Tuesday, December 16, 2014

On Parenting.



Sometimes I feel like I'm doing it all wrong. Do you ever feel this way? I know as parents no one ever really knows what they're doing, but sometimes I lay awake at night and worry and over think and wonder if I'm doing an okay job. And then other times I think to myself "I've got this! I'm doing it!" and feel like maybe I've cracked some sort of Mommy code. Rarely, but it happens. Parenting is crazy, right? But like I've said before, just as Henry is learning to be a four-year-old, I am learning to be a mama of a four-year-old. We're both learning. And the funny thing about Henry and me, is that we will always, always be the trailblazers of our family. Everything will always be new to us, but especially to me, as I navigate every obstacle, age, and milestone with him, for the very first time. This is both the blessing and the curse of a first child. You experience these things together but with those initial hurdles there are lessons (so many lessons!) and you learn by trial and error as you move through your days, weeks, months, years.

It is a truly fascinating thing, parenting yourself. Henry is me and everyday I feel in awe that I created this little person who has inherited so many of my qualities. And sometimes it hurts so badly so see him hurt in the ways I remember hurting as a child, having such an open heart, wearing emotions on his sleeve, feeling things so very deeply. I worry at times about the things I see in him, that are in me- a quick temper, so many emotions, always thinking, thinking, thinking. But at the same time I look at these things and they have been such a gift for me, in so many amazing ways. But that's what parenting is all about right? We see ourselves in the children we raise, we have a chance to do better, be better, and in the best case, we do that.

It's funny to feel as if I've been a parent all of my life. I look back to "before," and it feels like a past life, a time before this that maybe existed in a different world. These four years feel like a million, but in the same breath I will tell you its gone by in an instant. The struggles of raising small humans to be grown up humans is universal. We all have hard days, we all have wonderful days. And those wonderful days, oh, they are magic! They're what keep me going, the days when we end it snuggled up reading in bed, talking about the happiest and best parts of the past 24 hours. Or with a baby cheek resting on my shoulder, little sighs in the dark, our tiny bubble of us, where everything is perfect and wonderful and right in the world. You have to have the hard days to get to the magic, you know? So we keep going, we keep learning. We stumble, we get back up. We adjust our sails, we continue on. And here they are, these little people, my biggest teachers, reminding me everyday that we are all here for the first time, figuring it out. And that if we just do all things with love, everything will most likely be a-okay.

xoxo

10 comments:

  1. Beautifully said! I love that you said "you have to have the hard days to get to the magic". When you see the magic it makes all the hard melt away and is so worth it though. Great post, thanks for sharing. Nice to know I am not alone with my thoughts.
    http://palsywalsyblog.blogspot.ca/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Angela! You are definitely not alone...we're this together, for sure! ;)

      xo
      Dani

      Delete
  2. I don't have children yet, and my plan is to not have them anytime soon. However, the thought scares the complete crap out of me. My mom left when I was younger and my dad raised me and my little sister basically by himself. I will never understand how he managed it, and reading this makes me even that much more grateful. Thank you for sharing. I'm sure you're doing a wonderful job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Michele...and I'm sure you'll do a wonderful job too, when you decide to have kids! Lots of love...and thank you for taking the time to comment! :)

      Delete
  3. My oldest will be 20 years old in three days....and I can tell you: you never stop learning. I'm trying to figure out how to be the parent of an adult child ~ and that's so much harder than I ever thought it would be! My little ones have the advantage having a "seasoned" mom, but my oldest and I are still figuring out how this all works. Like you said, there are days when I feel like I am the best ever ~ and days when I question everything I've ever done. I think that's normal....at least, I hope it is. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 20! Wow...it's so so hard for me to picture my boys getting to be that big but I know it will be here before I know it! ;( Thank you so much for your words of wisdom- and I do think it's normal too! ;)

      xoxo
      Dani

      Delete
  4. Wait until they start school. Its been an experience to say the least. You can only do your best. Xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh god I can only imagine! Thanks for reading, Stacy! <3

      Delete
  5. I'm a new stepmommy to a three year old and pregnant with my first. I don't know much yet, but I already feel a tinge of the things mentioned. Or maybe fear over them, especially seeing qualities of myself. I think about that a lot.

    Christen | http://christenlouise.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Christen!

      Last week someone commented and said that the best parents are the most self aware ones, those that can look at the situation and see it from all sides. With that said, I'm sure you're doing a great job! I think just the fact that we're thinking about how we can do better is a plus. :)

      Love,
      Dani

      Delete

 
Blogging tips