Thursday, February 12, 2015

5 Reads for February


Happy February! We're about two weeks in, but I wanted to share some of the books I've either read or had my eye on this month. My "to-read" list is growing longer, but I am going to Chicago on a work trip next week so I'm looking forward to working my way through a few reads while in transit and during down time. So here are my picks- happy reading!


1. The Girl on the Train

So I usually try to stay away from crime/mystery novels because my active imagination does me no favors when I'm home alone at night. I get spooked pretty easily, and if I read scary things everything starts to freak me out! However, the synopsis of this book really drew me up, and I actually had to stop reading it so I didn't get any spoilers. This book looks to be a good one though, with 1,500 almost all positive reviews! So let's just agree to not read anymore about the book and just start it, shall we? I sent the sample to my Kindle last week and I think I'm most excited to begin this one.


2. Torch

I just love Cheryl Strayed so picking up another book by her is a no-brainer. I really, really enjoy her writing style and I'm looking forward to starting this one! Here's a little blurb from Amazon, and like always I don't want to read too much about it before I begin. "In her debut novel, Torch, bestselling author Cheryl Strayed weaves a searing and luminous tale of a family's grief after unexpected loss. 'Work hard. Do good. Be incredible!' is the advice Teresa Rae Wood shares with the listeners of her local radio show, Modern Pioneers, and the advice she strives to live by every day."

3. The Handmaid's Tale

This is one of my VERY favorite books in the world. I've probably read it 10x, and I thought it would be a good one to recommend (for maybe the 5th time). If you like dystopian fiction (I cringe to compare it to The Hunger Games, but it's in a similar vein) you will love this book. In one line, it's about government as we know it falling apart and becoming something entirely different. The book is scary in its "what ifs" and possibilities, and I think it's a must-read for anyone.

4. Still Alice

Have you seen this movie? I saw the preview and was immediately interested. Then I found out it was a novel first and as usual, I wanted to read it before I saw it. This book looks great. Very heavy and sad (Alzheimer's scares me so much), but also very full of emotional and beauty as it tells the story of a cognitive psychology professor at Harvard who has early onset Alzheimer's. I'm thinking tissues will be necessary for this one.

5. The Four Agreements: A Practical Guide to Personal Freedom

I reread parts of this book the other night and it was such a nice refresher. I'm a total sucker for "self-help" type books like this (or maybe a better term is "work on yourself" books!), but this one is much more than that. Over the years I've found it to be very helpful, and revisiting this book from time to time is both motivating and inspiring. It includes four agreements, and goes into detail about each one: Be Impeccable With Your Words, Don't Take Anything Personally, Don't Make Assumptions, and Always Do Your Best. Definitely worth a read if you're into this type of reading.

Enjoy! And before you go, what else is on your to-read or have-read list this month?

17 comments:

  1. Read Still Alice but haven't seen the movie yet but I could definitely imagine Julianne Moore doing a great job. Alzheimer's scares me too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right? She's amazing. I can't wait to start it. <3

      Delete
  2. I read Torch a couple of weeks ago and wasn't drawn to the characters as much as I hoped at first. By the end, I was enjoying it but it wasn't a page turner for me.

    I've read two in the last month by Australian author Liane Moriarty - What Alice Forgot and The Husband's Secret - talk about page turners! Sooo good!!

    Thanks for the recs. I look forward to checking some of them out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're the second person to mention that about Torch! I'm interested to see how I feel about it. I'll keep you posted. :)

      xoxo

      Delete
  3. I just finished Men We Reaped by Jesmyn Ward. It's beautifully written and utterly heartbreaking. I'd highly recommend it.

    Let me know if you want some food/things to do recommendations for Chicago! I apologize in advance for our frigid temps :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the rec Ryan! I will add it to my list. <3

      Delete
  4. These all look so good! I'm the same as you with my imagination getting the best of me after crime related entertainment! Haha!

    Pretty sure I need to go to the library to get these books ASAP!!! Thanks for the recommendations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're so welcome, Cami! Thank you for reading. :)

      Delete
  5. I read The Four Agreements at least once a year- I love it! Reminds me to stay grounded and focused on myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree. It is so incredibly inspiring!

      Have a great week. xoxo

      Delete
  6. I keep hearing about The Girl On The Train. Its on the list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, me too! I felt like it was a sign I needed to finally try it! :)

      Delete
  7. Thanks for the book suggestions, just The Four Agreements - just got it on my kindle now. I think it is exactly what I need to read. Cheers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Clarie I hope you LOVE it! Please let me know what you think.

      Have a beautiful week. xoxo

      Delete
  8. We should start a movement to rename that genre "work on yourself" books, it's 100x better description for the actual purpose they have in people's lives.

    Still Alice and The Handmaids Tale are great books - you've inspired me to reread them

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips