Monday, July 14, 2014

Arizona to Chicago: Farewell Erin!

Happy Monday! I wonder how many other weekend posts around the web started that way this morning. It is a happy one though, if only for the fact that we got all of our errands done before 9am and now both boys are napping. And this weekend? Oh, was such a great one. It was full of all the things I love the most- friends, family, really, really great food, and lots of dancing. On Saturday in fact I had to pinch myself as I took a look around on that crowded dance floor, and realized that this was IT. This was one of those really happy moments I'll think back to for years to come- surrounded by some of my oldest friends, drinks clinking, singing along to really ridiculous 90s country at 12am. The song playing at the moment was Shania Twain's "Any Man of Mine," if that gives you a better picture of the awesomely embarrassing girl power celebration that was going on. Earlier that night I had tucked another moment away, taking a second to memorize all the details as we all spun each other around that hot, crowded dance floor at the Rusty Spur as the live band played and played. And if my memory fails me one day, at least I have a poorly-lit two minute video to take me right back. ;)

And I have to say this too- when you grow up with the same group of friends- when they've seen you through all the weird phases and weird hair and even weirder boyfriends, there's a deep comfort and love there. I've talked about this countless times here, but all of us lived together through college, experiencing every bit of life together for years. And then after we graduated, we lived together too, all meeting each others' husbands as we met them for ourselves, and then later watching each of our separate stories unfold; jobs and marriage and houses and kids, the easy stuff and the hard stuff- all the stuff really. So it was an emotional weekend, full of lots of laughter and some tears too, as we celebrated our friendships while also saying goodbye to Erin, who is moving to Chicago next month.

Erin and I met our freshman year of college- we lived in the same dorm and ended up rushing the same sorority- and we had an instant connection. Fast forward 14 years down the road and we've experienced all sorts of life's adventures at the same time, even being pregnant with Henry and her Kyler together. I'm very sad to see her go, but it's also incredibly exciting to know they are off on this new adventure. Plus, I've never been to Chicago and I can't wait to check it out! So Windy City people, if you see Erin around, tell her hello...she's a good one!

Below are just a few iPhone photos of our weekend at The Valley Ho. I wish I had taken more of the hotel itself- it's one of my favorites- and if you like mid-century design definitely check it out. The history of the place is pretty awesome. Autumn, Shirley, Alana and I actually lived right down the street from it on 2nd Street after college- the whole area is really fun.

And one last request before we get to the photos- Chicago people, do you have any must-sees or must-dos (places to go, restaurants, etc) for Erin and her family? I'm going to direct her to the comments, so hopefully a few of you are from the Chicago area and can share some expertise! Thank you in advance.

xoxo

14 comments:

  1. How fun and special....great weekend for sure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shannon- it was such a fun weekend. I wish it would have been a little longer! ;)

      Delete
  2. You captured the weekend perfectly!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So much good food and fun places in chicago. Let me know if she needs any info depending on what area she's in I can give better suggestions, but here's a few. Food: Kumas corner for burgers, pequods for pizza, girl and the goat, publican, purple pig fare all good for dates. Glazed and infused for amazing donuts. Lincoln park zoo fun and free:) the nature museum is right there too along with a nature walk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perfect! Thank you Jessica- I will share this with her!

      Delete
  4. such great pictures, looks like you had a great weekend :)
    xo, cheyenne

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great weekend you all had! She is certainly going to be missed!!!
    Hali

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Hali! :) Thank you for stopping by- and I know...I already miss her so much!

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. Takes one to know one, lady! And thank you :)

      Delete
  7. You give me hope that I can still look good as a mommy and hang with my besties from time to time. P.S. I love your romper! Where is it from?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Jen! :) The romper is from Target! <3

      Delete

 
Blogging tips