Tuesday, May 19, 2015

Packing...for a Month Long Trip


Today I spent some time making a list of all the things we'll need on our East Coast trip. We leave this weekend (I'm so excited!), so I'm trying to get everything organized in the next couple of days to alleviate any last minute stress. We'll be staying in different hotels and B&Bs, with stops at my Aunt's and Uncle's in the middle (Vermont and New York) so thankfully we'll be able to do laundry at least once. Lately I've become a big time overpacker, so I'm looking forward to packing simply and intentionally, rather than bringing anything and everything I could possibly want or need.

Hank, Henry and I have done a month+ long trip a few times before Charlie was born, but this time it's everyone and it feels like 100x more stuff due to the diapers, wipes, stroller, two carseats, an Ergo, and a portable crib. We've traveled a lot with the boys but never for this long with BOTH...so I thought I would ask if anyone has any tried and true travel tips for extended vacations with little ones or even just on your own! It would be awesome to learn a new tip we can put into practice.

I'm all ears! And when we return I'll write a follow up post sharing what worked and what didn't.

xoxo

10 comments:

  1. You're a brave woman! Have a ton of fun!!

    xo Rachael / The Paraders

    ReplyDelete
  2. Where is this hat from? I need a big summer hat!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love audiobooks for road trips - Frog & Toad, Magic Treehouse and Little House in the Big Woods! We also totally recommend all the "They Might Be Giants" albums for kids, they are fantastic! I pack one diaper bag of entertainment (sticker books, aquadoodle, crayons, wikki sticks, silly putty, gel decals for windows) and one of diapers and wipes. I also like picking up kids magazines like Ranger Rick Jr and Nat Geo for Kids because they are lightweight and I can read a story from there at bedtime/naptime instead of hauling around a library. Don't be overwhelmed about trying to bring everything in the world - life on the road means adapting to new things plus there's always a Target somewhere. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those spacesaver bags, (the ones you roll or vaccum the air out of) are a huge help! I use them anytime we go to cold places and need bulky outerwear or whenever we are gone for a while! Have a great time!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like such a fun trip! Good luck packing, and have fun!!

    xo, Alice
    Miss Inconnue || Etsy Shop

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like an awesome trip! We are on a long trip now with 4 boys, but we drove and have stayed at houses so Im not much help. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Over the winter holidays we traveled to India and the US (we're currently living abroad) with our 6 month old. It was a 3 1/2 week trip. The best thing we did was ditch the diaper bag and use a backpack for our carry on. We used the ergo to carry the babe. And as we were visiting family, we only packed for 2 weeks and did laundry as we went. And I did most of the laundry right before we returned home, so unpacking when we got back was a breeze :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hope you have the most amazing time! I've only just come back from three weeks in China and in a 19 days I am jetting off for another two weeks but this time in Hong Kong! Travelling is amazing, albeit there is nothing better than coming home again!!

    Bella xox

    Have a look at my lifestyle blog?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'll be awaiting your 'what worked & didn't' post - I'm taking a month trip to Europe in August with my will be then 2.5 year old and 6 month old and I'm at a loss as to what we should pack....!! Good luck - I hope you have a wonderful trip!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. We did a few weeks in Spain last year while my husband was working there. Just one kid, but it really helped my sanity to pack a couple collapsable bins for toys. The kind that fit in those little cube bookshelves? They take up pretty much no space in the suitcase, but are an easy way to keep toys and stuff corralled in the hotel or wherever. My mind feels better when I go to sleep at night and things aren't all over the place, and this made that easier.

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips