Sunday, May 4, 2014

Journal Day #11

Sometimes it can be hard to hear criticism from others. I know for me it's something I may always struggle with- being a people pleaser, etc. At the same time though, constructive criticism can be very helpful, and allow us to look at ourselves in a new light and maybe even grow and change. Take a step out of yourself. If you were on the outside looking in, how would you critique yourself? What things do you see that could change or work on? This isn't about tearing ourselves down; it's about really looking at ourselves and seeing where there's room for growth.

A cheesy quote, perfect for this post. But cheesiness aside, can you relate?

Why is it so much easier to find fault in yourself than to recognize the good stuff? When I think back to last week it was difficult for me to come up with a list of the things I felt I was good at. But this week I was able to list quite a few things right off the bat that I either wished I was better or, or definitely saw a lot of room for improvement. And then of course it's hard to share those things in a public forum, you know? Sure it feels weird to be like "oh, I'm good at this. And this...and this too..." but I feel like it's such a vulnerable thing to say "yes, I am not so good at this," and put it out there into the world. But I guess that's the point of this whole exercise, so here goes.

I think one of my big things is taking on too much. I get REALLY excited about things, and want to do everything. And now with two kids, it's absolutely impossible to do even half of what I did before. But still, I'll want to say yes and do this and commit to that...but I'm working on reminding myself that 100% to ONE thing is better than half-assing a bunch of things. Huge lesson as of late. And that kind of goes into the next thing- the whole "quality over quantity" as far as relationships. I'm someone who loves, loves meeting new friends and making connections. However the older I get the more I also realize that I do not have the time to cultivate close bonds with every person I come across (and how silly does that even sound?). What I need to do is use the time I have to work on the relationships already in my life. This is hard for me because I want to connect and have all the time in the world for everyone, but over the past year or so I've become very mindful that time passes far too quickly to always count on having tomorrow with the people I love most.

Another big thing with me is being sensitive. I try so, so hard not to be this way because I think it causes me more heartache than necessary, but on the other hand I sometimes feel like feeling things- really feeling them- is awesome. So it's a tough one. But not taking things personally would be a big thing I will probably always be working on. I wear my heart on my sleeve and sometimes it's not the easiest. And then there are small things that I could list- not getting angry over silly things, thinking before I speak- online included, brushing off something that bugs me before it ruins my day...I think I could go on for awhile about the little things about myself that annoy me from time to time but I'll stop here! ;)

Sooo, that's my post. How about you? Share a blurb and a link below! And thank you so much for reading and participating- I'm going to take a couple weeks off from the project but I'll be back soon with a new prompt! xo

Read more about my Journal Day project here.
Read previous Journal Days here.


  1. Love your post! It really got me thinking about what I can improve, and I think a just got a little kick that I needed !! So thanks for writing that amazing post:)

  2. This proved to be a harder post to write than I expected!

    "I'm an introvert. And let me follow up quickly with I don't think there's anything wrong with being an introvert. It annoys me to no end when people say I'm not social enough, I'm too quiet, or I don't like to go out a lot. There's nothing wrong with that. I definitely don't think I need more friends or need to go out on the town more to be a better person. I do think there are some things about my particular introvertness that I can work to improve on though."

  3. I love that you do this every week (I just found your blog last week), but I LOVE reading how people think, feel, and do. I'm with you on the sensitivity thing. Before I had my son I was always priding myself on just how "indifferent" I am to everything (i think i cared more then I let on), but ever since I was pregnant with him I care about EVERYTHING- to the point where I am consumed with my thoughts and feelings.

    I posted mines here:

  4. It's definitely true that it seems to be much easier to find fault in ourselves rather than things to praise. I ran into the same "issue."

  5. I love that quote! It's so inspiring for us to just take control of our lives and go after what we want! You can read my journal at

    Hope you enjoy! :)

  6. Great post, Dani. And I'm right there with you. I want to be best friends with nearly everyone (well, I think I really just want everyone to WANT to be best friends with me), and I need to make the quality time with those that are currently in my life and cultivate those friendships and relationships constantly. I also want to do and try EVERYTHING, just like you said. And you're absolutely right, it's better to give 100% to something and do it to the best of my ability, than to half-ass it everywhere else.

    As always, I love these and this. (Also, be on the lookout tomorrow, you're getting some link love on the blog).

    "Oftentimes I’m crippled by the fear of what people will think of me. So I sit in my apathy and in my messy life and I don’t reach for anything beyond it. I am okay with my bubble, and in fact, I sometimes love my bubble and my complacency and my indifference."

    ~Jenna // A Mama Collective

  7. This weekend got away from me so I'm posting this almost a week late! But here we are - better late than never!

    "I think I'm a bit of a people pleaser myself, so hearing criticism isn't something I'm a huge fan of either. I know that it has it's place, but I truly hate to disappoint people. While I thought sharing what I was good at was hard, it's just as difficult to put my shortcomings out there, despite it being easier to think of areas where I fall short. These last two prompts are more alike than different in some ways."

  8. i love your blog and have been following your journey for quite some time. i find a lot of inspiration in your words and photos. I love your honesty in your posts and journal pages, and although i understand you were just giving your opinion, i was said to see your judgement as the quote as "cheesy". someone said it, and i am sure lots of people are inspired, motivated and empowered by the quote. i would hate to be the soul that loved that quote and felt shame that someone they looked up to valued it as "cheesy". whoever Kaci Dianne is, she felt those words, and shared them. if you really thought it was "cheesy", why put it on your beautiful blog? please, don't take this personally, it is just one admirers observation. peace, s

    1. Hi! :) No, don't worry, I don't take it personally at all! I totally get where you are coming from. I didn't mean to offend you either! The biggest thing is that I consider myself a TOTALLY cheesy person, so that's why I love the quote. I don't think calling it cheesy is an insult at all. If you follow me on Pinterest you'll see how much I love stuff like that! haha. Anyway, thank you for leaving such a sweet comment- I will be sure to be more mindful about this though, and I do appreciate you sharing your opinion. Lots of love and thank you for reading. :) <3

  9. Thank you, Dani, for taking a break from the Journal Days so that I can catch up! Ha! I am a new mother and I am realizing the "challenge" it is to get on here every day, heck, even every week. I really love this series and I love how it is making me reflect on all sorts of things. Thank you so much for bringing it back to your blog.

    "In summery, I either need an assistant or to figure out a way to make two of me. Yes. Yes. This would solve all of my problems. Or schedule my day better. In summery, I either need an assistant or to figure out a way to make two of me. Yes. Yes. This would solve all of my problems. Or err schedule my day better."

  10. Oh no. For some reason my comment had an error. I just wanted to say thank you, Dani, for starting this Journal Day series. I love the way it makes me think about all sorts of things in my life. I also want to thank you for taking a tiny break with the series, so that I (a new mother) can catch up! Hooray. Here is a little clip from my blog post down below. I hope you enjoy.

    "In summery, I either need an assistant or to figure out a way to make two of me. Yes. Yes. This would solve all of my problems. Or schedule my day better."


Blogging tips