Thursday, April 24, 2014

Journal Day #10

Quite simply, what are you good at? All of us have particular strengths- what are yours? This week, talk about these talents, big or small. Ideas: discuss how you use these things in your daily life or job, how you discovered a knack for this or that, perhaps even touch on whether or not you are passionate about the things you're good at.

Charlie and mama

Why is it so hard to list the things we're good at, but so much easier to rattle off areas that might need improvement? Or is that just me? I had to think about this for awhile, and I even asked Hank: what do you think I'm good at? But I realized that's missing the point. What do I think I'm good at?

I thought about how I could present this little round up of good things. Maybe tell a story about each one, or reflect back on when I first realized I was good at it. But I think a list would be better. So here goes, the things I think I'm good at (sounds weird, doesn't it?):

I think I'm a good listener and advice giver...although maybe everyone thinks their advice is the best? haha.
I feel that I'm a good public speaker. I enjoy it, and it was something I always looked forward to as a teacher.
I am good at communicating and expressing how I feel. Sometimes this is to a fault because if something is on my mind and important, I have to say it, especially in my relationships.
I'm athletic and up for anything physical. I will always try my hardest and not give up. This is why I really enjoyed CrossFit when I did it- I enjoyed the physical challenge.
I'm good at motivating myself.
I'm a really, really fast reader. And an equally fast writer.
I'm a good cook.
I'm good at making new friends and talking with people I don't know- I love meeting new people.
I'm a great Mom and wife. I feel like I can say this with a lot of confidence.

It's so weird to think about this. I feel like I could make the list longer if I added in little things too- good at rocking Charlie back to sleep when he wakes up in the middle of the night, good at pulling splinters out of a tiny little finger, great at a backseat diaper change, side of the road nursing session, or singing the same song 10x in a row. These are the things that fill up my resume now- the "Mom" stuff I'm good at, and the stuff I do on a daily basis. But I think too, that's it's important to cultivate some of the non-Mom stuff- writing, for example. Doing things for me and figuring out what I'm good at now, outside of what I do everyday.

So there you go- that's my entry for the week. How about you? Link up below with a blurb and a link to your post. xo


Read more about my Journal Day project here.
Read previous Journal Days here.

16 comments:

  1. I enjoyed this week's prompt :) Thank you for sharing... I enjoyed reading your strengths!

    "...I think it's really great to celebrate all of the things that we are good at, our talents and abilities. If you think about it, there are over seven billion unique individuals on the planet--we all have our own great strengths and different, interesting areas of expertise."

    http://alifefortuitous.blogspot.com/2014/04/journal-day-strengths-and-abilities.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been lurking here and reading these and wanting to jump in for a while, but only just got to it this week. This one is was a challenging one because there is such a loud voice in my head discouraging direct self-praise like this. In the end though, it was actually helpful to put it out there.

    I like your list of mom things you're good at. As a mom, there are often so many things to juggle that it's easy to gloss over all the things that we really do, and do well. Thanks for sharing.

    my full post is at http://lydiashandmadelife.blogspot.com/2014/04/journal-day-first.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this prompt! I don't actually write posts about them but I will write my answer here although it feels so weird to write about myself. Anyway. Okay. The one thing that pride myself in being good at is the ability to look past the fake world presented to me and see the suffering. I am only 13 but I constantly fight for human and animal rights. I am vegan and I am always thinking of how I can make others lives better. I give money to the poor and I will always think of my impacts on others. I have only wanted to help others :) {Ok now I feel like I am boasting}. Kind of tying in with this is I think I am good at talking to others and helping them. I spend many nights talking people out of suicide {I have had some great stories of people who now live with no mental illnesses and are happy} and I can just over the internet talk someone out of killing themselves which I think is a good think to be able to do. I can make people see the good in themselves :)

    Great prompt! I can't wait till next weeks one!!
    P.S If you are wondering how it all works, this is my Instagram page http://instagram.com/projectkik4hearts

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow this was tougher than I thought!

    "I can't quite work out what it is that have squashed my ability to sing my own praises. Is it my British-ness, my femininity or my fear of offending someone less skilled in those areas? Why does to "boast" and "brag" appear to be a negative trait... Well no more! I'm putting it out there that there are some things that I'm bloody great at - that I'm proud to have mastered - that I'm happy when other people recognise it in or from me."

    http://time-to-be-an-adult.blogspot.co.uk/2014/04/journal-10-strength.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. yes, it was difficult to come up with a list!

    "But every time I’d attempt to do the flip, they’d flop. The poor things ended up looking like a scrambled mess. I gave up on eggs for a while after that. "

    http://frailrouge.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. This prompt was definitely a challenging one! Talking about yourself always seems to be that way!

    "It's definitely not the coolest thing to be good at. It's downright nerdy actually. But I truly believe it's the root source of all of my successes."1

    http://www.microscopelife.com/2014/04/journal-day-10.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved this post even though it proved to be a little harder than I thought it would be.

    http://glassesandgrenades.blogspot.com/2014/04/journal-day-10-strengths.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. Really difficult prompt this week!

    http://andwontonmakesthree.wordpress.com/2014/04/24/weekly-prompt-talents/

    ReplyDelete
  9. I loved this prompt! I only recently discovered your blog and I very quickly got on board with your journal prompts as a way to get me back into the habit of blogging since I love it so much but it can sometimes be a chore.

    It was hard to write this list without explaining or listing off all the things that I'm bad at, too. It's hard to not feel like you're bragging! But it was good, so thanks for this. Here's mine.
    http://xoxolib.wordpress.com/2014/04/24/page-thirty-one-skills-that-have-no-bearing-on-the-bills/

    ReplyDelete
  10. This was a hard one for me. I came up with 3.
    1)Getting ready everyday.
    2)Making dinner.
    3)Keeping dirty dishes off the counter

    http://whatmorriscouldiaskfor.blogspot.com/2014/04/good.html

    ReplyDelete
  11. I liked how you listed so many simple yet great things! I wrote mine here http://everydayingrace.blogspot.ca/2014/04/journal-10-what-am-i-good-at.html

    ReplyDelete
  12. "I find it hard to talk about my strengths. While weaknesses easily spring to mind, I still have to really think about the things that I'm good at. I think it's just human nature to be critical of ourselves so this is definitely a good exercise. I am good at things other than swimming. I've had people tell me that I'm good at motivating others & that I give good fashion advice. While I probably wouldn't say these are skills I possess on my own, I am flattered to hear that. Those are things I'm happy to be good at, if in fact I am."

    http://whoalansi.blogspot.ca/2014/04/journal-day-ten.html

    ReplyDelete
  13. It does amaze me how we often struggle to praise ourselves. What an awesome topic.

    I am good at:
    budgeting and keeping a check register
    listening and giving advice
    bringing smiles to those in need

    ReplyDelete
  14. This made me think about what I can get better at too.. thanks! - sarah

    http://lifein2words.blogspot.com/2014/04/journal-day-10-what-are-you-good-at.html

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is such a good question to think about. We spend so much time mulling over the things we'd like to do, or improve, or change about ourselves, and this is a great reminder to give ourselves credit for all the things we're already doing and are already good at. I don't blog but I'm writing a list!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am so behind. So sorry. Finally my answer is up!!!

    "At first I was really excited about this prompt. It seemed such an easy thing to talk about. The things that I am good at. Then, while writing, I just stared at my computer screen, drawing a complete blank. Ha, what am I good at? I don't want to put knitting down, or reading ... I wanted to have a deeper answer than just an activity I am good at. I want to answer this question with something that really defines me. Oh boy, here it goes."

    theknottedhome.blogspot.ca

    ReplyDelete