Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Currently.


Reading: I talked a little bit about what I've been reading on Instagram earlier this week, and asked friends what they've been reading. I've been loving going through and checking out all of the suggested books in the comments so if you're in the market for something new be sure to read through them. I've been on a major reading kick lately, which always indicates one of two things- one, that I'm operating as my best self, because when I'm filling any free time with books rather than television, I feel good. The other time I read nonstop is when I feel insanely stressed out and its the only thing that makes me feel better. Oh, I have a TON of things to get done, need to take the boys here or there and call back a couple of friends? Let's just ignore my entire to-do list and read all night instead. Haha. Sooo I'm somewhere in the middle of the two right now, which isn't so bad. But I did get sucked into a fun little YA series- "If I Stay," and finished the second book last night. It's a TOTAL beach read- very easy and quick! I also finished up Middlesex recently which is definitely not a beach read (although I would definitely read it on the beach, ha) and it's in my top favorite books, ever. It was that amazing. If you haven't yet read it, please do yourself a favor and give it a try. And when you're done, check out the discussion I led over on A Beautiful Mess. I'm also currently reading this book and love it- I'll post a review when I finish it.

Eating: When the seasons change do you ever find yourself gravitating towards certain foods? I really, really don't like pumpkin flavored anything (besides actual pumpkin pie) so that's out for me in the fall, but I do always seem to love apples more than ever. Especially warm apples- baked apples, apple pie, chunky homemade applesauce, you name it. We've been on a major apple kick in our house and I've been scouring Pinterest for fun recipes, so if you have any good ones, send them our way!

Thinking about: I got an email from an old friend last night, about a conversation we'd had about blogging last time we saw each other and all of the things we'd be thinking about since that conversation. For me, my mindset about blogging has been shifting. I just don't feel pressure anymore- and it's not like anyone was ever pressuring me to share things here- I brought that on myself, but I did still feel it at one point. And by the way, it's really kind of silly to use blogging and pressure in the same breath, don't you think? I'd say there are much more pressing issues in life. ;) But really, I really don't feel like this blog ever has to be black or white. I don't feel "bad" about what I do or don't post...although I used to. This blog is what I want it to be, because it's mine. Simple and obvious and almost comical to say that out loud...but it's true. Write as much as you like, write as little as you like. Share things because they make you feel good to share them, not because you're filling your blog post quota for the day. Take on a partnership with a brand if you enjoy what you can do together. Say yes, say no. And I think in the past year or so I've come to a point where I really enjoy sharing here, because I don't feel like I have to share here, if that makes sense. Some weeks I might post 5x, and others I may post once. And as my kids get older I will absolutely post less about them. It's already a lot less than I've ever shared, but as I grow myself and see things even more clearly, I sense that line that was already there forming more and more. And I welcome it.

Listening:  I went to see The Gaslight Anthem the other night and had the best time. There's nothing like seeing your favorite band and singing along right up front, to make you feel so, so alive. I was positively giddy that night, and the afterglow is still hanging around- I hope music always has that power over me. The show was amazing. They played almost all of my favorite songs, and I actually got a new appreciation for a lot of the songs on the new record too. I think my two favorites would have to be "Selected Poems" and "Dark Places." To have the first one on that short list is pretty funny though, because until last week I'd never even listed to it past the slow intro. For some reason it rubbed me the wrong way so I always skipped it. Then while we were driving, Henry heard that part come on and wanted to hear it all the way through, so I let it play...and ended up discovering how much I love it.

Watching:  (spoiler alert!) I haven't have time to watch many shows this season but I have made time to watch Parenthood. Are you watching? It's the final season and it's already making me cry every episode. It's hard to watch at times because it makes me so emotional, and like a weirdo I feel toooootally invested in the characters and talk about them like I know them. Do you watch? Do you think Joel and Julia will (or should) get back together? I'm so curious...

Loving:  There's so much to love right now. Charlie and his walking/running/neverending movement, Henry and his excitement about learning and reading and writing. Camping this weekend. Having Lauren and her family here. Flagstaff in a couple weeks for Homecoming with my girlfriends. Leaves changing. Long walks with Charlie while Henry's at school. Finding new ways to cope with anxiety and working on that whole "best self" thing. Planning a fun trip with Hank. Friends having babies. The list goes on. It's a good season of our life right now, and I feel so thankful.

So, how about you? What are you up to today? Feel free to do your own "currently" post on your blog and link back in the comments for everyone to check out. And thanks again to my dear friend Megan for providing the original inspiration for these posts.

31 comments:

  1. I am, like, SO sad about Joel & Julia. You know? I cry every episode -- I just can't help it. Did you ever read The Power of Habit? I know I'm not super current with that one, but I've just read it and it really has me thinking about the strange ways in which our brains work. Hope you have a lovely fall!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Laura!

      We are definitely on the same page with our buddies Joel and Julia. haha. I can't wait to see what happens. And no, I've never heard of that book but will add it to my list. Thanks so much! :)

      xo

      Delete
  2. Joel and Julia SHOULD get back together! If that happens, all will be right in this worrrrrld!! And after that, Joel should spend his life with me because I mean have you SEEN Joel?! Also, I'm so glad Coach is getting his surgery, but I feel like something bad may happen...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my god I TOTALLY agree about Zeke...I have a very bad feeling. They wouldn't kill him off, right? :/

      Delete
  3. I love apple everything too and eat it year round! Our fave local food truck (the Yum Yum Cupcake Truck) has THE best Hootenanny Harvest Apple cupcake! I wish I could send you one. Haha! I am also loving Parenthood as per usual. I read that the family will have to deal with something they've never dealt with this season which really worries me. I love Joel and julia together. I honestly think it was silly for Joel to move out when he did for the reasons he did. I felt like they could've gotten through it had he not thrown in the towel. But now Julia seems to have moved on and is happier than she was last season. I'm still holding out hope that they will finally get on the same page!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hootenanny Harvest Apple Cupcake?! That sounds amazing!

      I also read that, and something about how what happens with Zeke in the first episode will be a major thing throughout the season. Nooo :(

      <3

      Delete
  4. I love these posts, Dani. Such a neat way to compile some of the things showing where you're at right now, and really fun to read. Also, great post the other day on being your best self. It was really well said, and something I've been thinking about a lot lately too. So thanks for that.

    As for books, have you read Life After Life by Kate Atkinson? Definitely the best book I've read this year (although it came out last year), and the first one I'd recommend to anyone. SO GOOD. For YA, We Were Liars by E. Lockhart was a great suspense with a twist (go into it blind if you read this one!), and I just finished Jandy Nelson's I'll Give You the Sun, which was heartbreaking and beautiful. What did you end up thinking about Gone Girl? That was a page turner for me for sure - I'm looking forward to seeing the movie!

    And oh, Parenthood. Makes me cry every time too, even the commercials. :) And I do hope Julia and Joel are able to make it work - I'm so invested, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Chrissie! I feel the same way, and realized I hadn't done in way too long! I'm happy to hop back on the Currently train. :)

      I've never read that book, or even heard of it actually. I'm excited to check it out. And thank you for the other recs too- never enough books!

      <3

      Delete
  5. Did you see this post? http://lovetaza.com/2014/10/toddler-eats-cooking-with-apples/ I love Kelsey! My favorite childhood recipe is baked apples: 350 degree oven...Scoop out the core from top of the apple, leaving a well. *Do not cut all the way through. Stuff each apple with 2 tablespoons brown sugar and 1 tablespoon butter. Place in a shallow baking dish and sprinkle with cinnamon. Cook until tender :) I can't wait to hear about your camping trip.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No I haven't and that looks SOOO good! Yum! Thanks Lindsay! :)

      Delete
  6. Oooh so jealous you'll be in Flag for Homecoming this year. I'm due that weekend so probably not a great idea ;) Have a blast!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha yes...probaaably not a good idea! How exciting for you though! So soon! <3

      Delete
  7. Gaslight is playing Nashville tonight and I am missing it, ugghhh.

    So happy I stumbled across your blog! Lots of common interests.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh bummer! Hopefully they'll be back through soon enough! :)

      I'm happy you stumbled across it too- welcome! <3

      Delete
  8. I completely agree with what you are thinking about! When I first started my blog, I felt so pressured to blog every time and come up with all this content and do everything perfect, but I took some time away this summer and I realized if I am not enjoying it, I won't succeed anyway. I only post twice a week now and I have learned to (mostly) stop caring if people are even reading my blog. If no one finds me interesting, that is totally okay because I will still have a place filled with memories and pictures of my son growing up and vacations my family has gone on. That is good enough for me.

    I have been crying during every Parenthood episode too! I want Joel and Julia to get back together so bad! I was heartbroken when they split up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it funny how that shift happens? It's a good place to be in for sure, and I'm happy to join you!

      I was also heartbroken- crossing my fingers it works out!

      Delete
  9. I love what you've done with this post with the reading, eating, listening, and etc. It's very inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my God...total spoiler on Parenthood! I haven't gotten to see the last season yet! Ahhh! I must will myself to forget.... *cries*

    Christen
    http://christenlouise.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Christen!

      I'm incredibly sorry! I feel terrible. I just assumed since it's a season past it would be okay, but I absolutely should have warned you. I'm so sorry. I've since added a spoiler alert...

      <3

      Delete
  11. Ahh Parenthood!
    Is it weird that I'm overly emotional about this being the last season? I'm so invested in these characters and I find it's one of the few shows that I actually look forward to and enjoy watching as opposed to "having" to watch it because it's on my list. Do you know what I mean?

    I wonder what other types of family dramas will be out there next??

    Jess

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jessica,

      Yes, I so get what you mean. Shows we're invested in but maybe only watch because we've always watched. I always want to watch Parenthood- no matter what! I'm sad it's over...

      Thanks for reading! :)
      xo

      Delete
  12. I feel this way about Parenthood and Greys Anatomy because I've watched both since they started and I feel like the characters are real people and I will miss them! Its so silly, but Parenthood especially is one I love. It seems so genuine, like how they talk over each other (most shows don't do that), but its so real life-ish!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. TOTALLY! I actually started watching GA this past year and I'm on season 3. It's SO good...and totally sucks you in!

      Delete
  13. I hated that Joel moved out. He didn't give her the opportunity to explain. I think it's kind of weird how they're taking Julia's character to what seems like a happier state without him. I'd like to see them back together though. I also wish their daughter wasn't such a pain in the ass. I mean when will she grow out of it?! 😉

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have tried over and over and over again to get past the first chapter of Middlesex. I know it will be good once I really get into it. Did you have trouble getting past chapter one??!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brianna, YES! It took me almost a decade of trying to read it. I talked about that over on that post on A Beautiful Mess. It's totally worth it, if you can get past that! Keep me posted! <3

      Delete
  15. I love Parenthood! It makes me so so emotional every week, I've just discovered the show and I'm really sad it's ending this season.

    Here's my list of 'currentlys' I just love making any kind of list!!

    http://sheissmallsheishappy.blogspot.co.uk/2014/10/small-happy-and-currently-1.html

    Sophia x

    ReplyDelete
  16. So happy you enjoyed Gaslight. They are coming to the UK in a few weeks and I can't wait to see them. Selected Poems is one of my favourites too.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm obsessing over parenthood too! Just catching up on your posts :)

    I actually did a currently post today: http://www.aileenbarker.com/2014/10/currently-10/

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips