Monday, March 24, 2014

First Food!


Is it just me or did this day come WAY too quickly? This past weekend we made our way into the world of "real food" with Charlie, and although I'm constantly wondering "how did we get here?" this really did seem to just kind of sneak up on us.

I decided to hold off on solids until I felt like Charlie was fully ready, and right around the 7th month mark it seemed like it was time. He'd been grabbing for our food a lot, staring at us whenever we would eat (seriously entranced!), and smacking his lips while watching us. With Henry I had started with rice cereal, then oatmeal, then puréed veggies and fruits, but with Charlie I wanted to take more of a baby led weaning approach, although I didn't want to follow that exclusively. So we started out with mashed up sweet potatoes on his high chair tray and let him go to town. He was curious of course, and put some of it in his mouth, and loved it! After that I decided to purée a bit of it and spoon fed him, and he liked that too. It was so cute when he got his first taste- that little smile and those wide eyes.



The next day wasn't as easy. It was just me feeding him and when I tried to do the puréed sweet potatoes again he continuously pushed the food out with his tongue, and I couldn't get him to "chew" and swallow. I was a little confused because I know that's a sign of not being ready for solids, but the day before he ate like a champ! So I put the food away and figured I would try again at dinner. When Hank got home I ended up running out to the gym so he was in charge of feeding. I warned him that it might not be easy, but he said he was good to go, so I headed off, thinking I would come home to a baby refusing to eat. But to my surprise when I got back Hank told me he had ate everything I set out for him! He told me he mimicked eating while Charlie was, opening his mouth when he wanted him to open his mouth, chewing, etc. and it worked! That was a week ago and since then he's been eating pretty well with the exception of a few instances.

So far we've tried broccoli, apples, and oatmeal. I make the baby food in a small blender and I've mainly been spoon feeding him, but also mashing up some of it and letting him feed himself, which is really more of him playing with the food and maybe accidentally getting it in his mouth! All in all though it's been a successful week and I feel like we're in a good place with solids.


Also, here's our schedule as of right now, in case anyone is interested. I know always love reading about things like this!

6:30am wake up and nurse
7:30am (breakfast)- oatmeal with pureed fruit
8:30ish-10:30ish nurse then nap #1, then wake up and nurse
12pm (lunch) today was the first day I gave Charlie a little bit of regular food at lunchtime too, while I ate. He did a broccoli/apple purée
1:30-3:30/4 nurse then nap #2 
4:30 (dinner) veggies- so far he's only done sweet potatoes at night
6/6:30 nurse then bedtime

A little sleep update too- up until this past week Charlie had been going through a really rough sleeping patch. He was waking up at least 2-3 times a night (sometimes more), and like I mentioned before, I wasn't sure what to do because he had no problem actually going to sleep. All of his waking would occur well after midnight after going down around 6pm, so I wasn't sure what approach to take as far as sleep training. We started the solid food and I think that definitely helped, because that first night he slept through the night. I also let him fuss a little more than usual before going in, and the one time he woke up around 2am I didn't need to go in there- he put himself right back to bed. It's been a week now and he's been sleeping MUCH better. If he wakes up it's around 5am, and I nurse him and he goes back to sleep until 6:30. His naps have been good too, so I'm hoping we're out of the woods for now. Although really, we all know this could change at anytime (probably tonight since I said "sleeping through the night" out loud! haha) but for right now I am soaking up any and all sleep I can!

xoxo

34 comments:

  1. I think that first picture is my new favorite Charlie picture. Such a happy baby! I can't believe he's already eating solids! It seems like just yesterday we were visiting you in the hospital. I'm so happy to hear that both of you are getting more sleep, it makes such a difference doesn't it?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know...it does seem like yesterday! And YESSS on the sleep. Remember when Lucy was waking up a million times? I can't believe you ever existed on so little sleep! Happy both little ones are sleeping well now. Love you!

      Delete
  2. How fun! There are so many things to look forward to about motherhood, but I'm especially looking forward to watching and helping my son explore and develop a relationship with food. He's due in 5 1/2 weeks and while I'm still loving reading about and experiencing pregnancy I love whenever I can come across "real life" posts like this! Obviously every family and baby is different, but as someone who didn't grow up around kids it's nice catching a glimpse of someone's routine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my gosh you're getting so close! How exciting. Sending you a ton of healthy birthing vibes. Thank you for the kind comment :)

      Delete
  3. Cute photos! My younger son grabbed pizza off someone's plate at a birthday party at 9 months! He did not want baby food when all the big kids around him were eating the "good stuff" Enjoy the sweetness

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it neat how different all kids are?! I love that he went right for the pizza! Ha!

      Delete
  4. You have no idea how much your posts help me, we are about to have a new baby in the house for the first time in over 11 years and I swear reading your posts calm my anxieties about everything I worried I'd forgotten or wasn't ready to do yet (yes that was a heck of a run on sentence sorry). Thanks so much for sharing your lil Charlie with us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh gosh Renee thank you for reaching out and leaving such a nice comment. Your words mean so much to me and I'm so happy I can help, even a little. I'm excited for you and your family! :)

      Delete
  5. Aw I'm happy he's sleeping better. His eyes are so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this stage! Finally getting to try new things and see where their foodie personality is headed. My niece LOVED avocados when she started eating solids.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait for him to try them! I hope he loves them as much as I do!

      Delete
  7. Have you purchased one of these feeders? http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=22387936&cp=2255957.2273443.2777251.2768953&parentPage=search
    Boy of my boys had them! It was great for snacks on the go. You simply put any soft foods like potatos, bananas in the mesh bag in chucks, the baby chews on the bag and the fruit or veggies gets strained through the mesh for the baby to eat! On hot days we would up homemade frozen fruit purees, ice cubes (when teething). We loved them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ashley! Yes, we actually used one today with a banana and he loved it. He didn't quite get the full hang of it yet but I'm hoping soon. Thank you for passing the link on to me though, and for thinking of me! Lots of love :)

      Delete
  8. Awww!! What a sweetheart! Solids are so tricky but it seems like you guys are doing great! He has the happiest eyes :) xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much sweet friend! Can't wait to pop over to your blog after I finish replying to comments! :)

      Delete
  9. Awww! Yay can't believe he's already so old. He's just too sweet! Glad it's going well... He definitely seems to be loving solids in these pictures! Our son is almost 16 months and starting to get picky some days. It seems the food battles are just beginning for us. Enjoy it!

    Life is Peaches

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right?! It's crazy to me! And oh, I remember that picky phase! It's so hard. We will be right there with you soon enough ;)

      Delete
  10. We love BLW but sometimes the mess is just too much for me and I spoon feed too. I think a combo plan is great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bryn, I'm the same way! I feel like a balance is good:)

      Delete
  11. Oh, man! My little babe is probably six weeks younger than Charlie (born end of September). We started offering her "real people food" about two weeks ago and she loves it! She gets this irritated expression now if I'm eating something and don't share it with her. She was doing so well with sleeping, too, and this week her naps are terrible and she's up several times at night.

    I think it's all because I'd posted on FB that she was sleeping through the night. The sleep banshees have my name and number, now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love it! Believe it or not Charlie woke up last night too! HA! That's what I get! ;)

      Delete
  12. Haha I love those messy first-food photos! Charlie looks adorable eating from a spoon :)

    Lots of love
    Maria

    ReplyDelete
  13. Replies
    1. Naomi I am so glad! Thank you for always leaving such nice comments! Happy almost Tuesday to you! <3

      Delete
  14. That third picture is the best thing to ever happen. He is so darn happy!

    The Rambling Fangirl

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cristina! He is such a happy little guy :)

      Delete
  15. I could just eat this little fella up.. How cute is his smile.

    First foods are certainly a hit and miss (on both accounts - liking it and getting it into their mouths).


    ReplyDelete
  16. I love your blog! I've been coming here since I had my son 19 months ago:) Have you ever read anything on The Wonder Weeks? It basically lists the order of each developmental spurt your baby has. This is, possibly, a reason why your little one isn't sleeping as well as normal. It's hard for them to sleep when they are learning new things. I would recommend just getting the APP, it's amazing how on target it was and prepared me for upcoming sleepless nights:)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I think it is so fantastic that you waited until 7 months to feed him solids and that you are using baby led weaning tactic, such a great approach! I used this with my daughter as well and I think it really helped her go at her own pace and learn by being tactile with the food. I also held off on the rice cereal hype, in fact I waited until she was a year to give her any complex carbs-until she was more ready to digest them properly. This smile of his is killing me. Congrats mama-such a fun step!

    ReplyDelete
  18. is he sleeping in his room? my daughter started waking up EVERY HOUR after we started solids!! i'm desperate:(( but we started when she was 6 months old....heelp

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips