Tuesday, August 1, 2017

An August 1st Update


It's August- or Blogust, as a commenter on Instagram named this month in regards to my previous post about my new blogging challenge. It starts today, and I'll be sharing a post every weekday during this month. So here we are. In the spirit of all of it I figured I would share a rambling update about everything going on in our world.

But where to even begin? This is where I get stopped so often when I sit down to write here. But like an old friend you haven't spoken to in awhile, do you just avoid getting together and catching up because there's just too much to say? No. You just pick up where you left off. I'm trying to imagine how it would go in that situation. You'd probably each give a summarized version of the past few years, catch each other up, then move on. And that's exactly what I'll do here, if you don't mind.

So--

Hi friend. Thanks for coming back to this space. I know it's been awhile- here and there, sure- but not something you could count on. I'm glad to see you again! Here's what's been going on in my world since we last spoke. I have three little ones! Can you believe it? We had our third (and final) baby this past March and she's almost 5 months old. That's a shock in itself, thinking that our little Olive is almost half a year old. Where has the time gone? I swear with every baby it goes by faster and faster. It's really overwhelming and there are some days I'll sit with her, willing myself to remember every detail, to take it in, soak up as much as I can. But that's never how it goes, and now even with the boys it's hard to think back and recall specific details of what "2" was like, or what the newborn days consisted of. But I can remember how they felt, so if anything, I hope I can always remember the feeling of my sweet girl against my chest, nestled into my neck, tiny little breaths in and out, in and out.

Recovery from this third c-section has been the easiest of all, which came as a surprise to me. I really believed it would be the worst, which is no way to go into anything, but I was pleasantly surprised to feel like I bounced back both physically and emotionally a little bit quicker. That's not to say I feel back to myself yet- I swear it takes years, but I'm feeling pretty great and in a good place- just trying to adjust to our ever-evolving new normal and balancing three kids plus work...which isn't the easiest thing.

The boys are getting so big. Henry is turning 7 in the Fall and begins 1st grade later this week. Charlie is in Pre-K and turns four in two weeks. Both of them have grown up so much, and seem even older with Olive there in sharp contrast. Much to Hank's joy, Henry is currently obsessed with all things Star Wars. He's reading a LOT, full on big kid chapter books, and loves everything sports and science. We also started the Harry Potter series a couple weeks ago and he's hooked. Charlie is super into trucks, especially monster trucks, and if he's not playing with them he's sitting down to draw them. I'll have to share some of his artwork soon- he's a shockingly great artist and Hank and I are blown away everyday with the things he creates. Both boys will be starting soccer again in a few weeks too, and they're so excited. This will be H's third year, and Charlie's first.

The transition from two to three kids has been tough. If I'm being honest I did not go into it thinking it would be hard. I kind of felt like it was one of those things that everyone said would be hard, but then once we were in it, it wouldn't be so bad. Nope! Two to three is bananas. There has been growing pains of all sorts, from Charlie acting out to Henry feeling like he wants to be in charge. All understandably so though, right? The kiddos are older and set in their routines, and then suddenly Mommy can't get on the floor and play, or they need to be quiet while Olive is napping, or we can't spend time in the same way we did before. I can only imagine being 3 years old like Charlie and feeling like that. So when it's hard, I always try to remember that these are big emotions for little people. I do feel like it's all evening out a bit now as we grow into our new normal. But I now know why people say once you have three kids, you may as well just have more. The crazy is already there, so why not just add to it, right? haha.

Life is so sweet right now though. I hate to say "busy," but with work and the boys and Olive...that's exactly what we are. I read something the other day though that said you should never say busy- say full! That way you're giving it a positive connotation, rather than negative. It's all semantics really but yes, our life is very full right now. As for work I have a lot going on. Still working with Ergobaby and loving it, but I've also added on a new social client and all of the brands Nicole and I work with. Bebe au Lait, Puj, Rags to Raches...the list goes on. I LOVE doing what I do though, and I feel really satisfied at the end of each day. However you know what's weird? Lately I've been missing teaching SO much. One of my friend is an English teacher and seeing her posts makes me really nostalgic for the days of discussing my favorite novels, deep diving into American Lit, and just being around wonderful teenagers. Not kidding when I say wonderful either- I love that age.

Hank and I celebrated our 9 year wedding anniversary this past May and it was great. The older we get and the more life we experience together, the more I love him. And not just love him, like him. I say that a lot- at this point I feel it's so important to actually LIKE the person you're with. And I do. Being married to my best friend is everything to me, and now that we're going through harder life things together I can't even begin to express the comfort and deep, deep love I feel to know he is always there for me.

And the harder life stuff? Right now it's watching my Dad go through his health problems. He's terminal, stage 4 lung and liver cancer. He began immunotherapy this past week and we are hoping for the best, but it's still not any sort of outcome we would want. Why can't people live forever? It's another post for another day, but it hurts so badly to think about.

But summer is in full swing in Prescott and it's beautiful outside. We just recently completed our backyard and just sitting out there brings me so much joy. We've lived 7 years in our home without a proper place to spend outside, and it's so nice to just let the kids play while I make dinner. They can run in the grass, jump on the trampoline, dig in the sandpit, etc. I'll share more about the space soon. We had gone back and forth about moving, and the end result of so many conversations is to sit tight where we are, and continue to save, save, save until we're ready to build our forever home. We only want to move once.

So this is a good start. There's still so much to say, and I have a list a mile long of blog topics to cover this month. My hope is that it jumpstarts me back to sharing on the regular, because at the root of it I miss this hobby of mine and it's important for me to find a way back to it. I also love connecting with all of you.

Goodbye for now. Until tomorrow, which is so cool to be able to count on. And I hope you're doing well too, my friend, wherever you are. Talk to you soon.

xoxo

16 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry about your dad. Hopefully he can live his best life right now. I can't imagine being Henry or Charlie's ages and losing a grandparent - I'm so thankful I had grandparents into my 20s. Treasure these moments and give him as much time with the kiddos as he wants. I'm 35 (almost) and miss my grandfathers terribly (I didn't have a good relationship with my dad's mom). I will always regret not spending more time - I was much too busy in my 20s to go visit or deal with family drama. I still refuse to deal with family drama, but I call my remaining grandmother at least once a week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for the kind words, Brianna! Lots of love.

      Delete
  2. So excited to follow along with you on this challenge! Your words are always interesting and inspiring. I am pregnant with my second child and I am having a hard time deciding between trying for a VBAC or scheduling a RCS. My first was an emergency c-sec after a very long labor and I just can't make up my mind about what will be best for me this time around so I was wondering what made you decide to have RCS with your babies? Would love to hear your thoughts on the subject, if you're interested in discussing your births in one of these lovely posts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Jesse! Absolutely. I will share a post on that soon. Thank you for the sweet words- and sending happy birthing vibes your way! xoxo

      Delete
  3. Oh how I've missed your posts! Been following along since before you were pregnant with Henry and it makes me feel like I know you...I'm sure you hear that a lot and I feel creepy saying it, but it's true! You're just so relatable and we have so much in common :)
    I am so sorry about your dad. Life can be so tough sometimes. Hugs! I sure hope he's able to get enjoyment out of life right now. I teared up when u posted about the letters he wrote you on Instagram. What a cool thing to have as a memento!!
    Thanks for sharing an update and I'm always following along as long as you're sharing ;)
    -Danielle LeBlanc :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Danielle! Ahh, soo glad you're stoked too. I'm happy to be "back" more regularly.

      Thanks for all the love and support. Right back atcha! xo

      Delete
  4. Hi Danielle, it's good to have you back, even though you never really left (and never did I, lol). I couldn't help but smile when I noticed the length of your post... Once you start, the words just roll in, I know the feeling!
    Anyway, thanks for this update on your life. I'm very sorry about your Dad and I wish you all the best. Life can be so sweet and incredibly hard at the same time, and I admire the way you're able to still take in the good moments in the midsts of what must be a very difficult time. My thoughts are with you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so very much, Isabelle. It means so much to me to feel all of this love and support. Lots of love right back to you. Thanks for reading! :)

      Delete
  5. Super excited about your blog coming back!! Always loved it, feel like I've been reading forever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Kelly! Yay! Thank you so much for being excited. I'm so excited too.

      xoxo

      Delete
  6. I'm loving your "Blogust"! So sorry about your father...will definitely be keeping him and your family in my prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your kids are so sweet and so SMART! Wow chapter books!? Cute!
    Sorry about your Dad. If words really could kill, it would have been when I heard my mom say that my dad died:( So so sad. I grieve, but not as one without hope. My father and I WILL live forever together again. Just not here. In heaven. I'm so thankful that I have this hope in Jesus. I don't know how people can do anything otherwise. Much love to you all!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so sorry about your father. My aunt had stage four lung cancer as well, it's so bitterly awful to go through that experience and my heart aches for you and your family. Know that while I have just been a reader (and viewer, I suppose, on Instagram) for a handful of years and we don't really KNOW each other, I do think of you and your family during this tough time and try to send out what positive thoughts and energy I can.

    On a lighter note, it's lovely to see your post! Thank you for this, as I am about to get married and dream of having kids (but I have no siblings so I can't even have someone up close to watch and learn from) but I learn from you and other bloggers, the trials and the successes of marriage and kid rearing. So thanks for your openness, I appreciate it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is so inspiring! As someone who just started blogging, it's been difficult planning content and then holding myself accountable, but it's wonderful to see it in action and successful!

    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete