Tuesday, September 16, 2014

The Little Things: 10 Years Together

Family Photos, November 2011

Every September the leaves are just beginning to turn and there's a feeling in the air- a little bit of fall, but a little bit of nostalgia too- remembering what it felt like, so many years ago, to fall in love.

When I think about the little anniversaries in our life, our first date, our first kiss, that first summer together, I think I might enjoy these small markers even more than our wedding anniversary. These things are the things we've built everything on. The little things. That first look at each other when we were getting out of our cars, meeting for dinner on our first date. Walking over to meet Hank in the parking lot, holding hands while we strolled around before the movie, embracing before we said goodbye. And later, the first time I introduced him to my family; our first weekend away, the first time we said 'I love you,' our first fight.

I of course don't have most of these dates jotted down, but when I think back to them, I can pull them out of the depths of the past decade and recall specific details if I try hard enough. The polka dot skirt I wore. The hoodie Hank had on, that he let me wear in the movie theater. I can even remember getting online the next morning to find the longest letter from him, post-first-date, helping to push aside all the secret fears I had been holding onto.

And the small things are what have made us into who we are. They are things that have formed the foundation of us, and that have allowed us to build and build until we arrived at where we are now. Many more years ahead of us, but here we are, this love and our two children and this life that we have built.

To have someone who sees you and gets you and accepts you, who has seen the very worst parts of you, who has been the hand and the shoulder and the arms and the ears, who has been everything to you, and who has let you be you, to be the best you you didn't even know was inside of you...that is a special, special thing.

10 years represents so much- hard work and good times (and bad times) and everything in between. It's spending your entire 20s with your best friend, a period of great growth and change, and finding out that where it could have been possible to grow apart, you were lucky enough to grow even stronger. It's a deep, passionate, quiet, comfortable love. It's holding someone in your arms, in all of their flawed imperfection, and saying "I see you. All of you. And I love you all the same."

My sweet, sweet love. Here's to 10 years, and here's to 100 more.

26 comments:

  1. Aww, this is so sweet. I so know what you mean. My BF and I are almost at six years together. It's not quite ten, but since we've been together since we were 19, we've grown up together. That's a pretty special relationship.

    Cat
    http://oddlylovely.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that Cat- I feel like when you're together so young, and so for long...there's a beautiful thing that happens when you spend those years growing up together. Happy almost six years, my friend!

      xo

      Delete
  2. I wrote a very similar post today for my 8th wedding anniversary, it's a great time of year for love :) http://blog.genevieveflynnphotography.com/2014/09/15/what-makes-a-marriage/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for sharing, Genevieve! I am headed over to read your post now. :)

      Delete
  3. Very well said Danielle. Congratulations to the both of you!! It only gets better from here!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Jen! I agree- the best is yet to come! <3

      Delete
  4. I loved this post as I am a romantic through and through. My husband and I will be celebrating 10 years together come March and all of our anniversaries are on the same date. 3/17/05 was our first date/kiss, 3/17/09 was when we got engaged and 3/17/10 was when we got married. That day truly feels like ours and is so special because it brings so many old happy memories flooding back. I'm a believer in celebrating the years you've been together not just the married years. The years before are the true beginning and deserve to be remembered.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Really loved reading this post. Rob and I have been together for ten years as well and I can definitely remember all those "firsts" together. It's so nice to see another couple share so much love and admiration for each other. Congratulations to you both and here's to many more years of love and happiness! <3

    xo,
    Christina
    www.newdarlings.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Loved the part about getting to spend your twenties together-pure sweetness, probably a little heartache but so lucky too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This November will be my and my husband's 10 year dating anniversary and our 1 year of marriage anniversary! We've been together since we were 15/16 and we really did grow up together. I think that's why we get along so well, we've both changed so much, but we've changed together. Your post really put to words what I've been thinking & feeling lately! 10 years is such a milestone!

    ReplyDelete
  8. 10 lovers happy!

    How to have a quiet man who accompanied us and accept what we are whole. The best and the worst, me and all my little things.

    always so touched to read you Dani!

    http://www.myhappy-d.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. I loved reading your reflection of your relationship! I love the sentimentality of it all. And, most definitely, 10 years is a milestone. You definitely brightened my morning and filled it with the happiest memories of me and my husband's years together! Cheers to you both!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is amazing. Congratulations!
    I love how you relate to the Fall & your love because that's how I feel about the Fall & mine! :)
    Whenever I think about Autumn, I don't just think of pumpkin spice lattes & pumpkin bread (although both so delicious) I think about Thanksgiving, my Birthday ( :) ) and when I fell in love with the man of my dreams. I remember him BRINGING me pumpkin spice lattes everyday at work for like, 3 weeks. I remember meeting up with him at a bar (what?! I'm such an introvert LOL), going to Halloween events (Fright Night at a National Park) & taking long walks where our noses were turning red and we were just starting to see our breath. Fall to me means so much more and I'm so glad that others out there feel the same way I do. <3

    Have a great day Danielle

    Jessica
    www.jessicaseverydaymusings.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. I resonate with this, my boyfriend and I will be 10 years together next year, and having been together since we were 27, we've grown up together. I think it's a mark of a strong relationship when it goes through lots of changing, not only in life, but in the person too.

    Happy 10 years! :D

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a beautiful post - its so wonderful to find that person who sees all of your soul and still loves you anyway - it's a magical thing. Happy 10 years!

    ReplyDelete
  13. So beautiful! Happy decade together!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love that photo, gorgeous! Great love story.
    http://palsywalsyblog.blogspot.ca/

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful post! I enjoy reading about love. Can't help being a romantic. Happy 10 years to you and Hank!

    ReplyDelete
  16. So sweet!! I love reading these type of things, Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh I love this!! We don't exactly have fall in Hawaii, but I do get a little sentimental every year because this was the time of year that Dave and I met and fell in love. I, too, can recall so many details when I try. And it's so much fun going over all of this together. We'll hit 19 years next spring! wow. I love love! :)
    XO thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Congratulations! We're bordering on 12 years (1 yr married) and you're right, it is SO great to grow up together. We met when we were 15 and went through high school, uni and now marriage together! It's the best!
    http://dasherlife.com

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips