Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Our 4th of July Weekend

What a weekend! It started off on Friday with the annual Kiddie Parade, and continued that evening with a potluck BBQ with friends at our house. It was so delicious- Veronica brought the most amazing ribs that I'm still thinking about and in addition to that barbeque-saucy goodness we had a ton of patriotic sweet treats, a few salads, and hot dogs for the kids. It was such a nice night, and so full of conversation and fun that I took just a handful of photos- and that's always the sign of a successful evening, don't you think? Once it got dark we loaded the kids up into strollers and wagons, gave them a ton of glow sticks and necklaces, and walked down the street to the park for fireworks. We had five blankets between all the families, and it was a great feeling to look around and see this whole new chapter of our life. Kids and holidays and other families that are our friends...it's a great thing.

The next morning was the big 4th of July parade downtown, and we headed over to Hank's Dad's to watch it like we do every year. I mentioned it on Instagram, but I realized that Hank's Grandpa, Dad, and Hank himself have all watched the parade every year from that very lawn, just like Henry and Charlie now do. Pretty neat, right? The parade lasted all morning and just as it was ending the rain started to finally come down, hard. I must have heard a million "don't rain on our parade" jokes that morning. ;) And then later that night I went out with my girlfriends and stayed out way too late for the first time since having Charlie. It was SO much fun though, laughing and talking the night away. It was a great end to a whirlwind weekend that had been tinged with some sadness too, as our community remembered the 19 firefighters we lost last year.

I hope you had a happy, happy 4th of July too, whatever you did! Can we also discuss for a second that because it's officially July, I can say that Charlie's birthday is NEXT month?! Insanity.

Here are some photos -


16 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness so many patriotic decorations and food! Glad you had a great time :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right?! It's America overload! Thanks for the sweet comment, Tina! :)

      Delete
  2. that looks like such a fun weekend! great photos :)
    xo, cheyenne

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is there a alcoholic culture around the 4th of July? Here in Australia we celebrate Australia Day but unfortunately there is a strong alcoholic influence for the day, obviously there are also family friendly options but generally it's seen as a day to drink, just curious if it's similar over there?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So this is just my take, coming from a family that doesn't really drink but growing up I've never experienced that. Even at our BBQ we had some beer and drinks but it wasn't the main focus at all, and then just looking around at our friends and family and how they celebrate I don't see that either! But maybe overall there is one...but in this neck of the woods I don't see it being the focus. :) You're so lucky to live where you do- I would LOVE to visit!
      <3

      Delete
  4. I know this may sound odd but the one photograph that stood out to me had the sign for Hampton Funeral Home- is that owned by Hank's family? If so, awesome history! (I'm in that field of work too!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jona!

      Yes, that's one of Hank's Dad's businesses...it's been in the family for 3 generations, although it's not what Hank does. I find it fascinating and wish I was able to handle it because I think there are parts of that profession I would really enjoy...at least the helping families part! :)

      xoxo

      Delete
  5. I love how patriotic these photos are. Looks like such a great parade and gathering for the 4th! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jessica! :) I hope you had an awesome 4th too! <3

      Delete
  6. I love these pictures and the family photo! So cute! And good for you for having a night out :) My baby boy is two months old today, and I can imagine how hard it is to leave your little one at home! I just went back to work yesterday, and it's killing me! Haha. Also, what kind of carrier is that? I have a Mei Tai and it's great, but a little complicated for when you're out and about! I'd love to get something a little more practical. :)

    Kelsey // Chaos Parade

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those ribs have officially made me hungry. Also I'm with you on the next month birthday train. August will be two at the end of next month, but my husband said that to someone the other day and I nearly did a spit take. It snuck up on me!

    Having kids has made every holiday an entirely different kind of fun. Sharing traditions with our tiny humans seems to breathe new life into them. I never used to get so excited about the 4th of July, but I couldn't wait to get to the parade with August this year.

    ReplyDelete
  8. These pictures are wonderful! I love seeing what people did to celebrate! I wish it hadn't been raining where I live, so I could've enjoyed it more, but I was still able to see some fireworks! Great pictures!
    ~Sara

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love to see photos from 4th July, they are so colourful and filled with joy and happiness.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love all the 4th July photos. One year I'd love to be in America for it, it looks like such a great time. x

    ReplyDelete
  11. you guys are just the CUTEST! ugh. I love every pic.

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips