Thursday, August 31, 2017

Learning with Leapfrog


When I was a kid I lived for computer games. Oregon Trail days were the best, and I remember making birthday banners in Print Shop on my Dad's old Apple desktop, ripping off the sides of the paper after it came out of that noisy printer. I've talked about it in previous posts, but raising our kids in a low-tech home has always been important to us. But, now that the boys are getting bigger I realize the need to strike a balance and find ways to integrate it into our world. They work with learning applications on iPads and computers in school, and it's important for me to raise our kids to feel comfortable with all types of learning, especially via technology. 

When LeapFrog reached out to us about partnering up to try out their new LeapFrog Academy learning program, it was pretty perfect timing. Hank and I had just been talking about trying out something like this with Henry and Charlie (see my post here), and when I learned about the program I was excited to give it a whirl. The age range falls perfectly for both boys as it works for kids ages 3-6. It covers all the core subjects, but goes beyond and makes it fun for the boys with learning games and activities, suitable for preschool through first grade. 

Set up was simple and it was easy to use, even the first time checking it out. The boys got to choose avatars, and within seconds they were off. Now, I don't have a ton of experience with current kids' computer programs, but from what I do know, in-app purchases are the worst. So I was happy to hear that not only does LeapFrog not have any, but they also don't show any ads. All learning, all the time. Another cool plus is the "favorites" section, which allows users to select up to 24 of their favorite LeapFrog Academy games available to play offline anytime. This is a feature I'll be using on some upcoming air travel with the boys. 

It's been a couple weeks now, and Henry, Charlie and I are really enjoying using the program a few times a week. I love that our time on the computer is piggybacking on what they're already learning in school, and I'm looking forward to seeing their progress as we go along! We are all about enriching the educational experience with books, trips and anything possible, and I'm very into the fact that this is hitting on the technology side. Very cool. 

I'll keep you updated, but come join me over on LeapFrog Academy – you can even get a month of free access via that link. I'd love to hear what you and your kiddos think, so please keep me posted! Happy learning...and LeapFrogging!


This post was shared in partnership with LeapFrog.

No comments:

Post a Comment