Tuesday, June 10, 2014

A Palm Springs Birthday-Anniversary-Birthday Weekend

Awhile back Hank and I decided to stop giving each other gifts for birthdays, our anniversary, Valentine's Day, and even Christmas. We always, always do hand written letters or cards and small items on occasion, but we made the decision to put our money towards experiences rather than things and haven't look back. Our birthdays and wedding anniversary also happens to fall in the span of four days (mine is May 29th, our anniversary is May 31st, and Hank's birthday is June 1st), so for the past few years we've always done a stay-cation to celebrate. This time around, there was no way I could leave Charlie overnight, so we decided to make it a family affair and invite my parents and my sister and her family too.

We first tried Airbnb when we all went to Sedona to celebrate my Mom's 60th birthday and really, really fell in love with the whole concept. It was such a nice change (and so much more affordable) than all staying in a hotel, so when we started to plan this weekend I immediately checked out Airbnb listings to find a place. We lucked out again, and found a great, kid-friendly spot right in the heart of Palm Springs. 

We celebrated my birthday when we arrived Thursday night- my parents, sister and Lucy were waiting for us with party hats and cheesecake- and then Hank and I got to go out on Saturday to celebrate our anniversary. Sunday was Hank's birthday and we woke him up with donuts and coffee, and in between all of it was a lot of pool time, good food, and enjoying downtown Palm Springs.

It's weird, if you would have told me a few years ago I would be visiting Palm Springs twice in the span of a few months (or ever!) I probably wouldn't have believed you. But we've really fallen in love with that quirky little town. It's a quick drive and feels like you're a world away once you're there. Have you been there? If so, what did you think? And I'm also curious- have you ever tried Airbnb? If you haven't take a look at all the awesome places all over the world when you get a moment. And full disclosure, that's my referral link, so you will get $25 credit when you use the service and so will I. I've also heard Home Away is a great, similar site. Any recs for that one?

And of course, here are a million photos from our weekend- mainly photos from my regular camera, which I edited with A Beautiful Mess actions. There are also some from my iPhone mixed up in there too.

xoxo






26 comments:

  1. Love all the pictures, just too cute! A belated happy birthday to you and Hank and a belated happy anniversary as well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such gorgeous photographs, looks like you had a wonderful time. I'm intrigued by Air BnB but just a bit scared to try it! X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rosie! And I was the same way, it's a little scary but the first time we did it we felt way more comfortable. Let me know if you try it! <3

      Delete
  3. Looks like you had a lovely time! ps. I love your dress (black one with turquoise accents) - may I ask where is it from?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! And of course, here's the link: http://bit.ly/1pAZiW1

      xoxoxo

      Delete
  4. I love that you gift experiences. We do that some of the time too. In the past we have used Home Away for family vacations and always had a great experience.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Emily! I think we may try them out next time we book a bigger trip- I just looked at their website and it looks great.

      xo

      Delete
  5. that sounds & looks like sooo much fun!
    xo, cheyenne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by Cheyenne! :)

      Delete
  6. Ooh, it looks like you had a wonderful time! Also, what a cracking idea - saving towards family experiences, creating memories, it's a gift in itself ^_^ Gorgeous pictures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Kate! And yes, I'm so happy we decided to go this way. Way more enjoyable! :)

      Delete
  7. Oh my gosh I loved EVERY SINGLE ONE of these!! You have such a lovely family darling! It's funny I was just editing our photos from Florida and thought to myself "god does anyone else even want to see these??" and now I just got so much enjoyment from looking at yours that I figure maybe some people do?? I had a huge grin on my face the entire time! I just love seeing people enjoying their family and their life! Love you sweetheart! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much my sweet friend! I adore YOU! I can't wait to see your Florida photos! :)

      Delete
  8. Looks like you and your family had a wonderful trip. My parents are exactly the same - the save up for trips rather than gifts. My Mom LOVES using sites like Airbnb and Home Away. She always used them when they go on trips for extended periods and it ends up being a lot cheaper.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Okay that's three votes for Home Away! I can't wait to try it.

      Delete
  9. That house is so gorgeous. Looks like you had a great time. Love that blanket in the last photos!

    ReplyDelete
  10. happy belated birthday to you and hank and a happy anniversary to you, too! looks like you guys had a great time. i've been wanting to visit palm springs for what feels like FOREVER and we just haven't done it yet. maybe this year will be the year?! also, would you mind sharing what brand of swimsuit you're wearing in these? because seriously, it's the cutest!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lacey! You guys should totally go- let me know if you want any recs, or maybe I should do a little post on fave spots!? Anyway, the swimsuit is Jessica Simpson via Nordstrom- I shared a link to it in the post right after this one. :)

      xoxo

      Delete
    2. thanks danielle! i'll totally hit you up for recs, i'm sure, but i'd also love to read about some of your fave spots. i mean, duh. and thanks again for suit info!

      Delete
  11. I love this, such fun to just go and rent a place and have a little vacation with the entire family. I've used airbnb before a couple of times and both were great experiences. Once was an apartment in the mile end in Montreal. That spot was a rental property that the host used just for that purpose and it was really nice. The second time was when my parents came to Brooklyn last year to visit. We found someone one block away (!!) who was going out of town and renting his apartment. It was super cool, a chic loft conversion in a luxury building, so my parents got a kick out of that. Soooo Williamsburg.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Where did you get the pink and red dress? It is so cute! I love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Such a fun trip and so much good food! Those shakes! Love how you guys do trips instead of gifts. Can't wait for our next adventure!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful photographs!! Looks like a great time :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I grew up in La Quinta-on the east end of the Coachella Valley-and thought it was a total pit-the summers were pretty hard to endure. Now that I haven't lived there in 10 years, I absolutely LOVE visiting because we can choose to visit during the "season." Glad you have enjoyed your visits there-I can't wait to go back in the fall :)

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips