Thursday, October 2, 2014

Things That Kind of Stick: Warnings and Stories

I would have never expected to have a need for a bathroom stall photo...but here it is!
I also feel like this photo and title might alarm some people when seeing just a snippit of the post! haha. ;) (source)

Last night I went and watched The Gaslight Anthem play (so amazing, by the way), and afterward when I headed back to the bathroom and hung my handbag up on the stall's hook, I thought about something random. Do you have anything your parents or friends may have told you growing up, a story or maybe a warning, that's kind of stuck in your mind? One of those things for me would be to not to put my bag on the back of a bathroom stall door hook!

As the story goes, my sweet little Grandmother was in Las Vegas and hung her small handbag up on the stall door's hook before she sat down on the toilet. Apparently someone came in and used some sort of hooked tool to lift her bag right off the inside of the door from the outside, and ran! So of course when I started carrying my own purse my Mom cautioned me about hanging it up while using the bathroom. So there I was last night, wrapping my purse's strap around the hook four times so no one would steal it. I stopped for a second while doing so and had to laugh, thinking of how long that story has stuck with me.

Or other things I do- casually peeking under my car when I walk back up to it at night, aware that some crazy person could be lurking underneath, ready to slice my Achilles tendons. Gross and weird I know, but when I was younger a friend told me a (probably made up) story about that and it's been floating around in my mind every since.

So I ask you- do you do anything like this? Have any stories or warnings you've heard over the years influenced your behavior today? My sister and I sat here for awhile as I was typing this, sharing funny/weird/creepy things we've heard that have made an impression, and I can't wait to hear yours!

20 comments:

  1. Yes! To always check the back seat of the car when I get into it at night to make sure some serial killer isn't in the back!

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I was little, my best friends dad told me that evil spirits come into your house through your closet and bathrooms. I'm not religious or spiritual by any means, but at 29 I still make sure the closet and bathroom doors are shut. Always! It just irks me otherwise.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am right there with you about the Achilles tendon. I am always terrified.
    I challenge anyone to lift my bag with a hook.....

    ReplyDelete
  4. I totally know what you're talking about! This is pretty different, but when I was 13 or so my hippie mom told me that it's more pleasant when the first person you're physically intimate with is someone you actually care about rather than a casual or new acquaintance. I guess I really took that advice to heart, because I waited until I met my first serious boyfriend at 18 and we're still together 7 years later :)

    Cat
    http://oddlylovely.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always lock the car doors as soon as I get in. I've seen enough action movies to know not to allow anyone to jump in after me! I know it's not really rational, but it's so much of a habit now I don't even think about it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Locking my car doors when I get in, which I learnt the scary way. I was driving to my friends house a back way, and with nobody to see it a strange older man tried to get into my car when I was at a stop sign. I had to forgo the 3 second stop rule to drive off as fast as I could. And a second time at a red light a drunk younger got out of his friends car at the lights and tried to get into mine. Ever since those incidents I always lock my doors!

    Lauren / And Together We

    ReplyDelete
  7. That snakes will come up the toilet once they get into the drain pipes, so you ALWAYS leave the toilet lid fully closed just so they can't get out. I'm from Australia… this is the kind of thing that haunts you!!

    www.ohheyblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hahaha!! Is that so? I should be careful thanks

    ReplyDelete
  9. I rarely use public bathrooms because of stories that tend to develop around them! I also lock the car doors as soon as I get in them.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is to bad about the purse getting stolen. I have heard this warning but never actually heard of any stories where it happened. I always hang up my purse, without any hesitation. Maybe I will be a bit more cautious, especially if traveling. I definitely always look in my back seat, especially if it is dark.
    http://palsywalsyblog.blogspot.ca/

    ReplyDelete
  11. I always have to check behind shower curtains when I go in bathrooms in case someone is hiding in the shower. And it's not like I always think it might be some one trying to kill me... at parties I think someone might just be in there to take pictures of me or some perv is lurking watching people pee. WEIRD. I've heard that purse thing in the bathroom stalls before too! Now they put the hooks like in weird places instead or have the purse boxes in the stall

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yep always lock the doors as soon as I get in. Nothing has ever happened to warrant that but ya never know! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. The finger mirror check in bathrooms and changing rooms to see if its a two way or not!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love this post! I always do silly little things like look in my backseat before getting in my car.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Haha, I never knew about not hanging your bag on the toilet stall-another thing to worry about! I agree with the other ladies, checking the backseat of the car and behind the shower curtain. But I also have to have all the closet doors shut when I sleep, I guess it stems from being a child, afraid of the monsters...

    ReplyDelete
  16. OH my gosh! Danielle! You are too cute! My mom told me the exact same story except it was at an airport when a little old lady had her purse stolen. Now that I'm a mom I always think about the urban legend of the child getting kidnapped at a Disneyland bathroom :(

    Ahh! Sorry so negative! Thanks for this post! I love reading your blog :)

    Annie
    The Mama Gazette

    ReplyDelete
  17. ok, that story just cracks me up! The first thing I think of is my sister in law who always cut the end off of a roast before she cooked it. When asked why she said that her mom did it that way. Her mom said her mom did it that way. When they finally asked the grandma about it, she said she did that because her roasting pan was too small, and she couldn't fit the whole roast in the pan. Haha, after all of those years, totally made me laugh!

    Have a great weekend! aloha!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Yes I do check back seat of the car especially in the night.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I was taught that if you have to pee while you're out, don't. Everything is germ infested. Just wait until you get home! Also, while on a vacation, always bring an extra plastic baggy to put the hotel remote in. This way, no germs on you when you use it! Family of germaphobes.

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips