Wednesday, December 14, 2016

Book Review: After I Do


I have been on the biggest reading kick lately. Sometimes I go through slumps where I don't read much for a week or so, but over the past month I think I've read 7 books! I've been trying to switch all of my before bed time to reading, rather than television or mindlessly scrolling through my phone. I feel like I am better rested and just overall happier when I avoid those time sucks, and even if reading uses the same time I feel so much more productive! So I'll be sharing all of the books I've read in upcoming posts- I've liked almost every one- and today's book is definitely a new one to love.

One of my favorite things to do is download a ton of samples to my Kindle, then spend time going through each one and hopefully finding new books to read in the process. The other night the boys went to bed early and I think I spend close to an hour downloading so many samples, and ended up finding quite a few new-to-me books! This was one of them.

After I Do is a novel that reads almost like a memoir. It's very engaging and I think one of the biggest things that stood out to me was the character development. Sometimes I have a hard time remembering names or details of all of the characters in a book but not this one. It's a slow build and you really, really get to know and love each of the characters in the story.

In a nutshell (without giving too much away), the novel is about a married couple who hits a wall. They fall out of love and decide to spend a year apart. That's all I'll say about that, but just know the storytelling is so great, and it was a total page turner for me. As someone who has been in the same relationship for her entire adult life, I found so many emotions inside of this book- part cautionary tale, part inspiring, part beautiful, sad, scary, you name it. I highly recommend this book to anyone looking for an engaging read that will keep you busy all the way through. It almost feels like a beach read, but the writing is so good that it transcends into somewhere between. I hope you love it as much as I did!

Find it here.

Happy reading!
xo

6 comments:

  1. I've been searching for a new book to read so I may have to try this out! I love reading and I haven't read in a while. Thanks for the recommendation!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds right up my alley! I love a good memoir (or memoir style) with good character development. This is exactly my favorite type of book.
    Have you read The Atomic Weight of Love? I read it this autumn and a little piece of it will live in my soul forever, I'm sure of it. It's a beautiful, beautiful, beautiful character study as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This looks so good. I'm adding it to the list.

      Delete
  3. I recently read this and loved it! TJR is fantastic at character development and capturing what conversations between family members is really like. If you haven't yet read her newest book, One True Loves, I HIGHLY recommend it. It's one of my favourite reads of the whole year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes! I like loved this book in about the same way you expressed. After I Do was the first one on TJR that I read. The rest of hers are great too (HIGHLY recommend)!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love TJR. I have her newest on my shelf to read - the title escapes me. I recently deleted my entire Amazon wish list and decided I was just going to let books find me and it's been a delight.

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips