Wednesday, January 7, 2015

This Home Of Ours


I've been writing this post in my head for a few weeks, thinking about the past year and the things I've learned. There's so much to say- there always is! But I think 2014 been one of the most interesting years I've had in awhile, because lots of what I thought to be true shifted in one way or another. That's a good thing, I think. If we're not growing and changing we're pretty much stuck in the same place, right? And I hope I'm always changing and adapting to what's around me- growing from mistakes, moving forward from where I am, and constantly looking at myself and asking "how can I be better?"

It's interesting sharing things here for so long- really, you've all grown up and changed right along with me over the past eight years (thank you). I started Sometimes Sweet in my early twenties and now I'm in my early thirties. That's a LONG time and a huge span of some very transformative years. If you've been reading since the beginning you know a lot about me from these bits and pieces I share; you might have started reading when I was a newlywed, still a teacher, just beginning to fill up these pages with little stories from our life. Maybe you came aboard when I was pregnant for the first time, post after post chronicling that first baby bump, my mind always going going going, all worries and wonder and excitement. You might have come and gone, as I changed and you changed. The years have flown, haven't they? And now here we are, almost eight years later, an entire blog filled up with this story of my life. I post less, I know that. Last month I posted only eight times. That's the season of our life right now, though. Sometimes blogging.

Blogging is changing; it has changed, both for me and for everyone else too. With the insta-world right there, it's easier to put thoughts there, to fill up those little squares with all of the things I would normally share here. And as life gets busier, I find that blogging slips down on my ladder of priorities. It's okay though, although it does make me sad at times- when I don't blog for awhile a little tiny part of my world feels a bit empty. I promised myself last year though, only the good stuff. If I don't have something I really want to share, don't fill up pages to fill it; quality over quantity whenever and wherever I can. I started this blog or fun, and although over the years it's changed and evolved into other things, the reason for this space is still the same- because I love to write (need to write!) and this place is my online home.

So that's where I am. Home. Times are changing, the world seems to be moving faster and faster, but as that happens all I want to do is go slower and slower. To take time and sit and write. To call a friend instead of text. To go on long walks with Hank and the boys. To tell you some stories I haven't told you before over a cup of tea, you on that side of the screen, me on mine. Enjoy these days as they flutter on by, find beauty in the simplest of things. Slow. Intentional.

As I was writing this I got a sense of goodbye- did you feel that? I think sometimes when you're at the edge of something it can feel like that. Is this the beginning? Or the end? For me this it is the beginning, I know that. As I move forward I want to continue to be present here, maybe eight posts a month, maybe eighteen, but as life moves on and our story evolves, I want to turn the page and continue. So that's what I'll do. Turn the page, tell our story, write these words, continue to capture the little bits of our life in the best way I know how here in this online home of mine (ours).  And I hope you'll be here too.

Here's to 2015, and a lot more of this, and you, and me. I'm excited.


I can't help but use this photo for the 1000th time- I love it so much! Credit: Lauren Ristow

12 comments:

  1. Yay. I got so nervous reading this.... Butterflies in my stomach like "is she done?" So glad you are going to continue!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I started following you when I came across your Tattoo Tuesday posts. Other than those posts, the first thing I read about was how you met and fell in love with Hank. I can tell through your blog and Instagram posts that you both share a love that is so genuine and honest, and that you both love being parents to Henry and Charlie. I absolutely adore your little family, and I love your writing style and the stories that you share. I know blogging has slowed down for me too – but recently I started to blog more again. I miss writing and I definitely need writing to help cope with the stresses of daily life. But I also love jotting down memories and stories on my blog so I can go back months from now and re-read what I was up to. Thanks for being such an awesome inspiration and role model!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I started reading your blog when you were pregnant with Henry. I was also pregnant and never really followed a blog before. In the haze of reading through new mommy stuff I found your blog on circleofmoms - it was just what I needed. Now both of our babies are 4 and I have grown so much, two more kids have entered the picture and life is just crazy busy. I wanted to just say "hi" and thank you for sharing. There have been so many days that your words "hugged" me or helped me as a mom. Thank you again for sharing your life, it is more than brave in times we live in now and I appreciate it more than you know.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just... lovely. I don't have a proper, thought out comment but I *have* been reading since your teaching days and it's quite something to think about how much of your life I've followed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your writing and photos are amazing, which coupled together are definitely hard to find on blogs sometimes. I've newly discovered yours and am happy to be a follower. Can't wait to read more throughout this year. -Chelsea play. wash. rinse. repeat.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't have kids so our lives are different in many ways, but I've loved reading your gorgeous writing over the past few years. Keep it coming as long as you feel inspired! <3

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sweet post, I started reading during your first pregnancy and it's still so cool to see you and your family grow. Happy new year xo

    ReplyDelete
  8. I started reading right after you had Henry. It's been so great to be invited along on this journey that is your life, watching your family grow...and I've always enjoyed how you've kept it so authentic and true to you. Looking forward to watching the blog evolve as you do. Xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great post. I started reading in 2009. I am glad you are still going to write. You are one of the best.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Danielle, I started reading your blog in 2010 and am reading ever since.
    You seem to be so loving, genuine and honest and I just adore the way you write and how you're able to cummunicate the things you think about in such a special way without being judgemental but in a very true and openminded way. I just enjoy your writing so much. And apart from that I also think you have the most adorable family and I enjoy reading about your adventures, too.
    I'm not quite sure if I'm able to express what I mean without seeming creepy. But for me you really stand out from a lot of other blogs and I have the feeling that I get to know you from your posts. Which is something that I don't have with other bloggers.
    Although we'll probably never get to know each other personally, I have the feeling you're like an online friend and I'm happy to know that I can come here and read your stories.
    Lots of love from Germany, Marie

    ReplyDelete
  11. I was just thinking to myself, as someone who checks in here probably every day, that you hadn't posted since before Christmas and were probably really enjoying your holiday :) I just wanted to say that I appreciate your perspective and point of view ... I always come here to remind myself that, even though I don't personally know you, I can relate to you and appreciate your views. I don't really have that here. Most everyone I know (and most blogs, in fact) are similarly linked by church and religious views and it makes it hard to connect. I was raised in the church and my husband and I even met through youth group activities, but in just the last few years especially we have completely changed our ideals and beliefs and feel comfortable with not knowing or having all the answers ... but it's not the same really for pretty much everyone else we know. So ... thanks. I love the openness here. The positivity without the undertone of judgment. This is a happy place and I always look forward to reading :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. As a fellow mama cursed (blessed?) with hypergraphia, I know exactly how it feels to want to capture bits and pieces of our unfolding story. I also know that blogging can sometimes feel overwhelming, especially given the rapidly shifting online culture surrounding blogs and bloggers, but I believe that there is genuine truth and wisdom to be found amongst the many voices on the web. This is precisely why I still search in earnest for others committed to sharing honestly, and I find it rather serendipitous that I should stumble upon your blog for the very first time today, on a day when you're rededicating yourself to the simple thesis of preserving precious moments.

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips