Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Two Quick and Easy Summer Recipes



There's nothing like corn on the cob and a fresh summer salad during a hot day. This past Sunday's family dinner was extra tasty- "cowboy" burgers, Trader's Joe's Chili Lime Chicken burgers, summer orzo salad and corn on the cob. It was delicious, and I wanted to share the recipes for a couple of the items. They're easy to make with just a few ingredients.

Summer Orzo Salad

You'll need:

1 box of orzo
2 bell peppers
1 small yellow onion
3-4 cloves of garlic
1 lemon
salt/pepper
olive oil

Directions:

Preheat your oven to 425. Chop up your veggies and place them in a bowl. Add in splash of olive oil and salt and pepper. Mix and be sure the veggies are coated. Spread out on a baking sheet and roast in your oven for about 30-35 minutes. While the vegetables are roasting, cook your orzo on the stove top. Once it's done rinse with cool water and drain. Next, mix the cooled orzo and veggies in your serving bowl. Squeeze the juice of 1/2 a lemon all over to act as a dressing. Taste it- you may want to use the whole lemon but for me, half was perfect. Enjoy!

Chili and Lime Coconut Oil Roasted Corn

*I almost feel silly posting this because it's so easy, but until recently I never thought to roast corn with coconut oil, so I thought I would share!

You'll need:

4-5 ears of corn
2 tbsp coconut oil
chili powder
1 lime

Directions:

In a bowl mix your melted coconut oil and chili powder. I used the smallest amount of the powder because Henry was going to be eating it too, but you could use anywhere from a dash to a couple of tablespoons. It's all up to your preference. Toss the corn in the mixture until each piece is coated. Transfer to your grill and cook until some of the kernels are just beginning to brown. Before serving squeeze the juice of one lime all over.

Enjoy!


12 comments:

  1. The chili and lime coconut roasted corn sounds like something my whole family would enjoy! I'll have to suggest it for one of our cookouts this summer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a genius idea for the corn - sounds delicious!

    Beccy ~ Bluebell & Bumpkin

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have some orzo that has been in the cupboard forever. I'm going to make that pasta tomorrow! Sounds so yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi!!

    Your blog has caught our attention thanks to the quality of your recipes. We would be delighted if you would join us on Mytaste.com so that we could link to your blog.

    Mytaste.com is a search engine that compiles the best American cooking sites and blogs from the Internet. We are one of the largest in the world with sites in 37 markets and thousands of blogs are already enrolled here and benefit from the traffic we are sending to their sites.

    To join Mytaste.com, just go to mytaste.com/add-your-food-blog

    Sincerely,

    Emilie
    Mytaste.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. That summer orzo salad look so delicious! Yum!!!!! I'll definitely be making that this summer -thanks for sharing. :)

    Jess
    www.littlemapleleaf.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. That summer orzo salad look so delicious! Yum!!!!! I'll definitely be making that this summer -thanks for sharing. :)

    Jess
    www.littlemapleleaf.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I will try this over the weekend! Random share, this made me think of your blog: http://www.babylit.com/shop-books/

    ReplyDelete
  8. I will try these recipes over the weekend! Random share, this made me think of your blog: http://www.babylit.com/shop-books/

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ohhh yummmm!!! This pregnant lady NEEDS this in my belly right now : ) Thanks for sharing

    Keiley
    www.familykmckean.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks delicious! Aaaand I want your plates :) :) :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am super excited about that orzo recipe! Thank you!

    The Rambling Fangirl

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have never had orzo. This looks delicious though!

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips