Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Journal Day (again)


Two years ago I started a project here on Sometimes Sweet called Journal Day and it was probably my most favorite reoccurring feature, ever. Then the other week when I shared part one of "Post Ideas for the Stumped Blogger" I realized how much I miss that whole exchanging of ideas, sharing inspiration, and finding ways to freshen up content. I got to thinking, and I realized that right now was the perfect time to bring back Journal Day.

Here's the gist of it with a couple of updates, from my original post in June of 2011:

I love being a stay-at-home Mom, but there are some days when I really miss being a high school English teacher. And most of all, I miss the creative writing. For six years of my life, every Tuesday and Thursday, we had Journal Day. At the start of the year, each child would get a journal of their choice (typically a black composition notebook), and we'd add at least two pages per week. Upon the students' arrival in class on they would see a prompt on the board. They could always choose to free-write, but typically the kids would choose to at least start with the prompt and then let their writing go wherever they wished.  I had no rules for their journals- they could write about whatever they wanted, and although they did get a grade for completing each day's writing, I never gave them a grade on content. At the end of each journaling session, we'd go around the room and everyone could share anything they wanted- at the least just one word, and at the most, their entire entry. Some kids started by just offering up a word or a phrase- "good day" "sad" "really weird mood" - but as the year went on everyone got more and more comfortable. There were so many days I heard something that then prompted me to talk a child after class. Perhaps the one word they shared sounded a bit off, or maybe they shared a lot, and I knew they needed to talk to someone. I found that it was pretty therapeutic for a lot of the kids. I mean, I know some couldn't care less, but I do know there were more than a few that loved it. And I miss those days, I miss the writing, and the mix CDs the kids would bring it to play during those ten or fifteen minutes. The sound of the pencils on paper, the look of concentration. The feeling when one of my "non-writers" would say, "this isn't so hard after all."

So I got to thinking. And I decided that I'm going to bring back those journal days right here.

And if you'd like to join in, I'd absolutely love it.

Here's how it will work- I'll post a prompt on Sunday evenings (or other days if specified). Then some time in the next week, write about the prompt in your blog, then come back here on Thursday to my prompt response (I will post mine each Thursday morning) and leave a comment with a sentence or two from your entry, along with the link so we can all blog hop and check each others' writing out.  I know I'd be so honored to be able to read what you write, and I know a lot of others would love to, too. I think this will be a fun way to get a writing community going, and I'm so looking forward to getting to know more of you through your words. I'm so excited to continue focusing on what I believe is the most important aspect of blogging- writing.  I think this will be a neat way to infuse some creativity into our daily lives too, and inspire each other to write a lot more! So, here we go.

Stay tuned for next week's prompt, then come back on Thursday to my prompt response post to share your link blurb and link in the comments. And in the meantime, check out previous Journal Days here.

39 comments:

  1. This is such an amazing idea! I was always the kid that loved journals in school, and I was always scribbling madly to finish my thoughts during that last minute. That's probably why i lobe blogging now! You don't have to struggle to get your thoughts down during a time limit.
    I definitely plan on participating in this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally remember doing those journal days in your class. I really loved it and still have the notebook! I'm looking forward to participating in this too:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes! Just what I need to get back into the blogging routine! Thank you :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Would it be possible to share the topic in other locations besides Facebook?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so excited to join in on this! I'm sure this is just what I need to kickstarter writing regularly.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi dani, i'd love to be a part of this beautiful idea! Could you maybe post the prompt on instagram? I just deleted my facebook last week....love, sara

    ReplyDelete
  7. Definitely excited about this! I loved journal days when I was a child and I'm excited to get to know everyone a little better through their writing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great idea. Will definitely be taking part in this. This was also my favourite part of English.

    ReplyDelete
  9. We did journal days during middle school and occassionally during high school. I always loved those ten or fifteen minutes, but then again, I've always loved to write. I remember when this series debuted (right around the time I became a reader here - boy, has the time flown!) and am so excited that you are started it up again! Can't wait for the first week's prompt!

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this idea! I am always looking for post prompts. I will be linking up for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a great idea. I can't wait :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a wonderful idea! I'm very excited to participate!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a fabulous idea! I don't have a blog but I'm going to follow along the old fashioned way with pen and paper!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I remember when you did this a few years ago - I'm glad you brought it back, maybe I'll join in this time :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love this - but I'm not on facebook :( anyway to also post the prompt here?

    ReplyDelete
  16. This sounds like something I would have loved in school. And it sounds like somethign I'm going to love in the blogging world as well.

    ReplyDelete
  17. such a great idea! you sound like an awesome teacher!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm in!!! I used to do this when I was sophomore but now in my senior year, I only write journals about the book that I required to read so I kinda miss this..

    ReplyDelete
  19. Such a great idea. It is hard sometimes when you get that brain fart that never seems to go away. Very great suggestions and ideas. Thank you for sharing from 3girls1apples.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. I think that sounds really fun!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I'd love to participate! I'm trying to get back into making journaling a habit, and having prompts has been something that has always helped me. I'll definitely be getting in on this.

    http://adiasinead.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. I would love to participate!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I am so excited that this is back!!!

    http://mundanecstasy.com/journal-day/

    ReplyDelete
  24. I am in! Absolutely loveee this idea. I will be waiting for Sunday! (:

    JANE FROM THE BLOG

    ReplyDelete
  25. I'm in! What a brilliant way to bring bloggers together. I really look forward to reading other people entries!

    Http://www.specklesthings.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  26. This sounds like a lot of fun! Definitely can't wait to see what you post on Sunday!

    whoalansi.blogspot.ca

    ReplyDelete
  27. This is such a great idea! I look forward to following along and hopefully joining in!

    ReplyDelete
  28. definitely excited for this to start again!!!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Well, I love this. I will definitely be participating.

    -Kelcey
    http://hellokelcey.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  30. Love this idea! We used to do this in sophomore English class!

    ReplyDelete
  31. I'm so excited! Can't wait to start (:

    ReplyDelete
  32. What a wonderful idea! I will be joining up. Which should thrill my 7th grade English Teacher Mr. Pillman. I hated journal day in junior high yet to this day (42 years later) I remember some of my favorite entries and his encouraging words.

    ReplyDelete
  33. This is such a great idea. I always find myself looking for more free time to write. Sometimes you have to sit yourself down and just do it!

    xXo, Lexi | http://www.prettyandfresh.com/

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips