Wednesday, March 16, 2016

Memories...in Tangible Form



Every so often I have a mini-freak out that I'm not printing out enough photos, not taking the time to fill up photo albums like my parents did for us...that I'm not creating real, tangible ways to preserve our memories, outside of just amassing external hard drives full of pictures and video. It stresses me out regularly, which may seem silly, but I really love looking through my parents' photo albums and I wish I had been doing the same since day one. It can feel so overwhelming though- and when I think about going back and printing out so many events and special times, I want to crawl up in a ball and cry! But then once I come to my senses I remember there is no time like the present, right?

So when Blurb contacted me about partnering up to create a book, I was excited. I've been thinking that creating photo books of our travels was the way to go, but I always felt like the process would be either one, annoying and tedious, or two, the quality wouldn't come out how I wanted, essentially just wasting money. But with this partnership I had a great excuse to just bite the bullet and try it.

I knew I wanted to make something special for my mother-in-law's birthday to commemorate our family trip to St. Thomas- and what better way than to make a photo book? The process was very, very simple. I used their online upload tool and just uploaded the photos I had already edited and used in my blog post. All of the photos were from my iPhone too (a couple from my GoPro but that's it), which I think it important to note! I tweaked a few here and there- zooming in or out, added a title to the spine...and no joke, fifteen minutes later I was done. Yes!

I will ABSOLUTELY use Blurb again, outside of this post. The quality was just fantastic, as was the software. It was easy to use, a pleasure to create the book, and I would recommend the service to anyone!

Have you tried Blurb before? What did you think? Here are some photos from the book I made- thanks so much for reading!

xo



This post was shared in partnership with Blurb. Thanks for reading!

11 comments:

  1. I have been using Blurb for years. I started by transferring all of my old Livejournal posts into book form by year. So now I have these digital diaries that I can flip through rather than scroll through. There's something great about holding a memory rather than seeing it on a screen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Okay that is an AMAZING idea! I will have to do that! Thanks Ashley. :)

      xo

      Delete
  2. I used Blurb once for a book I made for my sister. Do you upload your photos to the sight using a certain format like jpeg? Are all your photos high quality to begin with? I once had 300 photos printed using Shutterfly but the photos came out TERRIBLE. I want to get so many photos printed in book form but I'm afraid of the Shutterfly disaster happening again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jasilyn!

      Yes, so you upload your jpegs straight in. All of these photos were taken with my iPhone actually...a couple with the GoPro, but overall ALL iPhone pics. You should give it a try! I was so happy with how this turned out.

      :)
      Dani

      Delete
  3. I "do" Project Life, so I "scrap" my family's life weekly (after four years, I've developed a system and it really doesn't take much time at all), so I'm a HUGE advocate for printing out and documenting memories. I've made two photo books with Blurb, and they were great...lightyears better than Artifact Uprising, in my opinion.

    If you ever go for printing just regular photos – from teeny wallets to huge oversized poster prints – go with Persnickety Prints. THEY ARE THE ABSOLUTE BEST. PP's prints are so true to color and come back via snail mail looking exactly like they do on your screen. I wish they offered more than just prints...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Kelsey!

      I have heard SO many good things about PL- I actually got the baby book stuff to do it a couple years ago but never got started. I need to! And thanks for the heads up on the print shop- I will check them out. :)

      xo
      Dani

      Delete
  4. I've printed a few books through Blurb and love them! We've done a book for both of our three month trips and I love being able to flip through them whenever I feel like it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm in school for illustration and design and have technically used Blurb twice. The first time was to print a book for a digital photography class. The second time, this past Wednesday, I used MagCloud (which I understand to be owned by Blurb) to print a book for a digital design class. Both books were designed outside of Blurb and uploaded as a PDF for them to print. My first book came out looking amazing and I can't wait to receive my second book in the mail!

    I've had a great experience with Blurb so far and will definitely continue to use them in the future for both art purposes and my personal documentation.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've been using Blurb exclusively for the last 5-7 years or so. I love them! I have all of my photos on Flickr, so I have the program downloaded, and I can easily import my photos from Flickr. It's SO nice and convenient. I do one book for the entire year, so I love that with the program on my computer, I can just work on it a little at a time and then it automatically saves it, and I can print it all out at the end of the year.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I haven't ever heard of Blurb. I've created photo books from a few other websites that offer this service. I feel the same way about the stress of preserving all of the memories and feeling like you're not printing enough photos to place in albums. I absolutely love the concept of the photo books and plan to do more. Will definitely have to check out Blurb!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I used Blurb to convert an old blog - text and images - into book form for posterity. In general, I was very pleased, though they did incorrectly crop out some of the photo edges -- beyond what their BookSmart software showed would happen. That was a bit frustrating, but next time I'd just be more careful about maintaining wider padding around the edges of important photos than I initially would have.

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips