Monday, December 28, 2015

All About Eyelash Extensions

I/you can't take this photo too seriously...it's very MySpace, I know. ;)

You may have noticed that I've had eyelash extensions for the past six months or so. My sister first took the plunge a couple months earlier and I loved the way they looked, and got curious. Our friend Bre does them, and as soon as I saw how good Lauren's looked I had to try it too. I was a little nervous- I'd heard horror stories about lashes falling out, infections, you name it, so I was very, very apprehensive. Some questions I had: would my lashes all fall out? Would my lashes stop growing as fast? Did I need to wear make up along with them? Could I go swimming in pools, lakes, etc? Would these extensions affect my lashes long-term?

So here's the run down, at least from my perspective:

I initially went to my friend Bre at The Pretty House to have them put on. She's down in Mesa though, so when summer ended and I wasn't down in the Valley as much, I had to find someone up here. I was sad to leave Bre but I luckily ended up getting a recommendation from my friend Sarah- she owns a hot yoga studio and her lashes STILL always look amazing despite the wear they get- so I knew whoever did hers was great. She sent me to Sabrina at Lynn's Nails in Prescott Valley and yes, she is absolutely amazing. So Bre, like Sabrina, charges a higher price for your first set. You get that first set put on, then go back every 2-3 weeks for fills. Prices vary, but here in Prescott Sabrina charges $85 for your first time, then $35 for fills. I also tip 20% on top of that each time. This pricing is the norm for up here, but I have seen pricing a little higher in the Phoenix area, and a LOT higher around the country.

This is how it works (remember, this is my experience, so this may vary wherever you go!). I arrive at Sabrina's with no eye cream or makeup on. This isn't necessarily a must-do, but I wear pretty heavy eye cream every night and morning, and when I first went to Bre I didn't remove it. The lash glue didn't hold and we're certain it was from my eye cream getting onto my lashes without us realizing. From then I always went totally bare faced and I never had that issue again. So anyway, I arrive at Sabrina's and hop right on the table. She then puts a pad with tape on my lower eye/eyelashes so she can isolate my upper lashes as she applies. Then she goes to town for 30 minutes! Sabrina is fast, and it takes her an hour for a first-time set, and thirty minutes for fills. You basically just lay there on the table and she glues a lash to each of your individual lashes. It's super quick, PAINLESS (this is a huge one- some of my friends have had experiences where it hurt- it should never hurt!) and many times I'll just fall asleep. When you're done the tape/pad is removed and you're good to go! When Bre was doing them she advised me to not get them wet for 24 hours- so if you have to wash your face you'd have to carefully wash around your eye area- but with Sabrina it's okay if you do get them wet. I'm not sure why there's a difference, but I'm thinking maybe they're different kinds of glue.

Most of my big concerns were about my real lashes- how would they be affected? I heard from friends who had had good experiences with extensions that even though once they're removed your lashes feel so much thinner thanks to the big contrast to having them on, they're usually actually thicker and healthier because with extensions on you're not messing with every single day. If you're anything like me you'd probably curl your lashes then put on some mascara each morning...but with extensions you don't touch them at all. I actually never wear ANY eye makeup, because with lashes I feel like I'm already good to go.

It did take me a couple of weeks to get used to them, but now they feel like second nature. They're a fun way to feel a little fancy everyday, even when you're just wearing sweats. For me it's really helped cut back on wearing makeup, because I already feel "done" thanks to the lashes. I LOVE them, and plan on keeping them for a long time. I've read that it's good to take a break here and there, so I'll probably take them off in February, and get them put back on in April. Some women have asked me if I'm able to wash my face as normal, and the answer is yes! I just don't wash my eyelashes of course, and then gently pat them dry from underneath with a towel. Like I mentioned above it did take me a bit to get used to them but once I did they felt very natural. I don't mind the every other week maintenance either- it's a nice little 30 minute break to lay there and do absolutely nothing!

The lashes fall out as your natural lashes fall out since they're individually glued to each lash, with some months showing more shedding more due to your natural lash cycle, but for the most part it's unnoticeable. My best friend Sarah has a BAD experience her first time and many of her lashes fell out, so she used Careprost to beef them back up as they grow in (they're already so thick!), and will probably try again. The key is to get recs from someone you trust, who has lashes you already love! Do your research- every technician does them differently. Sabrina does hers (as shown in the photo above) very thick and long, almost like having a strip of fake lashes on. They're dramatic, which I love, but many of my friends prefer a much more natural look, so just be sure to specify with your lash technician what you're looking for. Photos help! If you were paying attention you'd probably notice that my first set looked different then the lashes I have now, since I got them from two different technicians. And in town we have a few girls who do them, and each person's lashes look different depending on who they see! It's so interesting to me!

Anyway, have you ever had eyelash extensions? Would you get them? Or do think this is really wacky? If you have any questions let me know, and if I can't answer them I'll ask Bre or Sabrina to chime in with their expertise. And if you want to see Sabrina or Bre, email me for their contact info- they work from their cell phones! xoxo

23 comments:

  1. Your lashes look so good and definitely inspired me to try them!
    I was curious what you use to get your makeup off at night and if you have any tips for getting it all off without losing lashes. I wear liquid eyeliner and I feel like I've basically been sleeping in it because I'm too scared to get it all off!

    You look amazing!
    xx- Elsie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As an avid lash extension user and lash stylist myself, I recommend Neutrogena oil free makeup remover. Saturate a cotton swab in the liquid and remove eyemakeup. It is super gentle so you can carefully remove makeup. They make remover for eyelash extensiom wearers but really oil free remover will do the job.

      Delete
    2. As an avid lash extension user and lash stylist myself, I recommend Neutrogena oil free makeup remover. Saturate a cotton swab in the liquid and remove eyemakeup. It is super gentle so you can carefully remove makeup. They make remover for eyelash extensiom wearers but really oil free remover will do the job.

      Delete
  2. Ahhhhh! Your lashes always looks great too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I work as a hairstylist in Flagstaff which is a town that isnt particularly big for beauty up keep. And to be honest, neither am I. However, all of the girls working in my salon wear eyelash extensions and the look so lovely and natural. I was worried about all of the things you had mentioned. My eyes are already pretty big to begin with and had worried about looking like a drag queen (which sometimes is something to be envied). I am so happy that i made the choice to try them out. I Love love love not only skipping out on mascara and love even more avoiding the chore of mascara clean up! My girl (Ashley at Bliss at 619) also provides an eyelash brush, which is just a disposable mascara wand. This really helps with the longevity. I notice when i skip out on using it. If you get them done and are not provided one, you can get them at a Sallys or any beauty supply.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your lashes look amazing!! I have a friend that does them and she had been trying to get me to come in and get mine done. I was so nervous but she did another friends of ours and then my cousin got them done. So back in June when I had my 25th birthday I got extensions. I really liked them. I haven't had them sense but I'm also not against getting them again. I actually may get them come January 9th because we have a banquet to go to for my husband.

    -Ashlee Michelle
    www.makeupandmodifieds.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is probably pretty obvious but I thought I would ask anyways. Can you wear mascara?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wear mascara on my bottom lashes. My girl advised me,that if i absolutely must m jiat apply to the ends of the lashes. They are a tiny investment. The less stress you apply to them the longer they will last.

      Delete
    2. Thanks! I'm a mascara lover and I'm hesitant on whether I can make that switch or not.

      Delete
  6. I had them put on for a couple of monthsfor my wedding and absolutely loved them. I woke up feeling pretty each morning and rarely did my makeup because I simply did not have to. I took them off to give my eyelashes a break, but I'm ready for round two!!

    I would love the info (cost, location) for your girl friend in Mesa.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I had them put on for a couple of monthsfor my wedding and absolutely loved them. I woke up feeling pretty each morning and rarely did my makeup because I simply did not have to. I took them off to give my eyelashes a break, but I'm ready for round two!!

    I would love the info (cost, location) for your girl friend in Mesa.

    ReplyDelete
  8. How is the feel? Do you notice them there?

    ReplyDelete
  9. $35 fills!?!?! I pay $75 just for the fill, NOT including tip! Ugggggggggggg.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Extensions are fantastic! They really save you a lot of work from eye liners and mascara; they make a huge difference. Thanks for sharing your experience!

    xo, Alice || Miss Inconnue || Etsy

    ReplyDelete
  11. I totally got them done after seeing yours on Instagram a few times. I LOVE them! Initially I thought I would just get them done once to try it but now I go in monthly. It's a huge confidence booster!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the idea of lash extensions. I have never tried them but swore to myself that I would get them when I became pregnant/am ready to give birth. Such a simple way to minimize getting ready in the morning but still look and feel fabulous!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've actually had them before and would get them again for a special occasion. Like you, I felt a little done-up without any makeup at all! I definitely felt "thinner" after they fell out.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Has anyone had e periwnce with extensions when you have blonde lashes? I've always wanted to try, but I'm nervous I'll look spotted!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Has anyone had experience with extensions when you have blonde lashes? I've always wanted to try, but I'm nervous I'll look spotted!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Girl, the excitement I had for this post was beyond crazy. I might have squealed when I saw you mention it on IG. THAT EXCITED.

    I am really glad you wrote this because I have wanted extensions for so long now. When I went to visit Ashley in Atlanta I seriously could not stop admiring her lashes because they looked SO GOOD. I was obsessed. And I always love seeing your photos because yours do too. This was super helpful. I'm not sure if I could afford the fills that often because #broke20yearold but man, I want them so bad. I have very thin/short lashes as it is so this would make me so happy. I think my biggest problem is that I don't know anyone at all around here who has them so I wouldn't have a clue where to even go to get them done. Putting this on my goals list for 2016 though: Try out extensions. Thanks so much for writing this, Dani! I've been so curious!

    ReplyDelete
  17. You look like a living doll! So pretty, i'll have to try some.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm with Katie - how do lash extensions work for people with BLONDE lashes? I've wanted to try them, I LOVE wearing makeup, mascara (Benefits They're Real is the best!) and fake lashes don't bother me, except the getting the glue off after a few wears. The idea of lash extensions is very intriguing, but I'm afraid that I'd just have to keep putting mascara on, since I have the blonde lashes.... and blonde lash extensions would mean more mascara. Anyone have any advice/experience? TY!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Em had them, LOVED them and had to stop because she just couldn't carve out the time every few weeks. Is she sobbing through her booooring natural lashes? Yes. Does she want them more than ever and for the rest of her life? Yes. Will she get them forever once she is done having babies (Apparently you shouldn't have them when preggo or BF?) HELL YES. Yours look amazing...never stop blinking!

    Strive to thrive,
    TW

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips