Monday, July 27, 2015

5 Reads for August


So, what have you been reading over the past month or so? I have a huge list of books to tackle, and I've been happily chugging along. I've had a little extra time on some flights recently, so I've been able to work my way through some extra pages and it's been great. I wanted to share my current reading/to-read list with you guys, and let me know what you've been loving too. I missed a few "5 Reads" over the past couple of months so let's get a head start on August:

1. The Girl on the Train. I just finished this last week and I really enjoyed it. I was a bit apprehensive to actually pick it up because I felt like the hype level was out of control, but it actually lived up to my expectations. It's not one of my all-time favorite books, but it's definitely a great read and completely engaging, which is perfect for a beach-summer-travel book. One thing is that I really got a "The Yellow Wallpaper" feel in the beginning? Anyone else?

2. The Goldfinch. My friend Kelly suggested I try this one and I just started it last night, and I'm enjoying it. Another one I've seen all over the place but just didn't pick up for one reason or another. So far so good though- I'll keep you posted.

3. Blackout: Remembering the Things I Drank to Forget. This popped up in my Amazon recs and I was drawn to it for some reason. I downloaded the sample but haven't cracked it open yet. It looks great though, doesn't it?

4. The Lost Girls: Three Friends. Four Continents. One Unconventional Detour Around the World. Okay so this one looks a little too cheesy for me after reading the summary, but I was still drawn to it, and it might end up being a fun summer read. Another on my to-read list.

5. Paper Towns. I finished this up a couple weeks back and I definitely liked it. I love John Green, but for some reason it took me a few tries to really get into this one. Have you read it? I also just saw its been made into a movie, so I'm curious to check that out as well. Keep in mind this in a young adult book, but I do feel like anyone would enjoy it. Green is the best storyteller, and this one is no exception.

Enjoy, and happy reading!

13 comments:

  1. I want to read Girl on the Train. It sounds like it will be good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the suggestions! I have been wanting to start reading again but I always get nervous to start a book..I need a really good read! :) so I'm always looking for suggestions! So thanks. :)
    www.sweetlytattered.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing!! I'm a huge John Green fan too - love his style of writing, and they are the kind of books I pick up and don't want to put down!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I feel the same way about Girl on a Train; I have it but haven't started reading it. I'm pleased to hear it might be worth reading

    ReplyDelete
  5. I read Gone Girl before it became big (let alone HUGE) and thought it was decent – not phenomenal, but not bad either. The Girl on the Train, though? I can't get past the first two paragraphs.

    Here are a few books that I've read recently :) If you haven't read The Blessings, you should check it out. For some reason – perhaps because of all the family-ness – I think you'd really enjoy this one: http://www.kelseyespecially.com/2015/07/read-these-books-july-2015/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Paper Towns is by far my favorite John Green book! I'm rereading it (for the 4th time) right now, actually. I've had the movie's release date on my calendar for months, and I have high hopes for it. Planning to see it this week!

    I've recommended it to several people, and no one has like it so far... They cite the exact reasons for not liking it that John Green refutes flawlessly on his Tumblr. I love the discussion that surrounds the "Manic Pixie Dream Girl" archetype, and he destroys it here. http://fishingboatproceeds.tumblr.com/post/57820644828/hey-john-i-was-just-wondering-what-your

    ReplyDelete
  7. Paper Towns was the first one of John Green that I ever read, several years ago, the prologue--who could resist that? But I will agree that it tends to get sluggish in some spots.
    I will recommend his debut novel: Looking For Alaska. It had me on the edge of my seat the whole time. And it was just recently announced that it's being made into a movie, too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've missed these posts! I didn't love The Girl on the Train as much as everyone else seems to have, but still found it fairly enjoyable. The Goldfinch is on my to-read list as well (but: long!) and I loved Paper Towns - the themes behind the story especially have stuck with me.

    For my own reading, I just finished up a re-read of Life After Life by Kate Atkinson (one of my absolute favorites - it's brilliant) and am now reading the companion novel published this past spring, A God in Ruins (great so far). Also, I read this one last year but just read an interview with her so was reminded how much I loved it - Everything I Never Told You by Celeste Ng. It's a moving story with lovely writing - I think you'd enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Paper Towns is probably my least favorite of Green's work. Looking for Alaska is my favorite novel by him (and maybe of all time). I didn't hate Paper Towns...I just could never get into it and I thought it fell flat compared to some of his other works.

    ReplyDelete
  10. it took me awhile to get into paper towns too - but by the time i reached the half way point, i ate it up!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You have the best eyelash profile in the blog biz ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Paper Towns! That's not one of my favorite books by him because I couldn't really fall in love with Margo 100% but the movie really helped me understand her better. My favorite book by him is of course Looking For Alaska... one of my favorite books ever ever ever. It came out 10 years ago when I was 18 ( I think) and has always meant so much to me. It's like Paper Towns where nothing really happens, it's just a coming of age story. Also, Girl On The Train is on my Kindle waiting for me to read!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've read the first four and they're all good (I just saw your blog on the awards page; I'm an English teacher and I've done Half Dome twice, so I figured I have to give you a chance!).

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips