Wednesday, October 26, 2016

On Finding Out Our GIRL News!


Oh my gosh, I just typed out that title and it's still a shock for me to even write. Never in my life did I think I would be having a little girl. I shared the news yesterday on Instagram but I wanted to type this all out so I wouldn't forget what turned out to be one of the most special days of our life.

Hank and I always talked about having a few kids. I would honestly have SIX if I could, but three became our magic number as time went on. I knew that when we tried for this baby, our third, that he or she would most likely be our last. We talked often about how badly I wanted to experience raising both sexes, but I also tried to remain firmly rooted in reality that the chances of that happening were slim. I always felt like if I set myself up to accept that it probably wouldn't happen, that if it didn't I would feel okay, and if it did, it would be an amazing surprise.

This time around I felt different the moment I became pregnant. I knew exactly what night it was while we were in Switzerland, because I swear, the next day things started tasting different. Had I read this coming from someone else I would be so skeptical, like how is that even possible? But I swear, this meat (in a traditional Swiss dish) I had previously loved suddenly tasted extremely gamey and gross and this little tiny voice in my head was like- "you're pregnant!" Then later when we got home, and found out I was in fact pregnant, I woke up one morning with the oddest taste in my mouth- almost like I had pennies in there- and everything tasted horribly metallic. I could brush my teeth 10x and even plain water still tasted like metal. It was the weirdest thing. I had NEVER experienced this with the boys so that same little voice was like "and it's a girl!" But of course I didn't believe it, even when I Googled and it said it was something called Dysgeusia, which comes from having more estrogen in your body. Interesting now, considering I absolutely do have more estrogen in my body since baby is in fact a girl!

As my pregnancy went on there were some noticeable differences, and now at almost 20 weeks I look back and it's so obvious how different this pregnancy has been even thought at first it felt the same. I felt no major queasiness with the boys, whereas this time I definitely did. No true morning sickness but just felt slightly nauseous overall throughout the day here and there. This time I have had strange food aversions and tastes, have felt more tired than ever in the first trimester, and my mood swings and emotions were all over the place. With the boys I felt elated from day one, but I was really depressed the entire first trimester with this pregnancy, which was a total surprise for me and out of the ordinary.

So when we went into the ultrasound and our tech started the process, my nerves were everywhere. Each pregnancy I've been so anxious over the fact that it's not a scan just for the sex of the baby, it's an anatomy scan that checks to be sure everything is growing and progressing as it should. It's nerve wracking, but the tech kept reassuring us that this looked good or that looked good as she moved through the ultrasound, and I started to feel better. Even so, the butterflies were still going strong as she approached the end of our hour and the anticipation of girl or boy was hanging in the air. In all of our previous ultrasounds with the boys I saw a penis pop up on the screen and it was very obvious (if you're a boy Mom you know what I'm talking about)...but this time I hadn't seen that yet.

Our tech said "Okay...do you want to know what you're having?" This is all in slow motion to me, which sounds so dramatic but when I think back to it, that's how it felt- and she said "You're having a perfectly healthy baby....GIRL!" We seriously SCREAMED and I immediately started crying. Hard! It was hands down one of the most amazing moments in my life. I did NOT think she was going to say girl and when she did...it was the coolest feeling ever. Hank and I are there, crying, so excited, and I keep asking her- ARE YOU SURE? She checked so many times for me and took some very obvious photos that showed- yes, she is definitely a girl.

So now I'm sitting here typing this out, still feeling in shock. It's a really odd feeling to want something so badly and then have it happen. If baby would have been a boy I would be equally as excited and grateful and over the moon- but still, there would have been a small part of my heart that would have felt sad. I've always felt I was meant to raise a girl, and now...here we are.

We are all SO excited to welcome this baby in our family, and March can't come soon enough. The boys absolutely flipped out over the news, and they're already devising ways to make sure she isn't into any princess stuff- trucks and sports only. Hank and I had such a sweet conversation last night about this new relationship he'll get to have as a father, and all of his "girl Dad" friends have been texting him the nicest (and funniest) words of wisdom and excitement. We've had a name for her for years and years (I'll share soon), and it all just feels so right. When she arrives our little family will be complete. It's surreal. And most importantly, baby is healthy and thriving, and everything is going well.

