Thursday, March 27, 2014

Journal Day #6

Everyone has different things that keep them going. Sometimes it's the people around us, other times it might be what's waiting for us on the other side of hard work. Whatever it may be, there's usually some sort of motivation to get up every day, get things done, or maybe even go the extra mile. With that said, what would you say is your biggest motivation in life? Has it always been this way? 

 photo by Emily Snitzer

A few years ago this may have been a little bit harder to answer, or at least more difficult to pin down one person or thing that kept me motivated. But now, it's easy: my kids. Sometimes when I go to bed at night I feel like I did the worst job- raised my voice or lost my patience, wasn't fully present...but I know that I can do better, and I know that the next day I have a chance to do better. Henry and Charlie are the reason for everything- and in turn they're my motivation to be better at everything. I want to be a better friend so they can see what a good friend is. I want to be a better wife so they can learn what a good partner is. I want to be a better daughter, sister, neighbor. I want to workout more and eat as healthy as I can, so can be around as long as possible, for them.

And then there are different areas of my life that draws motivation from all sorts of places. In love, it's Hank. He's my daily reminder to love more and to love harder. With my family, it's my parents. They motivate me every single day with their selflessness and example of what it means to be married. And to take a step back and look at all the togetherness they've fostered within our little's pretty amazing. With this blog, it's you- all of the thoughtful comments and emails and messages I receive, when you let me know that something I've written really resonated with you, all of those things remind me why I started a public blog in the first place and motivate me to continue sharing here. With fitness, I'm my biggest motivator. I want to be stronger and healthier, and most of all, just feel good. When I see positive change, or more so feel positive change, it motivates me to continue on a healthy road.

So that's me- how about you? Share an excerpt from your post below, along with a link! xoxo

Read more about my Journal Day project here.
Read previous Journal Days here.


  1. Great post! :) Here's a brief excerpt from mine... as usual I had a bit of a tough time narrowing it down, but I'm happy with what I came up with!

    " We've been working on building this partnership, this life of ours together, for almost a decade now and all I want is to build this little shared piece of existence into something wonderful beyond our wildest dreams. I am driven to work hard and seek out challenges in my job because time and time again in my life, I've seen the positive results of patience and tenacity and I know it will lead to great things for not only myself, but for both of us. I feel like the world is ours for the taking and am lucky to have him by my side for whatever the adventure may bring."

  2. I love how you've written about every aspect of your life and how there are different things that motivate you, I fount that too when I thought about this.

    "This was a tough one to decide on for me, especially because I find that the motivation I feel and what it is can so easily vary from day to day. Some days I wake up and don't feel like there's much at all.Some days my motivation is the people around me, those that inspire me. My friend Mackinlay soldiering on with her head held high every day, even though things are hardly ever easy for her. My mum leaving for work to do a career she loves because she was brave enough to go back to college ten years ago, and still managing to provide for me and my Gran whilst being a single mum."

    Here's the rest of my post, I hope you have a lovely weekend!xo

  3. Very nice prompt, and I love you answer... it makes me want kids right now!! ^^
    In my case, just like you, my loved ones are too what get me going...

    "Most days it is not like I like much help to get going because I am such a restless and enterprising person myself… that quite often what I really need is someone to get me stopping! But is is not like I don’t need help of course, actually I need my loved ones around all the time…Sergi, my parents, my sister and brother, my grandmas, Idoya and all my friends....
    All these people… they are what gets me going, because whenever I feel bummed out I just thing how I have all them well and happy and close and I feel I just have no right to feel sad being so lucky."

    Many thanks for the prompt Danielle, it's the first one I am writing in response and I'll try to keep doing it because I think the journal days are a lovely idea :)

  4. I love your answer! I think most moms can relate to that! : )

    Here is an excerpt from my post:
    "When it comes to motivation, we're all different. Different things motivate different people. My motivation is at different levels day in and day out. Some days I am so motivated that I am just go, go, go, non-stop. And, other days it's hard for me to find motivation to do anything. Being a stay-at-home mom, finding motivation can sometimes be difficult, I'm not going to lie. But, I've learned to find motivation in a ton of different things in my daily life."

    You can read more here:

  5. You said this much better than I did, but like you, my kids are my biggest motivation these days. Thanks for such great prompts!

    "Beyond that, though, my kids are my motivation to do more and be the best I can be. I want to be a good example for them and hopefully inspire them in return one day."

  6. I appreciate how you wrote about every aspect of your life, love, fitness, children...beautiful.

    "The biggest motivation for me now is my daughter. It has not always been that way; before, my motivation varied and at times I really, truly struggled to find it. Usually though, I found motivation on the other side of hard work…the results."

  7. I never thought about how big of an impact having a child would be on every aspect of my life, and how much motivation I would get from having him. He truly makes me want to be better at everything in my life, whether its directly for him or for me so I can be better for him.
    I didn't write a journal this week because I knew so many peoples' responses would be the same as mine (and yours!). Children play such a huge part in their parents' lives, and they will never know our love!



    His head is in the clouds but not just because he's a dreamer, but because his drive has no limits. Every day he's coming up with a new idea, working harder than I've ever seen him, and pushing me to be better.

  9. I wonder why we are all so surprised by how motivating little babies will be in our lives? I feel the same way, as evidenced by what I wrote, but it does make me wonder how I didn't realize a year ago just how motivating a tiny little soul would be.

    "This motivation makes my heart sing. Challenges me to see the world in new ways. To practice kindness. To give more. To take less. To share the joys of a simple day’s adventure with a tiny little man whose heart is so big."

  10. Your boys are so cute!

    "I have always struggled with motivation. I'm struggling right now! Motivation must be a mythical beast, like the unicorn, because I'm not convinced it exists. Okay so that's not entirely true."

  11. "For a very long time, the need to go the extra mile, to improve daily, to see just how far I could go, was always challenged by myself. I like to push myself and see how much I can handle. With that being said, the majority of the time I push too hard which lead to the ultimate giving up of whatever it was I was trying so hard to work for. I was my own worse enemy. Even though I was being negative to myself, my passion for trying to get ahead kept me going, got me out of bed, and even though it wore me out, I was my only motivation. I saw my flaws and I try to change them. I don't allow myself to have "lazy" days and I yell at myself (in my head) that I can do better."

  12. "I grew up with divorced parents who didn’t speak to one another, my mom went through a hard battle with cancer when I was in junior high and we were always aware of financial struggles. Richard grew up with a completely absent father, a chronically ill mother and struggled financially even more than my family. So every day we are both very aware of the future we want to provide for our kids."

  13. I am so delayed in putting my link here. But here is my post from my {very first} journal prompt. Thank you for doing this ;) ~Jenna // A Mama Collective

  14. That photo is adorable! I love how you share so much of your kids on your we really know what you're talking about :) Here's my post this week:

  15. My main motivation to keep me going is probably the thought of how much things have gotten better over the past few years, supportive friends, and coping skills. I've changed a lot in the past few years due to personal struggles, so this is a good prompt to reflect with.

  16. Thanks for the inspiration. I shared lots of different sources of motivation.
    "My future children (if we are so blessed). I want to be healthy and strong so they’ll have somewhere safe to grow. (That feels like a weird thing to think.) It motivates me to eat healthy, exercise and rid my system of medications."

  17. Thanks for the inspiration. I shared a few different sources of motivation.
    "My future children (if we are so blessed). I want to be healthy and strong so they’ll have somewhere safe to grow. (That feels like a weird thing to think.)"

  18. Tanks for all prompts ... are so sweet!!!
    This is mine for this week...sorry for my translation, my english isn't so good and pc translator is even worse.

    "Undoubtedly Junqian gave my life a new meaning, a new perception of the value of things, a new thrust towards the future and its prospects. But I believe strongly that life itself grounds me with the desire he has of himself (he says Jibran not me who are not so poetic!), I think that if I continue to passionately love the life she will make it for me is always worth lived".

  19. Love your prompts as well as your posts!

    "Surrounding yourself with people who see potential in you, and are always encouraging you to keep going, plays a huge role in staying motivated. Even if it's just one or two people, it's important. We as humans often like to play the game of 'I'm independent and don't need anyone.' But really that's simply because we haven't found the right people to surround ourselves with."

  20. Another fun one to think about! Thanks!

    "I think everyone goes through a phase in life where they're a little bit selfish. Every year, I find I'm less so, but my life is still primarily about me. What I want, who I want to be, what I want to do. It's evolved from those angsty teenager days of true selfishness & it will continue to evolve as I add more pieces to my puzzle. One of the more recent additions has been N."

  21. Hey, Danielle!
    You are such a good Mom, good wife, good daughter and even a good writer for all of us. Thank you for being auch an inspiration (: anywayy, it is a little bit too late for posting this but your journal day helps to get back for writing. Have a good day!

  22. Here's a bit on my motivation: "I had no idea that I was so motivated by that thing, and that I had so little control over it, until I was stripped of it."

    Read the rest here:

  23. I don't have kids yet, but I think once I do I will find that they are my main motivation. Right now I can't pinpoint one thing, really.

    Here's part of my post:
    ...the only reason I’m still studying is because I absolutely refuse to give up on my goal of getting a degree. I want to prove to myself that I can do it, so I damn well will...

    The rest:


Blogging tips