Friday, January 15, 2016
So I wanted to share a little run down of some of my favorite items from this past year, before we got too deep into January. I feel like I discovered a lot of new things I really love, and I wanted to share them here with you! Some of them are silly things, like boots (but seriously life-changing boots, haha!) and some are concepts. Have you seen the Kylie Jenner 2016 video? 2015 was just about realizing stuff, you guys... ;)
1) So one of the biggest things I've REALLY fallen in love with is my new(ish) eye cream. I've always used Stri-Vectin and Oil of Olay as the base of my eye care, but as I've gotten older I've found the first to be drying, and the second to just be kind of "eh." I tried so many eye creams to replace both of these, and it took me a while but I finally have found the very best eye cream I've ever used. I just finished up my first pot of it, and I'm onto my second. I love that this isn't too greasy, but still provides a ton of moisture, it doesn't cause any sensitivities or breakouts for me (this is key!). It truly does work hard at the little lines trying to form around my 33 year old eyes and I am thrilled. Seriously try it, I bet you'll love it too!
2) The Sultra 1.5 inch curling wand is a game changer, people. I have used all sorts of curling irons and wands over the years, and this is by far the best I have ever tried. I get loose, soft waves that don't look like I put too much effort into them, and they look better each day. I wash my hair every 3 days or so, and I always think it looks way better on day 2 and 3 thanks to this wand. And if I'm going out or want a little extra pep in my hair I just add some more waves and go. It also heats up almost instantly, which is a plus when you have limited time to get ready. Highly recommend.
3) Bumble and Bumble hair powder. My hair actually doesn't get very greasy, but after I wash it it feels WAY too clean for me. So I add this in right after I blowdry it, and it gives my hair some extra texture that doesn't weight it down. I love this stuff! It also works well as a dry shampoo.
4) Sorel boots. I've talked about these are few times before but once I finally gave in and got a nice, warm pair...I was hooked. I used to wear my rainboots (!!) when it would snow, and would freeze. This year Hank got on board the Sorel train too and our feet our so happy. I can't recommend them enough. Major favorite of this year, especially with this crazy cold, snowy weather we have been getting.
5) Our 4Sleep bed. So I did a post with them last year. I disclosed this then of course, but they gave us a free mattress, and I blogged about it. I loved the bed immediately, which I shared, but now that many months have gone by I love it even more. I used the word "life-changing" when referring to the mattress yesterday on IG and as dramatic as it sounds, I mean it. Before 4Sleep I didn't really look forward to getting into bed. I loved sleeping (who doesn't?), but my sleep wasn't the best quality. In fact, our bed would hurt my back, keep me tossing and turning, and just overall not be that haven you would hope. I had kind of retired the idea of having some sort of mega-comfy nest to crawl into every night and figured that anyone who said that about their bed was exaggerating. But then we got the 4Sleep mattress and from night one it was a whole new ballgame. We've since gotten my parents, my father-in-law, and countless friends to get one too. If you're in the market for a mattress I cannot recommend 4Sleep enough.
6) Paige denim. Okay, so I need to mention that these are expensive, as far as a pair of pants go...but totally worth it, in my opinion. I used to buy cheap denim from Forever 21, and I would like them, but they'd fall apart after 5 wears. Paige denim lasts, and are totally worth the investment. The Verdugo skinnies are my favorite, but I also have a pair of their boyfriend denim and they're just so comfortable and have held up so well. If you're in the market for new jeans, check these out. Also, if you would like a much cheaper alternative, I also wear Articles of Society and really love every pair I've gotten.
7) Self love. Can this be a favorite of 2016? It's my favorite "thing," for sure. I really like myself, I enjoy what I'm doing, and I think I'm doing a good job. Maybe that sounds weird but I don't care. It's like getting happy after being unhappy for so long- it's hard not to be excited and proud about it...because it takes such hard work to get there. But this part of my life, being 33 going on 34, feeling very rich in my relationships with wonderful people, surrounded by love, it feels good. And you can bet I'm going to celebrate the hell out of that.
And some other, random things:
8) Ace and Jig. I've always loved this brand but hadn't taken the plunge, but this year I treated myself to some dresses and tops, and I'm so hooked. Beautiful fabric, great craftsmanship. I'm a forever fan.
9) Wine. It took me awhile to really enjoy wine, but I love it now. What I like tends to change with the seasons, and currently I'm on a Pinot Noir kick.
10) Laura Mercier face makeup. More on this in a later post.
11) Eyelash extensions, of course.
12) Running! I've always loved running but 2015 was the first year I completed a real race- the Seawheeze half marathon. I'm looking forward to doing it again this year.
13) Parchment paper. Okay, I told you this list was random! I started cooking my fish in this and it makes life so much easier!
14) Podcasts. Can you believe it took me so long to get into podcasts? Some of my favorites (and I'm always looking for more!): Serial, any Chalene Johnson, Happier, Good Life Project, Joe Rogan, the list goes on and on...
15) Ben Howard. Hands down my favorite and most listened-to musician of 2015. A new discovery for me this past year, and I've had him playing non stop.
Here's to 2016!