Thank you all so much for the excitement and happy wishes for us. It was overwhelming to read through all of the comments, and I was moved to tears so many times. I/we just feel so grateful to be pregnant again, and it's wonderful to be able to share bits and pieces of that here with all of you too. So much love.

xoxo

22 comments:

  1. YAYYYYYYY oh my gosh!!! Three little brothers would have abeen AMAZING but a GIRL!!! Oh my gosh!! I'm so pleased for you! Both my pregnancy were completely different but I had two girls. Although since she could crawl my eldest has always been a tom boy... so.... hmmm LOL! But having my second daughter i thought I was having a boy because I was severely sick- it landed me in hospital in fact for 3 days on a drip. And other things too but when she came out a girl I was so over joyed because I love having girls LOL one day I'll have that boy though because I do want to experience both and a son would be amazing ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been following you since before Henry was born. I think I found you through The Doe or The Deer and a Tattoo Tuesday post. I love seeing families change and grow! So exciting to see a part of your dreams realized. It's such a beautiful, special thing and I'm so happy for all of you. Congrats again ... I'm so looking forward to seeing pictures of her with her big brothers! I had three girls and then a boy and my girls were obsessed with him from the moment he was born. My oldest is not girly and swore she would teach her brother to skateboard, dirt bike and rock climb ... so far, so good :). 2 big brothers sounds like an awesome scenario for a baby girl! How precious those pictures and memories will be for her!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats!! That's so amazing!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so great! I have always loved watching you with your boys on Instagram. When I was pregnant it was a comfort to me to see your relationship with them. I have also always felt like I would have a daughter and I was so worried I would be disappointed if I had a boy. So worried in fact that I didn't find out the sex until he was born. Of course, once I met him he was perfect and I can't imagine ever wanting him to be anything but what he is. Being a boy mom is such a wonderful experience. But I can only imagine how you must have felt hearing GIRL! Maybe someday I'll get to hear that magic word too. Or maybe I'll get another precious boy. Either way, there's nothing like being a mama. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations!! So happy for you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awe, now I am in tears reading this! I can't wait to meet this precious little girl! Hurry up and get here baby H! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am so excited for your daughter to read this post someday. My mom kept a journal and wrote about finding out I was a girl and she said "I got my girl! I got my girl!" and it was so special for me to read all of these years later. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I started crying at "we've had her name picked out for years and years" as a mom of a boy and a girl I'm so excited to hear of how your girl experience is. It's so magical in its own special way. God bless your little family.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congrats!!! It seems like so many mommies and mommies to be are expecting girls right now. Before I found out I was expecting a girl, a lot of people on my pregnancy app for expecting mothers due in December were expecting boys but then I found out our first is going to be a girl! My cousin who is due in February is expecting a girl as well and there are like 3-4 other women at her work that are pregnant and they are all expecting girls. A lot of Bloggers that I follow that recently gave birth or our pregnant seem to mostly be expecting girls as well (minus I think like one who is expecting a boy). So very happy for you and your family!

    http://dogmomchic.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh what lovely news. Congratulations to you both :)

    Rhi x
    www.rinkydinkyrhi.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Awww congrats!! When the tech told us our second was a girl I didn't believe her...I'm pretty sure I gasped out loud and then the rest of the day I couldn't erase the smile from my face. Our first was a boy and I always wanted a boy...and never realized how much I also wanted a girl until that day :) So Congrats! Girls are so sweet and just as fun and crazy as boys (so far anyways!)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congratulations! Can't wait to hear what lovely name you pick out!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congrats on the news! I have two little girls and it has been so sweet!
    Also, for both my pregnancies, especially the 2nd one I knew instantly I was pregnant too. I knew so quickly that I had to wait 1-2 weeks until the test came back positive to prove to my husband what I already knew. It was just a weird feeling like I got a little light headed, saw stars and felt this incredible amount of peace for just a few minutes and started rubbing my belly. I don't know how to explain it and no one ever believes me either. In fact, I kind of forgot about it, until you brought up your story.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have been following you since the tattoo tuesday posts and have read every single post after this. I really love your letters to Henry. Then Charlie came along and I was pregnant with our first son - also called Henry :) And now you are pregnant with a sweet baby girl! I am so excited for you! Love to know your baby girl name! (ours, if we would have a babygirl, will be Evelyn, Violet or Genevieve.) So happy for you! Lots of love from the Netherlands :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is wonderful news !!!! So excited for ya'll. ( :

    ReplyDelete
  16. So sweet! Congratulations!
    Donna NY

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh, congratulations!!!! Obviously, either sex would have been great news, but awwwwwww I'm so happy you got your girl wish (if only for the awesome clothes girls get!).

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow, this post actually made me tear up a bit! What an amazing moment. I can't wait to hear the name you have picked out!

    ReplyDelete
  19. The toes in your pregnancy announcement photo are pink...foreshadowing without even knowing it!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I experienced that same metallic taste (it was actually the first thing that made me think I was in fact pregnant) and I had a girl too! didn't know it was actually a thing, lol. Congrats mama!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Congratulations, Danielle! It's Mandy here and since I deleted my social media I realized I had missed your updates. Anna must have known because she texted me earlier to fill me in on your good news ;) Anyways - another BIG congrats to your family, I am so excited for you! Girls are so amazingly sweet and special and she is going to be the best addition to your crew.

    ReplyDelete
  22. This makes me so happy. I've been following you FOREVER. You're part of the reason I started Plays Well With Coffee (my blog!) and I'm so excited that you're sharing this journey with us and man - I might have teared up a bit reading this... ESPECIALLY the part about Hank and being the father of a little girl. Oh man... this is amazing... congratulations!!!

    ReplyDelete