Sunday, November 22, 2015

Five Years.

I can still remember holding Henry in those first days. Most of that time is hazy to me unless my memory is sparked by something else, but I remember that. I've never been a cuddler really, never someone who could ever fall asleep in someone's arms, or with someone in mine, but suddenly, that's what I was doing. All day and all night, I had this perfect tiny boy nestled up on my chest and it was the greatest happiness I'd ever experienced.

Five years. It flies by far too quickly- just like people say it will. And they're totally correct. When you're in it, it feels slow. Some days drag, right? But then all of a sudden he's turning one and you're laughing about how you're going to blink and he'll be five. And you blink. And're there.

I always say that there's a before and after. Not just just before I became a Mom and afterward, because that's obvious. But before I became everything I am now, and that is marked by Henry's birth. I have never thought of myself as only a mother when I became a mother- I've always tried to hold onto me, just as me, without the wife, mother, whatever I am at the moment title. But having a child changed all of the other things too. I am a different wife. A different daughter. A different friend. It's amazing really, to think about this one thing, that affects every other part of my life in the most complicated, beautiful, inspiring way.

What a gift to be Henry's mama. And today we celebrate our sweet boy turning the big FIVE. There's so much more to be said, but I'll leave it at this: happy birthday, Hen! xoxo


  1. Hi, just found your blog through bloglovin. What a beautiful post, I recently gave birth to my daughter, she is my first child. I am soaking up on all those little moments with her because they are precious. I know once babies start talking and getting older, they are a lot of fun. But I am in no rush for that! I love the way she is now, because just like you said, time goes by fast! Anyways, lovely post. You have a new follower :)

  2. I love this post, you're so right, becoming a mother changes you completely. That's exactly how I feel, I've grown up so much since having my first son. Happy birthday Henry, I've been reading your blog for a while and can't quite believe he is five either!

  3. I remember waiting for your to post announcing his arrival !! He's such a cutie.

  4. I've been following since you were pregnant with Henry and I'm amazed with how much time has flown by! He has grown into a such a cute and endearing boy from the sound of it! Hopefully I will still be continuing your blog journey in another five! xoxo

  5. This made me cry. It is all so true!

  6. I've been following your blog since before you even got pregnant with Henry. I cannot believe how quickly the years have flown by! :) He looks so grown up <3 xx


Blogging tips