Wednesday, October 1, 2014

These Cousin Days

These "cousin days" as we call them, are the best. Right now we have a full house while my sister and her family live with us in the midst of house-hunting. I stay home with the three children while Hank, Abe and Lauren go to work in the morning. I take all three to preschool drop off, bring two of them back, put them down for naps, feed them lunch, and get Henry again. I share this here because it's such a different world with three instead of two, doing even the smallest everyday things. Get everyone ready, get in the car. Shoes? Check. Waters? Check. Henry's lunch/backpack/jacket? Check. I buckle them in (god bless the third row) and off we go. Then it's time to unload- I put Charlie in the Ergo, Lucy on one hand, Henry on the other, and we walk into school. This maneuver took practice, figuring out which order to get everyone out, which way was best. But now that I've got it, I feel like Super Mom for those few minutes after we all have a successful morning.

Our usually slightly loud house is now a very loud house. Who knew adding one more child into the mix would take it to a whole new level? But it's a happy loud, kids screaming and laughing and playing. Crying too, but when else in their lives are we going to be able to all live together, make meals together, spend every evening at home together?

I'm so grateful for this cousin time. This sister time, Auntie time, Uncle time. The kinds of days that might seem long when I'm in them, but certainly short in retrospect.

So as these days fly by I do my best to capture the bits and pieces, to preserve tiny parts of this stage in our life. Henry and Lucy on the couch, reading. Abe and Hank working out in the garage. Running errands with my sister. Making dinner for all of us.

It certainly takes a village, and I'm beyond grateful to have mine right here.


16 comments:

  1. This was incredibly sweet! Also, that last photo of them holding hands makes my heart melt!

    ♥ Naomi Starry Eyes + Coffee Cups

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Naomi! And yes, it melts my heart too! <3

      Delete
  2. LOVE this!! Cousin time is so important!! My sister moved from CA for the soul purpose of having our kids grow up together. My son and her oldest son are the very best of friends. I constantly say I have five kids (as opposed to my two) because we are all just that close. Such a wonderful beautiful thing!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jen! I love that your sister moved close by. That's exactly why we did this too- nothing's better than having family right here. Yay for you guys! <3

      Delete
  3. Instantly jealous. I never had cousins growing up. I only had two uncles and that was it. Teenie tiny baby family. I'm sure it was a bit chaotic but kid chaos is happy chaos. The photos you captured are wonderful :)

    www.ohheyblog.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Megan! Well all the more reason to have a ton of babies and make your family even bigger! ;)

      Delete
  4. gorgeous photos!!

    www.amoderngypsy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Rhiannon! And thanks for stopping by :)

      xo

      Delete
  5. It´s great to have cousins! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that photo of your niece running in the field. The background is absolutely stunning!!!! So beautiful.
    Sounds like a busy life you're living right now!!! Good job girl!

    Jess
    www.littlemapleleaf.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jessica! :) It's funny because the background looks so pretty but we had to avoid SO many pricklies. It was a danger zone for sure! haha.

      Delete
  7. This is such a sweet post Danielle! I grew up with A LOT of cousins and have so many fond memories of playing hide & seek and jumping on their trampolines and having running races. Henry will have all of those too!

    Lauren / And Together We

    ReplyDelete
  8. These pictures are so pretty, Dani!

    x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Stunning photos D!! What a special time. xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. My girls share an incredible bond with their cousins too. It is pretty special to watch. Your photos are stunning!
    http://palsywalsyblog.blogspot.ca/

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips