Thursday, December 1, 2016

The Babymoon Retreat + The Birth Hour Podcast


This past month I had the opportunity to be a part of something really special- the very first Babymoon Retreat that just so happened to take place in Sedona, AZ. Sarah is also pregnant (YAY!), so she accompanied me on this adventure. It was neat to have us both there, because we have two very different points of view- she is a first time expectant mama, and obviously this is my third! I wanted to be sure to get Sarah's first-time mama perspective, so you'll be able to read a little write up from her below sharing more about her experience too. I was only able to attend for a couple of days, but the retreat went all week and included everything from childbirth and postpartum education with a doula, one-on-one coaching, activities, prenatal photos, incredible meals, community, and so much more. You can check out the full spectrum over on their website. While at the retreat, I also had the opportunity to be a part of The Birth Hour podcast along with the other attendees (SUCH a fun experience) and you can listen to our episode here.




And here is Sarah's write-up:

Being a first-time mama-to-be, I’m always on the hunt for good information regarding pregnancy. There are so many questions, so many worries that run through my mind on a daily basis that it can sometimes border on insanity. When Danielle asked if I wanted to join her on a retreat in Sedona (one of my very favorite places!) that was centered around all things pregnancy and childbirth, I replied with an eager “Uh, YES!!” and marked my calendar.

I had no idea what to expect from this experience and was definitely a bit nervous that I would feel out of place, since most of the couples on the retreat were much further along than me and I was there on my own for some of the classes. Luckily, that couldn’t have been further from the truth. I felt incredibly welcome the whole week and made some really great connections with both the instructors and attending couples.

One of my favorite things about the retreat was the way it was structured. We had several hours each morning to sleep in, explore the resort or laze around before everyone met up for class. There was plenty of free time in the afternoons/evenings as well, which was great because Enchantment has a long list of resort activities to participate in. I ended up doing lots of hiking each day, relaxing at the spa and also got the best massage of my life (all included in the package).

Another noteworthy part of the retreat - the food! They must have made this a big focus because everything they fed us was absolutely amazing. Breakfast and lunch buffets every day before and during classes, along with plenty of surprise treats in between (still missing those chocolate chip cookies!). They also held candle-lit welcome & farewell dinners for the group which were so lovely and a great way to start and end the week!

While the amenities, people and atmosphere were fabulous, the most valuable part of the retreat, for me, was the class-time. I knew I was no expert, but I had no idea just how much I was about to learn. I walked into that conference room on the first day expecting to gather some pretty basic info about my pregnancy and what I got instead, were four days of super intensive, detailed training about every facet of childbirth, breastfeeding, infant and post-partum care. My husband laughed at the amount of notes I jotted down but I really felt that I was receiving a once-in-a-lifetime education and wanted to remember it all!

Our instructor, Stephanie Spitzer-Hanks, was just fantastic. In addition to being a Doula and Lactation Counselor, Stephanie has also spent time as a reverend and chaplain! I have a huge amount of respect for her and even joked about moving to Austin temporarily so that she could be there for my own birth. You can find more info about her through her website revdoula.com.

Thank you Sarah for sharing, and friends, be sure to check out The Babymoon Retreat's website too as they JUST opened up registration for their next retreat, happening this March in Texas. Super exciting!

xoxo

1 comment:

  1. Wow looks great.
    http://clothesinspired.blogspot.com
    www.yvesofstyle.com

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips