Wednesday, July 29, 2015

A Big, Fat Update


Hey. Good morning! How are you? I'm sitting here typing while both boys nap. Henry never ever naps anymore but he woke up at 5am this morning (not fun for anyone involved, besides him I think), so as Charlie was going down for his morning rest Henry decided he would just lay in bed to "give his eyes a break." ;) Napping? For that big kid? Never! So he says. Two minutes later he was out and now I'm relishing in this surprise little pocket of quiet. And although my book is calling my name, and emails were calling my name, this little blog was calling my name a bit louder, so here we are!

Things have been so busy. Lots of things beginning- lots of really awesome things. One thing I can't talk about yet (annoying, I know, but then fun later when I can say "Hey! Remember when I said...."), and then a few other fun happenings around these parts. Henry begins his first official year of Pre-K next week, which makes me really excited. It makes me incredibly happy that I get another year of him being home with me most of the time. He's a November birthday and could have started Kindergarten, but we didn't want to push him through early so in Pre-K he stays. He was in Preschool last year until they moved him into Pre-K early, so he'll just be doing a second year in the same place. Then next year the big kid moves onto "real" school.

And you know what I was thinking about last night? About how sad it is that I basically have about five years total with each of the boys here at home with me before they're out in the world, going to school five days a week. And I remember when Henry was born,  I thought about this- and I maybe even blogged about it- about how this time at home was starting, and then all of a sudden here we are at the tail end of that. But Charlie, oh we have a good, big chunk of that home time still happening. And it's not as if when school starts poof! it's over, but I just think about these long days together, where we can wake up and say "What do we want to do today?" and then do it. Things change once little ones go to school everyday. And its not necessarily a bad different, but just something that takes some getting used to- which thankfully I don't have to do YET.

So that's been the big thing on the horizon- school starting again. And then we also have Charlie turning two in a couple of weeks, Henry starting soccer, and one more big burst of traveling for us before we slow down a little into October. Some other things coming up-

1. Half Dome/Yosemite. Some of my girlfriends and I will be hiking and camping in Yosemite for a long weekend coming up next month. I've never been, and I can't wait to really experience somewhere that's been on my "must-go" list forever. I'm really sad Hank couldn't take off work and join us, but it'll be a good excuse to go back soon. This is my first long backpacking trip though, and I'm looking forward to doing something totally new and different, and where I seriously have no idea what the hell I'm doing.

2. Michael Franti and Spearhead next Friday in Flagstaff! Alana and I are headed up to the Pepsi Amphitheater (I've never seen a show there- I'm excited!) to soak up all of his amazingness. Have you ever listened to his music? It's super super positive, and the boys and I listen to him daily while driving around. It just puts us in the best mood! The weather has been perfect up in Flag, so I'm looking forward to a night out under the stars with friends, enjoying some beautiful music. If you're in Arizona, come join us!

3. THREE of my closest friends are pregnant and all three are having girls! What are the chances? I feel like last time there was a big group of friends pregnant it was the same thing- except everyone had boys. Don't you feel like that happens so often? In my group of friends at least, it seems to come in waves.

And since we're on a random, let's talk about whatever comes to mind kick here, I was thinking about blogs lately, and about how I so rarely read actual posts anymore. So then I started thinking about the blogs I love that still post a lot of words and stories and writing, and how much I enjoy whenever I see a big, fat update waiting for me in my reader. I mean, I love pretty photos as much as the next person but words! They're my fave. Do you have any blogs you love that really write? I would love to discover some new ones.

One last thing too- I recently got eyelash extensions and I feel like I may be ruined for life. My sister's longtime friend Bre does them and once Lauren got them and I saw them in action, I had to try them too. I can't even tell you how convenient they are. They were a little weird to get used to at first, but after a couple weeks they feel totally normal and natural and I can't imagine not having them. Have you ever considered getting some? I feel like they seem high-maintenance but are actually super low-maintenance. I'm definitely a fan.

I'm signing off now- I have probably an hour left before the boys wake up and I need to log in some work time, but this was so fun. I love the fact that we can connect in this space, so many of you here for SO many years, right along with me. I love you guys.

Happy almost-Friday! (I hate the term Hump Day so much).

xoxo

32 comments:

  1. Lovely blog, I enjoy finding new ones to read. Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  2. If the weather cooperates, Pepsi Amphitheatre is a great place to see a show. If you have General Admission, I'd recommend getting there early and staking out a good spot for your blanket. There is a lot of pent up demand for Franti, since he hasn't been here in almost five years (translation: the show will be full of lots of crazy, dancing Flagstaff hippies!). I was about 7 months pregnant and saw him at the Orpheum the last time he came to Flag!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jacki, thanks for the heads up! I'm so excited to dance and have some fun. :)

      Delete
  3. Hey dani! Been following your blog for a long time and I love it! always love your thoughts on life and beauty. I started a blog recently that tends to be more text heavy as intend to write in an article style. I would love it if you checked it out www.sunshineinmotion.com I wrote a post not too long ago about conquering Angels landing my second time around. Happy Wednesday! ������

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kelly thank you so much for the kind words- I will totally check out your blog. Headed there now! :)

      xoxo

      Delete
  4. I'm with you on the wordy posts - I'll spend ages happily reading a post like this one but I don't even bother to skim the text that's been bunged in to explain a load of pretty pictures. I want to know the PERSON and, for me, that's done through words.

    As for all boys/all girls. Yes! I've been thinking this recently because the spate of girls my friends had all turn four next month and I've been spending a lot of time with them and loving this stage in their lives - they're friendly! they're chatty! they have opinions!

    On that note, when I was in the recovery ward after having Matilda, one of the nurses said she had been working on that ward for seven weeks and ONLY seen baby girls come through. Isn't that crazy?! She must have seen around a hundred baby girls and not a single boy.

    OH! And I secretly wanted Matilda to be a girl (we didn't know the sex until she was born) because my Grampa had fifteen great-grandsons already and I wanted to be the one to produce a great-granddaughter!

    And... there you go... you wanted words; I've just splurged them all out at you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sarah, best comment EVER! Love all the words. And isn't it crazy- a nurse here says she sees the same thing ALL the time. Weirdness!

      Love to you, thank you for reading and commenting! :)

      xoxo

      Delete
  5. Your so sweet, thanks for the shout out D!! Love your words!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is so strange when your child is at school full time. When Emma started full time foundation class, I was pregnant with her sister so I was already preoccupied, but Holly starting two years was strange. Our days went from long days together,vto half days, to none. No more morning coffee trips to town after dropping off her sister to school. No more swimming mornings together. No gardening mornings. I went straight back yo work so I wouldn't notice because it would feel very, very sad. And now, two years on, I miss it. I still my non school days Emma all these years on!

    It goes so fast.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does go so fast, and that time is so short! I hope you are having a good weekend, lady! Sending love your way. xoxo

      Delete
  7. I love when you update & write long posts! I love Michael Franti's positivity and bet you will leave his show feeling so inspired and in love with life! I was thinking about my dislike for humpday today as well! It's really off-putting. XO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nadia! That is so sweet! :) And I can't wait, I'll keep you posted. ;)

      <3

      Delete
  8. Same same same - I love words and getting lost in someone's story. Even if it is just "normal" life stuff. I always love reading http://www.coffeeandcrumbs.net/ which is a collaborative motherhood blog full of beautifully written stories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I love that blog too but haven't visited in so long! Thanks for the reminder! :)

      Delete
  9. I love posts like this! Reminds me of livejournal.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thoughts in response:
    Michael Franti shows are always the best. I saw him in DC after Obama was elected but before he was inaugurated and dancing around to his Barack Obama song was one of the most hopeful moments of my life. So chessey and so good.
    We just had a girl baby boom round these parts and it has been so fun. When I had my first, very unplanned at twenty, it seemed like I would never get those mom connection moments, but this past year has been full of them. It took ten years but it has been worth it.
    I miss blogs, you know the thoughtful ones with lots of words. I sort of started as they were beginning to die. I feel like I missed something sort of awesome. but finding moments to find words has been such a positive part of my life the past two years that I don;t even care that what I'm doing seems sort of passe.
    Enjoy these days with your boys, as I'm sure you are. Thanks for updating and sharing some words. I love getting to take a peek.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Rachel! Thanks for giving me a peek into YOUR life too! :) Loved all you had to say- and you've made me even more excited for the concert. I'm so cheesy so I know I'll enjoy it. haha!

      xoxo

      Delete
  11. It's hard to find good wordy posts nowadays, especially ones that you actually want to read because the writing is engaging or funny. I am still in the throws of growing my blog all the way over in South Africa, so I still read a lot of posts but finding ones that I really enjoy are becoming harder and harder. http://www.3kids2dogsand1oldhouse.co.za/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cindy! Thank you for stopping by. I will pop over to yours too! :)

      Delete
  12. LOVE hearing that other people out there love long posts. As a small time blogger, I always overthink my wordy posts, but hey. I'm a wordy writer. I just have a lot to say, I guess? I've tried cutting back on my words A LOT lately because I'm always worried that I'll spend forever writing about something that I'm really passionate about just for no one to read it at all or to not read it all the way through, and then feel sorry for myself over it.

    Anyway. It's nice to hear that people actually look forward to long posts. Here's one of my lengthier posts (if you're in the mood to read a long one (although it's not an update but a somewhat politcially-charged opinion piece): http://www.kelseyespecially.com/2015/01/thoughts-on-gays-mormonism-and-women-combat/

    And some update-y, personal ones:
    http://www.kelseyespecially.com/2014/07/ill-never-look-like-her/
    http://www.kelseyespecially.com/2015/06/kindergarten-transfer-appeal/
    http://www.kelseyespecially.com/2014/09/the-little-girl-that-couldve-never-been/
    http://www.kelseyespecially.com/2014/03/i-love-my-body-because/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Kelsey!

      Thanks for those links! I've bookmarked them and can't wait to dive it. Thanks :)

      xo

      Delete
  13. Exciting updates! And yes I absolutely feel like pregnancy happens in waves with my friends/family. Right now we have a stream of weddings, lots of summer brides this year. Also I agree with keeping the babe in Pre-K for another year. You can never have too much pre-k knowledge! :) Have a great weekend

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Chandler!

      Thanks for popping by! :) I hope you have a great rest of your weekend- and enjoy those summer weddings!

      xo

      Delete
  14. I'm loving the long posts! I love being able to really get to know a person and I feel there is so much you can sort of fake in a picture... I just started blogging not too long ago and I kept thinking my posts were too long and a bigger read but I kind of love that about the way I write. Also, I've had eyelash extensions and they're so killer! Literally saves you so much time and I feel like you don't need much makeup in general with them. Love following along with you girl, keep em coming! Ashley- Sunshine and Lullabies

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ashley! I'm so happy to see a comment here from you. I can't wait to check out your blog! :)

      xoxo

      Delete
  15. Love your post! I love Yosemite. My husband and I had our very first date there. His parents lived in Mariposa at the time. Have a great time! And enjoy these days with the little ones. My youngest turns 18 in September. It surely goes by fast!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What an amazing spot for a first date! Wow! And thanks for the kind words Deanna! Love to you! xoxo

      Delete
  16. Great post! I have been toying with the idea of getting eyelash extensions for some time and I think you may have talked me into it! I'm so afraid that it will make me look over the top and too heavy for my face but I would love the simplicity of not having to carry a compact all the time checking my face for bits of mascara that has escaped above and below my eyes!

    I have a group of friends that were all expecting at the same time as well - all 3 were boys. We are just now getting a group of baby girls!

    ReplyDelete
  17. My posts always tend to be on the wordier side. I can't help it! (Although my travel posts tend to be both wordy and photo heavy - I'm impressed that anyone ever makes it through them!) I was thinking about your blog the other day as I was considering starting back up with a journal day. I did them when you did a couple years ago (or a year ago? Time seems to be flying by lately!) and they're some of my favourite posts!

    Anyway, I like the wordier posts. Somehow I find myself skimming them less than when there are a lot of photos. I'd have thought it would be the opposite!

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips