stretching those wings a little bit more all while I'm learning how to let go a little more. We're both growing up in a way, and even though tiny bits of me may be sad about change, I know the best is really yet to come.

16 comments:

  1. Aw, he's gonna love it! Reading this makes me a little teary. My son, Eli, just turned one in December and I feel the exact same way- feels like it's gonna be so long until that day comes for us but I know it'll be here before I know it! Parenthood is crazy and totally about learning and letting go. Best thing ever (although still hard), I can't wait for all of our future firsts. Good luck to Henry next week, and to you! It'll be great!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it crazy how fast it goes? And thank you so much for the luck and well wishes! I'll take it all :)

      Delete
  2. This is such a lovely post ^_^ I don't currently have children but I know my partner and I would love to have a family in the future, and to see your family grow and experience all your new adventures makes me excited to set out on our journey too! Lots of good luck to you and Henry, I hope he has a blast!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kate you are so sweet! Thank you- it is such a fun journey...I'm excited for you guys to one be on it too! <3

      Delete
  3. Henry will have the time of his life. He will make new friends and learn new skills.

    It is interesting, since I have started reading blogs, how big home schooling is in the states. Here in Australia it is very uncommon to home school your children.

    Not sure what the regulations are over there, but here it is very hard to do. Are the schools bad over there?

    You will be fine I know, when he goes. It is a another journey for our little Henry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Stephanie! Thank you for your comment! Homeschooling isn't very big in the town we live in, but I do see a lot of it in the blog world. The schools here (at least in our town) are wonderful. This is a private preschool, but the boys will be going to the public schools afterward. It's so hard to imagine that next step...but I know it will be here before we know it! haha! <3

      Delete
  4. Oh gosh, this picture is the cutest. It sounds like a great school, I'm sure he will really thrive there :)

    Sophie
    http://what-sophie-said.blogspot.co.uk/
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. we're just talking about sending our son to preschool in another year or so and i'm already worried and scared. i like that you phrase that you're both learning. that is exactly right. good luck to both of you!
    http://semiweeklyeats.blogspot.com/2014/02/parenting-ups-downs-and-inbetweens-vi.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jesse, I'm glad you can relate. It's hard to imagine your little one being away from you for such a block of time. I'm excited...and sad. Bittersweet for sure.

      xoxo

      Delete
  6. As someone who has a teeny tiny six week old, this post is a wonderful reminder to hold dear the cuddles and late night feedings, and to remember just how quickly time races on.

    xoxo, Anna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my word...6 weeks! Such a special age. And yes, enjoy it mama, get in all of those cuddles. Love to you guys. xoxo

      Delete
  7. Sounds like a wonderful preschool. The schools in our town are really poor, which was a huge factor in us deciding to homeschool. I wish we had a pre school like that, I'm sure Henry will love it. They grow up so fast - my eldest is almost eleven which just seems crazy!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You and Henry will love the school! Best "type" of school and even better teachers! (If its the school i am thinking of!?)

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips