Monday, February 22, 2016

Our Trip to the Caribbean, Part Two

If you missed part one, head over here first! This is the second half of our Caribbean photos, and I wanted to share some of my favorite parts of the trip. Here goes:

Stand up paddle boarding. I LOVE SUP-ing, and try to do it whenever possible, but I hadn't ever done it in the ocean before. It was absolutely amazing to be able to grab a board and head out into the middle of the bluest water, all alone with no one around...and just sit. Really, really awesome and those solitary moments full of thinking and gratitude are some I won't soon forget. I also took Henry out a few times and it was really special to share it with him too.

St. John. We went over to St. John three times while in the islands and each time was totally different. The first visit (and the first time I'd ever been there) we walked around, ate delicious coconut and drank coconut water right out of the shell, and ate a great lunch at The Waterfront Bistro. The next night we were trying to figure out dinner plans and our lunch had been SO good that we took the ferry back over for dinner. And let me tell you, it was one of the best meals of my life! Truly. I can't recommend it enough if you find yourself in St. John. And the third time, we spent the day on one of the beaches and it was THE MOST BEAUTIFUL beach I'd ever been to. I want to cry just thinking about the white sand and the insanely blue water. It was so peaceful out there swimming in the coral reefs, and the boys had the best time. I can't wait to go back.

The resort. The whole experience at the Ritz was fantastic. It was just beyond and I hope my memory never fails me so I can revisit my favorite parts over and over again. They had SO many activities for the whole fam, so we were able to do a ton of things right there on their beach. Kayak (loved doing this with Hank and the boys), SUP, snorkel, swim, or just play in the sand. It was a great choice for a family vacation for sure.

Snorkeling with Charlie. I already talked about Henry's immediate love for snorkeling in the first post, but snorkeling with C was just too funny. Everyone was out too, so no one could sit on the boat with him, so we just took him with us. It was really cute and amusing to me- you can see a pic below of Hank pulling him along.

Seabands. Oh my gosh you guys, my life is changed! I have always, always gotten terribly seasick. I'm talking even just riding a 5 minute ferry, or anything involving the ocean. It's been a huge bummer and I've missed out on lots of fun things because I'm deathly afraid of a repeat of any of the times I decided to just go for it and deal. Seriously...remind me to tell you the Hawaii whale watching story sometime. My Mom also gets very seasick and recommended I try these bands. I was VERY skeptical, but my MIL planned a whole day out at sea and I knew I didn't want to miss I tried them. And guess what? They worked perfectly! I didn't have a touch of seasickness and I feel like a new person! They worked so well I even told Hank one of my (very new, I guess) dreams is to sail around the world. What! haha. Anyway, if you too get seasick try these babies out, I hope they work for you too.

The Lady Lynsey. So our day out at sea was on this beautiful boat (pictured below). We chartered it for the day, and it was such a fantastic experience. They took us to private beaches, out of the way snorkel spots, fed us delicious food...just really made the entire day so special. And I think it was extra special because I didn't get seasick! The Lady Lynsey will always hold a very dear place in my heart!

The boys. I could go on forever about all of the other favorite, happy parts of the trip, but I think the very best part of all was seeing how excited and happy the boys were. I love seeing them wild and free, running on the beach, jumping in the water...nothing makes me happier. I think one day when I look back at my life, my most cherished moments will be ones like that- Henry and Charlie with those big grins, laughing and screaming with happiness. This trip brought a ton of those moments and I'm so thankful. :)

A ton more photos below...all from my iPhone and GoPro. Enjoy!

And p.s., a few more sources:

Brixton hat
You can't see it too well in the photos, but I really loved wearing my Eberjey swimsuit. I typically just stick to them for loungewear but I picked up a bathing suit before and was pleasantly surprised!
Karen Walker sunglasses
Red dress
And I don't think I have any photos of it, but I fell in LOVE with my FP Pearl's tee for traveling.



  1. My husband and I went to St. John for our fifth anniversary and absolutely fell in love. We stayed in an awesome VRBO on the opposite side of the island from where the ferry comes in. We did lots of day trips, including one to the Soggy Dollar on Jost van Dyke in the British Virgin Islands. It was amazing. Packing question - how the hell did you get your hat there in one piece? We're going to Mexico in a few weeks and I'd like to bring a hat, but I don't want it to get all smooshed!

  2. Those SeaBands are amazing! I had the worst morning sickness (all day, all night) that was not helped by ANYTHING except for wearing those bands. Now I bring them on road trips and boats/ships every time!


Blogging tips