Thursday, March 20, 2014

Journal Day #5

We all encounter challenges on a daily basis. You may consider yours something small, like having enough time in the day to accomplish everything you set out to do, or it may be a bit bigger- perhaps something you have to overcome mentally or emotionally, or even a struggle when dealing with a difficult person. Whatever the case, take a look at your daily life- what would you say is your biggest challenge? Or if you have a past struggle you were able to overcome, how did you do it? This week, write about a challenge you currently deal with on a day to day basis, or discuss one you managed to get past.

This one was a hard one for me, because I wouldn't say there is any one big stand alone challenge I deal with everyday, but more so smaller ones that kind of vary based on the day at hand. I thought long and hard about this- maybe a little too hard as I'm only just getting my thoughts down now at 9pm, but I came up with two to share.

1. Waking up with a positive attitude each morning. This is one of those things that varies based on the days (and the hormones, you feel me postpartum Mommies?) but I'd say 75% of the time I wake up ready to go- smiling and happy and pumped to make it the best day I can. But on the other mornings I get up and it's hard for me to get into the right mindset. It's very helpful to be surrounded by two smiley, joyful little ones and a husband who really is the most positive person I know, but sometimes it's hard to get out of my own head and make that decision to have a good day. That sounds so funny- to know exactly what I should be choosing, and yet having difficulty making that choice- but that's just how it goes.

2. Finding time to blog or work on other creative things like Project Life. This is a new challenge for me, because when it was just Henry and me at home I had a lot of time. He's a big time napper, and always napped (and still does) for about 3 hours in the afternoon. Before Charlie came along I had those hours to do all blog related things, and it was a nice, big chunk of time to get everything accomplished. Now Henry and Charlie do take their afternoon naps at the same time, but Charlie's is a little shorter as he takes a long morning one too, and during that time I usually have other things to do around the house. So at night or the weekend I try to make time the best I can. If you notice some weeks I'll have posts scheduled to go up everyday at 12am, and other weeks I have just a couple I get out there at random hours. It all depends on what we have going on that week or the weekend prior. I wish I had more time to dedicate to this space, but one big challenge I got past over recent years is cutting myself some slack when I can't do it all. So now I just try to have fun with it, and make it work the best way I can. And Project Life- I need to refocus energy into that. It's something I really enjoy but after everything is done- family stuff first, then things around the house, blogging, random who knows what else, there isn't always time for it. I keep saying, oh, I'll get to it soon. But soon has come and gone and going forward I'd like to spend more time on that.

Both of these aren't big-time challenges, and after reflecting for quite some time about it I feel thankful that at this point in my life I don't have too much to list. This wasn't always the case, and I'm sure it won't always be the case, but right now I'm just grateful.

How about you? Link up below with a blurb from your entry, and a link back to your post. Thank you so much for reading!

Read more about my Journal Day project here.
Read previous Journal Days here.


  1. Love this! So happy to participate!

  2. I can totally relate to both of these! I have so many things that I would like to do (blogging, crochet, other new random hobbies that I suddenly feel like I need to have in my life before I realize that I don't even make time for my current ones). When Milo naps or goes to bed for the night I really try to think about what creative thing I am going to chose to do with that time. I found that I would say, "Oh, I don't have time to do x, y & z" but really for me it's about consciously making time and choosing those things. It's not that I don't have the time, it's that I'm just choosing to do other things with my time. I don't have the time to do EVERYTHING that I want to do but I can do SOMETHING that I want to do. Anyways, that is something I have been giving a lot of thought to lately so it's nice to see I'm not alone in my struggles!

  3. I actually wrote for this one (I've been following along wishing that I would just sit down and write, so I finally did)

    "Funnily enough, I really consider my biggest challenge to be myself. I am constantly getting in my own way."

  4. I can relate to both of these, too. It's hard to be excited about my week days because I work in a law office, and it's not exactly my dream job. I feel bored and unexcited to be there, but it pays the bills right now and allows me to be creative in my free time. It's importan, on those hard days, to make time to do something you really love doing so that that one day of feeling defeated or in a bad mood doesn't turn into a string of bad days!
    Great response to a great prompt!!

    Here is my response, which is about finding the time in me day to be creative and further myself as a graphic designer so that someday I can wake up and be excited about doing something I love to do.

  5. "Right now my biggest struggles are: not stressing over things I can’t control, and keeping myself motivated."

    The second one sounds a little like yours. Love these prompts.

  6. "I would say the biggest personal challenge I face on a daily basis at the moment is probably my inability to let things go that are beyond my control without getting frustrated."

    It's something I think we should all work on if we want to be the best version of ourselves we can probably be. If you're interested, my post is: here

    I love your response, Danielle xx

  7. I really agree with you on waking up with a positive attitude each day. The world makes it difficult but I make it a goal on mine to do so!

    The biggest challenge of my life would have to be that of one to do with my health. It is actually why I started blogging. Here is the link:

    Another wonderful journal question!

  8. I really liked this prompt this week!! Here's my response:

  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

  10. Yeah I can definitely relate to both your points there. Really good prompt. Here's my response:

    "I find that I have had lots of people place unwelcomed expectations on me..."

  11. This was a really good prompt this week, and I can definitely relate to finding time and being positive each morning. I tend to sigh and not want to get up and go to work.

    "I bounced back and forth on whether or not I would share what I have actually struggled with for the majority of my life, or if would choose something that felt more “safe” and less personal. I suppose part of the idea of these prompts is to dig deeper, though, so I’ll go with my gut and talk about the thing that first came to mind, which is the black dog that has been following me around since I was a teen."

  12. I really enjoyed reading your response, thank you! Here's mine:

  13. "My daily life consists of many things like being a wife, going to work, school, studying, observing classrooms, and not to mention, trying to find time throughout my busy schedule for things I’d like to do. Such as spending time with my husband, reading, writing, yoga, going to the gym, and carving out time for my family and friends. I’d be lying if I told you it wasn’t hectic..."

  14. Thanks for sharing! I wrote about a past challenge of mine: adjusting to a new life, in a new place, as a college freshman:

    "I was just uncertain about a lot of things. I feel like I did a good job of putting on a positive face, for the most part, but truthfully, those first couple of months were quite rough. Somehow, it felt different than I always thought it would, though I couldn't exactly pinpoint the reasons why.

    With the support of my parents, I put a plan in action to make things better for myself."

  15. Great post, Dani!

    "I've been given ONE body, and ONE life, and I believe that is a true gift. When I don't fight to be healthy, the only person I'm destroying is myself. If that's not enough of a self-wakeup-call, then I don't know what is, or what will ever be."


  16. I totally understand needing to wake up every day with a positive attitude! I try and keep positive messages as my phone background or desktop to remind me.

    "Don’t worry about playing the tiny violin for me yet, though. I know that I could make more time for myself and for the things that make me happy – but the fact is, I just don’t. Why is that?! How can I have a list of things that make me happy and them completely ignore them on a regular basis? I feel crazy for knowing what brings me joy but continuing to ignore it. I can’t be alone in this. Please say I’m not alone in this."

  17. Mine is about my unfiltered heart. :)

  18. My challenge is waking up early enough in the morning to get in a workout, morning pages, getting ready and breakfast before work.

  19. I've struggled with mood disorders for a long time, and it has really changed who I am as a person and how I treat others.

  20. This comment has been removed by the author.

  21. Mine is similar because it has to do with positivity as well but more along the lines of not letting one bad thing ruin an entire day.

  22. Have the serenity to accept the things I can not change, courage to change what I can and the wisdom to know the difference here is my daily challenge.

  23. Thank you again, Dani!

    "Finding the balance. How to fit everything that I absolutely love without getting to the point where I want to kill myself. Not literal death, figuratively. I could just so easily give up on everything that makes me happy and focus on just being a mom and a housewife. I know that won't make me happy, it would definitely be easier though! How do I fit all my hearts joys in?"

  24. This was a hard one for me...which I suppose is appropriate given that the challenge is maximizing time spent on what I value.

    "Finding time, spreading my wings, remembering that despite recent choices that have led to a more settled, seemingly less adventurous existence, there is still so much of me that embodies the soul of a wandered, the mind of a creator, the heart of a baker (baked goods are love embodied)."

    So I'm late, big whoop. Here we go:

  25. This prompt hit my perpetual struggle...
    Here's a bit: "I suppose, at the core of it, my biggest daily challenge is myself." Read the rest:

    As ever, I appreciate your blog and your prompts! Thanks for writing.

  26. I finally got around to writing this today!


  27. I so relate to both in some ways! Getting into a good mindset can be so tough some days, and making time for creative hobbies while studying is not always something I remember to do (yet it always makes me feel better when I do - you'd think it'd be easy because of that, lol).

    A bit of my post:
    "Some days I don’t win at keeping my thoughts in the positive sphere. That’s okay; it’s unrealistic to expect every day to be easy or pleasant. That’s just not how it works for anyone, not just people who have depression."


Blogging tips