Friday, February 27, 2015

Cooking at Home with Blue Apron


Have you guys heard of Blue Apron? I've seen in on a few friends' blogs, and recently one of my girlfriends tried the service and fell in love with it. I'd been intrigued for awhile, but wasn't exactly sure how it would work with the with our family, our preferences, and our lifestyle. So when Blue Apron contacted me about a partnership I think my email response time was about 10 seconds. I was so excited! I had high expectations, and when that big box showed up on our front porch a week later, it was like Christmas.

We opened the box to find two meals worth of ingredients, individually packaged and ready to go. The boys and I had been out and about all day and the box had been sitting there for a few hours, but everything inside was still perfectly cold thanks to the refrigerated box. It looked VERY easy and I think one of the neatest parts about the whole process is getting to try meals and items you might not normally make. I for one had never tried "Chicken Schnitzel," or had ever even considered making it...but there we were, whipping up a batch of it right there in our kitchen.

The directions were very clear and it was fun having everything all ready to go. Hank could do one thing while I did another, and it was convenient having the sheet to look off of (with photos!) when we needed guidance, rather than our phone when we are grabbing a recipe off a website. We cook often in our home, but sometimes we get stuck in a rut and this is PERFECT for keeping things fresh.

A few things to note:

We tried two meals (this plus a spaghetti and meatball dish- both delicious), and each meal fed our whole family of four, even though it said it was for two people. See the pricing info here, but divided by people in our family, on the 2-person, 3-meal a week plan...it's just $9.99 per person, per meal. We are only able to really cook three good meals during the work week anyway due to schedules, so moving forward that plan is a great option for us. The family plan is a also a great one for those with older kids, or bigger appetites, although I have to say that the portion sizes were generous and satisfying.

You can cancel the service, skip a week, and tailor the service to fit your lifestyle. This is a major plus for me, as some weeks were are traveling and wouldn't be home to make the food!

I enjoy that the ingredients are locally sourced when possible and perfectly portioned. And what I love most of all is that as hard as we try, when we make new recipes or big dinners I often feel like I'm wasting leftover ingredients. This takes care of that problem, and also allows you to have the freshest food on hand. Two thumbs up!

Blue Apron has a HUGE database of recipes. Like I mentioned above we also got to try the spaghetti and meatballs, and next on my must-make list are the Seared Tofu & Soba Noodles with Japanese Sweet Potatoes & Pea Tips (yes, they have a vegetarian option!) or the Tomato-Baked Cod with Bulgur, Lemon & Almond Tabbouleh. Yum!

Overall, I highly recommend Blue Apron. I know sponsored posts can be like "okay, I know you're suggesting this because you're paid to do so..." but I promise you, you will LOVE this. It's not just convenient but it's FUN and I sincerely hope you all give it a whirl.

To help make it easier, Blue Apron is offering the first 50 Sometimes Sweet readers two meals off their order, free! Redeem the offer here (then click the orange box up top) and be sure to keep me posted on how much you love it. And if you sign up, let me know below!

Happy cooking...and better yet...eating. Below are some photos from our first experience with Blue Apron. Enjoy. xoxo


*this post is in partnership with Blue Apron, and as always, all opinions are my own.

5 comments:

  1. Love these sweet photos...and that meal looks delicious! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I see the appeal of these… But concerned about all the packaging. Our world needs less disposable stuff not more. Was there a lot of trash at the end?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anon!

      You know, my husband said the same thing. I didn't feel like there was a TON of trash but definitely more than if I would have shopped myself, because many of the smaller items wouldn't have been packaged at all. Good point for sure, and something to consider. Thank you for your comment.

      <3
      Dani

      Delete
  3. I have heard several people talk about blue apron, I guess it is time to try myself! Where to even start with choosing which meal I'll have first :)

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips