Friday, December 18, 2015

5 Reads for December

With holiday travel coming up I wanted to share five book picks for you to check out on your journey home, or away! Enjoy.

Wildflower by Drew Barrymore

First of all you should know that I have loved Drew Barrymore forever, ever since I first saw her in E.T. a lifetime ago. I think she is just magic- I love the way she loves herself, I love her journey and how she got here, and I love her realness. So when I found out she was releasing a new book all about that journey...I was already sold before I knew anything about it! I started it last night and I'm hooked. It's an easy read, full of stories of her life told in whatever order Drew felt like telling them. It's not a memoir- it's more bits and glimpses into her world, packaged up in a little bow for us to enjoy.

The Dinner by Herman Koch

I stumbled upon this book when I was searching for a pick for our book club, and made a note to check it out. I downloaded the sample to my Kindle (I don't think I'll ever get over how much I love being able to do that!) and within a couple of pages I was hooked. It's a weird book- the whole story takes places around a dinner table, at a restaurant, and takes you through "something" the family is going through. I found it to be super engaging, and really interesting in the fact that I had no idea where we were going with the story, and I was really surprised to see where we ended up. Disturbing for sure, an absolute page turner, good writing...I would definitely give this a try!

She's Come Undone by Wally Lamb

I've read this book countless times, but the other week I picked it back up and dove back in. Have you ever read it? It's not exactly the most cheerful book but it's so engaging and one of those books you won't be able to put down. If you haven't read it, I don't want to spoil it for just order it without knowing a thing about it, and then let me know what you think. Worst, most non-informative book review ever? Maybe! But I promise if you read it, you'll like it. Also, it's interesting to note: a man wrote this, from the perspective of a woman, and I always forget that while I'm reading it.

Why Not Me? by Mindy Kaling

I have this waiting for me on my Kindle so I can't technically give you a review but I can say, "read this with me!" Have you read it? It looks so good, and something a little different from books I typically pick up.

The Martian by Andy Weir

One more I have waiting for me to dig into, and maybe the book I'm most excited about on my Kindle. I really love sci-fi, and this just looks so great. I think I'm going to start it this weekend and my hopes are high. I haven't seen the movie, so after I finish I'll have to rent it too. I'll keep you posted!

Happy reading! xoxo


  1. The Martian is so, so good! My husband and I both loved it.

  2. I'm a fan of Drew Barrymore too, I gotta check out that book. Thanks for sharing!

    xo, Alice | Miss Inconnue | Etsy

  3. The Martian is amazing! It's so science heavy and legit. And the character is such a badass astronaut.

  4. The Dinner sounds so good!! And Why Not Me? is on my Christmas list this year! I'm really excited to hopefully get it. Right now I'm reading Eat Pray Love - a little late in the game, but it's really great!!

  5. I love Wally Lamb! All of his books are amazing.

  6. Drew on the cover of that book. How is she doing that? How is she holding that pose in mid air looking so effortless? Okay, so I know that photoshop exists but I love this image anyway. :)

    She's Come Undone is one of the most powerful books I've ever read in my life. I'm giving my copy to my sister for Christmas this year.

  7. I read Mindy's book and I always love her humor. She cracks me up so much. However I think I liked her first book better. The Dinner was AMAZING and disturbing but I love stories like that. I'm glad to know Drew Barrymore's book is good. I work at our library and I actually put the scanning barcode on the front when we got it in and was going to put it on hold but forgot about it. I need to do that now! Always enjoy reading your book recs!


Blogging tips