Friday, October 7, 2016

Read. Watch. Listen.


So I finished this book last night and all morning I've been preoccupied thinking about it and processing it. Have you read it? There's so much to say- and it's hard because I don't want to say too much, but I also feel like I have a lot of thoughts about it. The biggest thing is how much I enjoyed reading it. And not in a "oh this is such a fun book!" kind of way but in an up and down, all around, every emotion kind of way. I related so much to so many parts of this book. I cried numerous times. I felt elated and then really really sad. It was almost like reading someone's diary- but while the author's struggles may not be my own personal struggles, there were so many bits that had me nodding my head saying "me too" on one level or another. I think anyone would be able to find even some part of her story relatable. It was a gripping book- the author is VERY vulnerable throughout, and it inspired me in so many different ways to be more raw and real...and to speak my own truth. One word of caution though, towards the end of the book God becomes a big part of the story. I didn't mind one bit, but I know that some people may be turned off. For me though it was just part of the bigger picture and I thought it was just beautiful. And yes, that was a very vague book review, but that's how I like them. I hate knowing too much. So I'm just gonna say- go read it!


If you have HBO, you have to watch the sneak preview of the Divorce premiere that they just released. It's a new series starring Sarah Jessica Parker, and I think show will definitely be a big hit. I loved it. I thought SJP's acting was spot on, and the story (all about you guessed it, divorce!) is great. I also thought it was so interesting how my perception of her character shifted a few times just in this first episode. I hadn't seen the trailer beforehand- I just logged into HBO Go to watch Six Feet Under (my new obsession, so good!) and this was at the top. I watched the trailer after, and I actually would recommend seeing the first episode and THEN seeing the trailer like I did! Have you seen this yet? What did you think?


I'm in such a music rut right now. This happens every so often and it usually precedes a great new musical discovery or just going back to old favorites. Right now I've had the Spotify 90s playlist on a big loop while I'm doing cardio, but I'm over it. I need new music! I can remember the summer my friend showed me The Gaslight Anthem- it was such a fun time of musical new-ness, I basically devoured all of their albums over the course of those few months. I want to find something to fall in love with like that again! So rather than share something here, I'm asking for your suggestions! What is your current must-listen music right now? I love every genre, from country to classical, so I am all ears!



  1. I am behind several others in the library hold line for that book and am seriously considering just buying it--because I am pretty sure I will end up doing it anyway based on what I have heard of it so far. Is it buy-worthy?

    1. Absolutely! I wish I had a hard copy- I do a lot of "highlighting" in the Kindle but nothing's like marking up a real book. I say go for it!

  2. Oh my gracious. I can give you so many music suggestions. Prepare yourself.

    1. Anything by the band Bootstraps. Their first album? Perfection. Their second album, Homage, which is all covers of other songs? So good. One of my favorite bands.

    2. The Head and The Heart "All We Ever Knew"

    3. the band Kaleo. Gracious. So good. "Way Down We Go", "All the Pretty Girls", "Save Yourself" and "Automobile." are my favorites.

    4. Cobi's "Don't You Cry For Me"
    5. Blind Pilot's "Half Moon"
    6. X Ambassadors "Kerosene Dreams"
    7. Bastille "Fake It"
    8. Ben Howard "Old Pine."
    9. Andrew Belle "Dive Deep."
    10. Matt Corby "Monday."

    I'm a music nerd haha

    1. Yay! Thank you so much. A lot of this is new to me! :) I do LOVE Ben Howard though! <3

  3. I'll have to check out that book, sounds good! Some of my favorite bands are alkaline trio, the sounds, the get up kids, face to face, rancid and Tim armstrongs solo stuff, dashboard confessional, Reggie and the full effect I could go on but hopefully maybe there's something in there you'll like. Btw congrats on baby #3!!!!!!

  4. I just started listening to Julien Baker. I was immediately obsessed and have not wanted to listen to anything, but her album for the past few weeks.

  5. I havent loved anything new in oh so long. I have recently rediscovered my love for motion city soundtrack while I do circuits

  6. The Menzingers! All albums are great!

  7. Banks is my all time favorite musician, her music is very dark and moody and electro/alt R&B... very interesting. For something a little lighter, I've just been loving the Relax & Unwind Spotify playlist for driving, so relaxing!

    Danielle @ afloat on a full sea

  8. My husband just came across Steam Powered Giraffe which is highly addicting (go to the website and read the "lore" too - so creative!).

  9. I totally know what you mean about getting into a musical rut. Here are a few bands that I devoured after one of those said ruts:

    1. The Strumbellas
    2. Two Door Cinema Club
    3. Bleachers
    4. Bombay Bicycle Club
    5. Nightbeds
    6. In the Valley Below
    7. The Neighbourhood

  10. Check out Band of Horses. If you have never heard of them, they are amazing all around. If you have heard of them, they just put out a new album recently that is amazing!

  11. Some of my fall go-to artists/bands are Sufjan Stevens, Dear and the Headlights, Explosions in the Sky, Manchester Orchestra, Margot & the Nuclear So and So's, Murder by Death and Shakey Graves. You may have heard of all of these, but they are some of my favorites! Hope you find something you absolutely love! :)

  12. Have you ever gotten into American Steel? One of my favorites!

    And for some silly, quirky stuff, check out NoBunny.

    I've also been LOVING the new Dolly Parton album (at least the first half, why do they always put the best songs first?!)

    Tara O.

  13. I've had the new Bruce Springsteen album on repeat. Brandi Carlisle. Julien Baker. The 1975.


Blogging tips