Monday, March 16, 2015

The List


I've had these lists forever- places I want to go, things I want to see- Pinterest boards full of beautiful spots around the world that I hope to go to, one day. And I came across this quote the other night-

The most dangerous risk of all- the risk of spending your life not doing what you want on the bet you can buy yourself the freedom to do it later.

Makes you think, right? And although our right now isn't totally conducive to just getting up and traveling around the world, one day I hope we are able to. This is a beautiful phase of our life, a season of raising babies, and I love being right here, right now. But just because it's a little more difficult to go to Japan, Australia, Africa...places that are all on our list, there are so many spots in the United States, and right here in our own state of Arizona, that we can enjoy now.

A couple years ago I promised myself I be more adventurous and DO rather than just dream. There's a time for dreaming of course, but like the quote up there brings to mind, I don't want to spend my days dreaming, and missing my chance to actually do the things I'm dreaming of. So we're doing it. It's been as small as making a list of local hikes we've yet to try, and taking every Sunday to explore them, one by one as a family. There's also been bigger things on the list that require more planning and saving on my end- asking my sister to watch the boys for half a day as I hike with a girlfriend, seeing if my Mom can cover Hank and I for an evening as we take some time to head somewhere new.

Tomorrow I leave for Antelope Canyon, followed by a visit to Zion National Park to hike Angels Landing, places that I've dreamed of seeing forever. I'm excited, I'm nervous (have you seen photos of Angels Landing?!), but most of all I'm proud of myself for evolving into someone who is more apt to get up and do the things I'm dreaming of rather than sit back and wish I was doing them.

So here's to adventure. And here's to those lists we have and living them, and seeing and doing and exploring. And really, what's better than that? Taking this one go 'round and living our dreams, whatever they may be, however they fit into this current season of our lives. Sometimes it's as simple as making plans to hike somewhere cool this next weekend right in your own state, or booking an excursion with friends to a far away place. But either way, it's a great feeling to make it happen.

9 comments:

  1. Careful on Angel's Landing! Just did it this past summer and only made it about 2/3 of the way along the scary ridge before I decided it wasn't worth it. A lot more fun to people watch from the big rocks at the top of Walter's Wiggles without actually being in harm's way :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have a fabulous time. It's a daunting task to arrange travelling with kids but so important to do for both you and them. I need to do some more travel on my own doorstep in Europe too :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Every journey, whether it be across your front door or across the globe, starts with movement, not thought, right. Intention with inertia. Bravo to you for pushing, putting your desires into action. Enjoy your new adventures. xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  4. My husband's band was asked to play some shows in Australia this summer and I'm going to tag along. I'm already nervous about leaving my kids for little over a week but I figure this is an opportunity I can't pass up. Besides, they'll be eating ice cream at their grandparents' house every night so I doubt they'll miss us too much :)

    Have fun in your travels!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's so easy to think you have to stop traveling after you have kids. I have three boys under four and I still want to travel! I hope you have a great time on your adventures!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this! I have been dreaming for 30 years. I have always been envious of doers. But I've recently decided to stop sitting around dreaming and do!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You go girl! Can't wait to see pictures!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is what I have been planning to do. I want to go to different places and try different stuffs too. This explains that eventhough we have kids we can still travel and experience great adventures.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My husband had to work most of last summer in Rota, Spain, and I traveled by myself from our home in Maryland with our (then) 20-month old son to go spend a few weeks together. The experience was amazing, and I've had such an enormous case of wanderlust ever since. And seeing that I could survive three flights and two buses with a toddler on my own, in another country where I barely spoke the language, was beyond empowering. It has not only made me want to travel, but made me want to travel as a family and give our kids experiences around the world.

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips