Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Sedona and 60th birthdays

There are so many times I feel like I have to thank the whole damn universe for surrounding me with these people I call family...and even more so, thankful that I actually want to spend all of my time with them. Just the other weekend my Mom turned 60 (still don't know how that's possible- in my mind I think she'll always be 35 or so) and my sister and I wanted to do something extra special. We knew we wanted to do Sedona, so we searched hotels and house rentals until we found the perfect place, via Airbnb. It can be hard to accommodate all 9 of us, and we're the kind of people who would prefer to stay in one big place together, rather than split off across a hotel, so this little spot was perfect. On a side note, remind me sometime to tell you the story of the one hotel room in New Jersey. Cra-zy.

So anyway, we ended up booking "The Roost" at Sedona Sacred Rocks, which is a former Buddhist Retreat turned healing center. Very, very cool and right up my Mom's alley. Our hosts Meaghan and Stephen were so warm and inviting and made the weekend so special. My Mom, sister, and I actually participated in a few of their ceremonies too. The place is surrounded by hundreds of miles of national forest and the overall feel is incredibly serene and peaceful, so even just sitting on the back porch made you feel good. It was the perfect way to ring in my Mom's 60th.

The whole weekend was full of lots of food (Simon's Hot Dogs, our favorite), walking, hiking, and just enjoying each others' company. 60 is such a big year, and with all my Mom has been through over the past decade it was pretty great to be able to move into a new chapter surrounded by all of the people we love.

Happy birthday, Mom! We love you.

Untitled Untitled Untitled Untitled Untitled Untitled Untitled Untitled Untitled Untitled Untitled Untitled Untitled Untitled Untitled Untitled Untitled Untitled Untitled Untitled Untitled Untitled Untitled Untitled Untitled Untitled

17 comments:

  1. What a way to celebrate :) Happy Birthday to your Mum! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Danielle, I'm new to your blog :) Just wanted to say hello. Lovely photos. Happy birthday to you mum! It was my mum's 62nd on the 14th of April. Like you, I always remember her as that 35-year-old woman when I was little. Anyway, have a happy Easter.

    Kind Regards,
    Marj of Chinwags and Tittle-Tattles

    ReplyDelete
  3. The landscapes are amazing !! & the way that henry looks at the pancakes, he is so cute :p

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like an awesome time - love the surroundings! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful place to spend a birthday & have a family gathering.

    ReplyDelete
  6. my father in law lives in bisbee. seeing these pictures makes me yearn for a roadtrip. the first time i saw the desert in person i was awestruck. pretty different scenery from what i see in alabama. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks so great! My husband's parents live near Mesa and last year we did a day trip to Sedona and Montezuma Castle. Not nearly enough time to really explore! I'd love to actually spend a couple days, definitely bookmarking this as inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love Sedona. I have only driven through and stopped for a brief meal on a road trip, but mostly fell in love with it. Lovely pictures, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such a fun trip! I'm really glad that we decided to do something extra special for her 60th. Sedona is so beautiful, I especially love the sky in the hiking pictures. We need to go back soon and go all the way up to the top next time! Definitely an amazing and very memorable trip!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sedona is my favorite place on earth

    ReplyDelete
  11. THAT BEDSPREAD oh my god I need it. Beautiful photos and family!

    ReplyDelete
  12. oh my gosh Arizona is so beautiful. I am happy that my Dad is happy in TX, but sometimes I wish he was still in Phoenix because man that state is gorgeous!

    It looks like you all had such a good time. I bet your mom was so happy to have all of you there celebrating with her!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Did you take all of these with your iPhone?

    ReplyDelete
  14. your family is beautiful! so sweet to see Lucy with Henry.

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips