Thursday, June 30, 2016

Home Again, Home Again

Hank and I just got home from being gone for 10 days. This was the longest we've ever been away from the boys and to be honest it was a little too long to be apart. The most we'd been separated has been about 5 days, and on day 7 in Switzerland I had a mini breakdown! It was hard. The trip was amazing but if you've been out that way you'd know just how kid-friendly it all is. There seemed to be a playground or kids' area each place we went, and it seemed like we said "I wish the boys were here!" every other moment. But the time with was amazing. To be able to just go, the two of us, and spend all of that special time in the most beautiful place in the world, that is something I will never ever forget. The hikes would have been way too strenuous for the boys anyway, so I'll keep reminding myself of that when I start to feel a little guilty as I go through the photos. ;)

I have SO much to share from our adventure. I think I'm going to break it into four posts beginning next week, which seems like a lot but I could do so many more. Each section of the trip, and also a big packing list of what we brought. I'm looking forward to getting it all down in one place.

Right now we are working on getting back to routine. The boys stayed with my parents, sister, and Lucy (they all live together) the whole time so it's been an adjustment being home both for them, and for us! Jet lag hasn't been horrible, but last night around 4pm it definitely hit me. We flew out of Zurich at 10am, arrived in Philadelphia after a 9-hour flight, then headed to Phoenix, and drove the two hours up to Prescott! It was a LONG day of travel, also considering there is a 9 hour time difference which switched up our days and nights. We got to bed around 1am, but then woke up at 6am. I didn't feel too terrible yesterday, but like I mentioned above it hit me in the evening and suddenly I couldn't keep my eyes open at all. We went to bed super early, and today I feel just fine. Yay!

We are gearing up for a BIG weekend. Tonight is the rodeo, tomorrow is the Kiddie Parade, Saturday is the 4th of July parade downtown, that night is the Rodeo Dance, and Monday is a big block party and fireworks downtown. It's my favorite weekend of the year. You can see SO many 4th of July posts here, if you're curious. Sadly I didn't blog the holiday last year- I only posted 9 times that July- but I'm looking forward to sharing this year. Prescott does it UP and it always makes me extra excited to call this special place home.

The weekend is beginning, and the boys and I will take time to remember our beloved Andrew and the other men who lost their lives three years ago today. This holiday will always be tinged with sadness and grief- I can still vividly remember that day and hearing that horrible news. Thinking of our 19 and their families today.


photo by Lauren Ristow


  1. Can't wait to hear about the trip! Thinking about visiting next summer and hoping the hike is doable within a 4 day timeframe!

  2. Sounds like you guys had an amazing time!! Can't wait to hear all about it!

  3. I went up for the day for the tattoo fest, and we did lunch and dinner in the square. I love that city so much. I am DYYYYYING to move up there!

    Tara O.


Blogging tips